Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm and Convective Discussion 10th June Onwards

The PIT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow

I was woken up by the thunder and lightning around 3:30am and managed to record some of it on my phone, so here are some still frames of what I recorded:

post-19368-0-48186400-1402745210_thumb.p

post-19368-0-44410800-1402745213_thumb.p

post-19368-0-79752300-1402745215_thumb.p

post-19368-0-60917300-1402745220_thumb.p

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Thundery or Cold & Snowy

Wow! Last night was just incredible. Best series of storms i've seen in years, had four of them one right after another lost count at the amount of Cg's and IC's there were. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

You are all so lucky, seems like many of you have had quite intense little storms. Now if only they could decide to head Medway way.... :sorry:

Posted

I'm just looking at the line of storms thats absolutely mullering Italy at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Thundery or Cold & Snowy

Very warm and muggy outside still, currently 18.8c. Some nice convection going on as well overhead and to our North and East don't know if we can be extremely lucky and bag a fifth storm today :p

Posted

Just had some heavy drizzle go though, but not expecting anything stormy at all later.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

No mention of anything of interest on the national forecast. Ironically better than yesterday much more humid although temps are a smidgen lower. Band of showers to east of us seem to have some bright colours so probably will provide some entertainment to the south of us. Not expecting anything at all today once again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Couple of stills taken from a video I did last night of the storm in Stroud.

post-15744-0-54340800-1402748743_thumb.j

post-15744-0-11065100-1402748744_thumb.j

post-15744-0-80117400-1402748744_thumb.j

post-15744-0-44715400-1402748745_thumb.j

post-15744-0-97162800-1402748745_thumb.j

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

It's roasting here, 23°C

Some Cumulus Congestus developing, dark bases to them. It does seem as though showers may get going later, normally from 5pm in this location.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

A few heavier showers now brewing up especially to the W/SW of London, also across parts of S Yorkshire & the Midlands.  Wouldn't be surprised if anyone hears the odd rumble! 

post-9615-0-70221100-1402749281_thumb.pnpost-9615-0-74221200-1402749274_thumb.pn

Posted

How do these sort of very isolated showers/storms form? I get how a big system forms, but what's the difference?

Posted

Haha I've been waiting years to get a lightning shot, it's an ambition to get one good enough to frame and put on the wall, one day...I bought my bridge camera last year, when all those storms were coming across the channel- perfect timing I thought, it all avoided here. :laugh:Just got this from Twitter10 houses caught fire - http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/app/news/reading/articles/2014/06/14/101171-lightning-storms-cause-multiple-house-fires-across-reading/

You see this is real danger, isn't it...? I cannot see how anyone can say they truly aren't scared of thunderstorms... 10 houses, and that was just the reported in Reading!!

I would have been absolutely distraught if these storms had of affected Leicester.... By God I would have been terrified!! It was bad enough on here with all you lot like you were at firework displays, how can you not be scared of situations like that, especially at such close quarters... I bet Gordon was worried as well, even though we didn't have storms, we were lucky.....

Just how can you overcome the fear of thunder when actually, it is dangerous unlike clowns, pavement cracks etc......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Thunderstorm brewing??

post-21143-0-52118700-1402750014_thumb.jpost-21143-0-34652400-1402750015_thumb.j

• Like 2

Posted

Very jealous of all you folks who got some fireworks last night! Looked like some really good storms!

Lots of good pics coming onto here!

Oh and Speedway, i think anybody on here will admit that when a thunderstorm is approaching them, no matter how much of a storm lover they are, they will always be feeling abit of fear, i certainly do, but it just gets my adrenaline going and makes me even more exited.

Edited by ChezWeather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow

I was woken up by the thunder and lightning around 3:30am and managed to record some of it on my phone, so here are some still frames of what I recorded:

Here's an edited video of last night's storm: (To hear the thunder you'll need to turn the volume up)

Edited by jamesslater93
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

Been cloudy here all morning after last nights storm pushed through. Sun is now out though and the temperature is beginning to climb, recording 18.8'c at the minute up from 16.3'c less than an hour ago. Still feels uncomfortably humid and warm out. Some good cumulus development evident in the clearer blue sky as well, not sure if we'll see any more storms today, certainly feels ripe for a storm at the minute though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

You see this is real danger, isn't it...? I cannot see how anyone can say they truly aren't scared of thunderstorms... 10 houses, and that was just the reported in Reading!!I would have been absolutely distraught if these storms had of affected Leicester.... By God I would have been terrified!! It was bad enough on here with all you lot like you were at firework displays, how can you not be scared of situations like that, especially at such close quarters... I bet Gordon was worried as well, even though we didn't have storms, we were lucky.....Just how can you overcome the fear of thunder when actually, it is dangerous unlike clowns, pavement cracks etc......

Was weird last night cos I went to the Mount in Guildford first and could see a storm way off over Berkshire area but the forks were clearly visible. However I had a pang of nerves being so high up ad not being able to make out the clouds nearby so for safety I got back in the van and headed off.Got to the Hog's back and realised I had miscalculated the direction of the storm... It was heading right for us! Got out and got a few shots but this time I let the storm get a lot closer. What's weird is I felt safer even though the storm was much closer than before, dunno why this is.When I got home I knew that even a direct strike on the houses over the road was unlikely to hurt me, although it would probably have made me lose control of my bowel! So I had the window open and was leaning out and the strikes were all around and right overhead - but I felt completely safe! (I did have a glass of wine so maybe that helped!)I think the slight danger is what makes storm chasing so exhilarating... Each storm makes me less nervous too - 15 years ago I wouldn't even look outside during a storm
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

I posted a few pics on page 40

Posted

You see this is real danger, isn't it...? I cannot see how anyone can say they truly aren't scared of thunderstorms... 10 houses, and that was just the reported in Reading!!

I would have been absolutely distraught if these storms had of affected Leicester.... By God I would have been terrified!! It was bad enough on here with all you lot like you were at firework displays, how can you not be scared of situations like that, especially at such close quarters... I bet Gordon was worried as well, even though we didn't have storms, we were lucky.....

Just how can you overcome the fear of thunder when actually, it is dangerous unlike clowns, pavement cracks etc......

Here's a good motto I use: If you spend your whole life being afraid, you never get to experience life at all.

• Like 2

Posted

Very jealous of all you folks who got some fireworks last night! Looked like some really good storms!

Lots of good pics coming onto here!

Oh and Speedway, i think anybody on here will admit that when a thunderstorm is approaching them, no matter how much of a storm lover they are, they will always be feeling abit of fear, i certainly do, but it just gets my adrenaline going and makes me even more exited.

Was weird last night cos I went to the Mount in Guildford first and could see a storm way off over Berkshire area but the forks were clearly visible. However I had a pang of nerves being so high up ad not being able to make out the clouds nearby so for safety I got back in the van and headed off.Got to the Hog's back and realised I had miscalculated the direction of the storm... It was heading right for us! Got out and got a few shots but this time I let the storm get a lot closer. What's weird is I felt safer even though the storm was much closer than before, dunno why this is.When I got home I knew that even a direct strike on the houses over the road was unlikely to hurt me, although it would probably have made me lose control of my bowel! So I had the window open and was leaning out and the strikes were all around and right overhead - but I felt completely safe! (I did have a glass of wine so maybe that helped!)I think the slight danger is what makes storm chasing so exhilarating... Each storm makes me less nervous too - 15 years ago I wouldn't even look outside during a storm

I just about cope when it's not overhead, say 4+ miles away and I know it's going by, or as I say to the Mrs, it's not our storm, but any closer and I do really panic... I haven't even got a tv aerial! 

Got freesat, as a kid, was led to believe that tv's on, via aerial made the aerial a prime lightning rod, so if a storm got anywhere near, tv went off, aerial unplugged from tv, and it didn't go back on until the storm was completely gone, and I mean gone!!! 

What do you lot do at home precaution wise when a storm gets close.... Anything?