Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm and Convective Discussion 10th June Onwards

The PIT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Windy, rumbly, flashy or snowy.

I think you are further north than I am, plus I have the missus playing Skyrim in the background drowning it out. Plus a fan.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Dark, thundery bases in clouds to my east. It looks like the small showers will pass me by.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

So black here the street lights have come on in Shropshire.

needed lights on here as well, heavens opened for around half hour, but no lightning/thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

As amazing as it may sound, there was absolutely nothing around here last night, as far as I know...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I wonder why it has felt so hot at night the last few days even thought temps haven't been that high. It was 13 here last night but felt like it was in the 20's!

Posted

I wonder why it has felt so hot at night the last few days even thought temps haven't been that high. It was 13 here last night but felt like it was in the 20's!

Relatively high dew points meaning that evaporation is poor (from the skin) making it feel stickyHigh dew points can be really uncomfortable in equatorial regions compared to low dew points in desert regions where high temperatures are more easily tolerated
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

You see this is real danger, isn't it...? I cannot see how anyone can say they truly aren't scared of thunderstorms... 10 houses, and that was just the reported in Reading!!

I would have been absolutely distraught if these storms had of affected Leicester.... By God I would have been terrified!! It was bad enough on here with all you lot like you were at firework displays, how can you not be scared of situations like that, especially at such close quarters... I bet Gordon was worried as well, even though we didn't have storms, we were lucky.....

Just how can you overcome the fear of thunder when actually, it is dangerous unlike clowns, pavement cracks etc......

I was a little worried for a while as things seemed to be getting going in the north of england just as was forecast last night and then It didn't happen all I had was some rain come through between 10-11.30pm went to bed shortly after as the radar didn't look threatening to the north and even though there were some showers further south it wasn't that extensive at the time I went to bed only this morning did I see what happened later on in the night

and I'M GLAD I wasn't there

Edited by Gordon Webb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and a cracking thunderstorm

First post on this forum but as I live in Farnham and stayed up till 4am watching the storm I couldn't resist. I didn't think we were due anything yesterday and for once didn't watch the radar, so the first I saw of storm activity was distant lightning over Reading way about 11:30pm. By the time it hit us it was really impressive...sadly didn't get to take any photos or video which I really regret. Reminded me of a storm I was in when travelling from Frankfurt to Bruchsal as a teenager in the early 90s :D

A very warm (literally - with how it's feeling outside) welcome to NetWeather's Forum. :)Fingers crossed you'll get another decent storm in your area soon and we'll look forward to the pics. :)
  • Like 1

Posted

There was nothing but a bit of rain in inner west London, but someone I was talking to earlier said the thunder and lightning lasted in the Maidenhead area for well over four hours, far too loud to sleep through, even if he hadn't had to stay up keeping his terrified dog company.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

BBC forecast plays down anything happening at all tonight other than 'the odd shower'.

Then again they seem to be denying anything happened last night so I'm keeping an open mind...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Last night the temps didn't drop below 18c here! Had a downpour at 4am but the crash, bang, wallop show, stayed out to my west!

Posted

Hmmmmm, died a death this thread.....

So, when's the next wave of stormy weather to breach the UK expected.....? Still awfully humid down here in Leicester, don't know what it's like anywhere else in the Country......?

Posted

Hi all

Has a small storm in Mallorca and managed to get my first lightning pic on my phone

post-18254-0-22873200-1402833427_thumb.j

Edited by Tom Jarvis
  • Like 5

Posted

Met Office messed up proper with this one.

I criticised the MetO for their convective forecasting the other day, and today's yellow zone is but further evidence of their weakness in this area of forecasting. 

Not to dwell too much...but it's interesting you both have this view..because from my point of view it was extremely well forecast, considering the complexity of the set-up and multiple trigger mechanisms. However, unfortunately it seems this info was not disseminated to the public in a way that reflects this...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

because from my point of view it was extremely well forecast

Yup. Nothing like putting a yellow warning in the wrong place!
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Not to dwell too much...but it's interesting you both have this view..because from my point of view it was extremely well forecast, considering the complexity of the set-up and multiple trigger mechanisms. However, unfortunately it seems this info was not disseminated to the public in a way that reflects this...

I checked the BBC graphics lunchtime on Friday and they showed pretty much exactly what happened and in the right place too.  If memory serves me correctly, I seem to recall that they also predicted the convection to reach maximum intensity around 4pm which it did (although perhaps the storms reached maximum electrical intensity somewhat earlier).

Having said that, the convection was probably more intense and more widespread than predicted and the movement of the showers was, initially at least, NW-SE as opposed to the forecast N-S.

Overall though, it seems to have been pretty good call to me, based on those graphics alone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

A very warm (literally - with how it's feeling outside) welcome to NetWeather's Forum. :)Fingers crossed you'll get another decent storm in your area soon and we'll look forward to the pics. :)

Thanks! Much fresher here today -overcast but nothing of interest. Roll on the next storm...if nothing else it makes up for a dire winter.

Posted

the warington and wigan storm last tues, (not my vid)  you can hear the thunder approaching is almost non stop, the violent marble size hail happens near the end of the clip,  believe me the thunder much louder in the flesh , and the lightning was brighter, 8.00 is were the real fun starts

Edited by IanR
  • Like 3

Posted

Just wondering if anyone could give me a real quick reply - where am I More likely to see thunderstorms in first 2 weeks of July - Corfu, or corsa bravo (NE Spain)

No real idea if what it's like in Corfu?

Posted

Just wondering if anyone could give me a real quick reply - where am I More likely to see thunderstorms in first 2 weeks of July - Corfu, or corsa bravo (NE Spain)No real idea if what it's like in Corfu?

If I was to pick between those two I would say NE Spain as the Mediterranean (Corfu etc) tends to be wall to wall sunshine in July. NE Spain could benefit from storms coming off the Pyrenees although I would still say the risk is low. For more guaranteed storm action in July somewhere like Northern Italy into Slovenia would be a good bet. Of course nowhere in Europe is 100% predictable, so this is based on average weather in these countries over a number of years.

Posted

Just wondering if anyone could give me a real quick reply - where am I More likely to see thunderstorms in first 2 weeks of July - Corfu, or corsa bravo (NE Spain)No real idea if what it's like in Corfu?

More likely of a decent thunderstorm on the Costa Brava, IMO.

Just wondering if anyone could give me a real quick reply - where am I More likely to see thunderstorms in first 2 weeks of July - Corfu, or corsa bravo (NE Spain) No real idea if what it's like in Corfu?

corfu can be hit and miss , storms usualy build over the albainian mountains and drift over , on two separate hols to agg steph in the north east , storms almost every night , on the other nothing for a hole two weeks , I believe September's a good time for storms there !!.....