Cold?
IGNORED

Storm and Convective Discussion 10th June Onwards

The PIT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Here's what all the fuss is about down in the Southern half of the UK. :hi:

Posted Image2205GMT 130614 NW v6 radar.png

Thank you - all a bit west for my liking :cray: still, think ill go for a quick walk to see if I can see anything of the Hants cell...prob a bit far
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

It's all clear now, after looking promising earlier! Big orange full moon out! Beware of the loonies :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: or is that in the MOD thread?Joking of course!

Edited by lassie23

Posted

Can see the lightning over Swindon, Marlborough Downs, seem to be firing off nicely!! 

• Like 1

Posted

ame="Harry" post="2988774" timestamp="1402694088"]Yes:) seriously it's actually quite intense. Lightning seems to be to my east but only by a few miles. Somewhere between here and Basingstoke. I'm suprised people in my area can't see it. Some of the flashes are brilliant. Estimate at least thirty strikes in the last half hour

Just goes to show what can happen under High pressure doesn't it with the right ingredients!! Is a lovely warm evening - bet all the mozzies and stag beetles will be out :Cray:Right going for a browse...
  • Like 1

Posted

Unfortunately a bit of a bust further north but enjoy your storms further south.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

I can report I have seen distant lightning.

Posted

Hmm...am out and some of the AcCas looking wee bit more pronounced now though difficult to see fully...some slightly glimmering whiter tops to my E.

Posted

Funny how the Met Office has issued warnings for the east, and the action is in the west pmsl. Gotta love the Met Office lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Nice T& L

Video to follow shortly

• Like 1

Posted

Yep, and another

Posted

Hmm! Don't think lingthtningmaps is showing all the cloud to clouds as I was watching it and my laptop simultaneously and all were not showing.

Posted

If the Swindon storm keeps going as it is now, Marlborough, Hungerford, Highclere and Maybe Newbury could see a nice show.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

Yawn!!,just a very brief light shower here around an hour ago.Slightly annoying as we were in the prime position at lunchtime should any action have kicked off around here.

Posted

Nice T& LVideo to follow shortly

Look forward to it AJ, any chance you can encourage the cells to move SW rather than SE?!

Posted

I can see an anvil from here and seen 8 flashes of lightning. Great sight and nice surprise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

parked under a sheet of grey as usual. At least it's now a bit warmer than earlier, got right chilly around 7pm!

Posted

For some reason the ATD has decided not to detect most of the lightning from the Hampshire cell, while Blitzortung shows quite a cluster (and that's probably not all of them too). The Swindon cell also shows more on Blitzortung so maybe it's a general thing with the ATD at the moment. I have noticed it often drops around midnight not picking up many strikes for some reason.

I forgot to post but did a chase the other night and caught one of the only cells in the SE near Rye shortly before midnight, mainly sheet lightning by the time I had a chance to stop but every 20-30 seconds for a while and definitely more than both detectors showed, especially the ATD.

Wonder if I could see any distant flashes from these cells soon, other cloud around says probably not but lightning can be seen from surprising distances at night given the right conditions, been seen from storms near the Isle of Wight from east Devon before!

• Like 1

Posted

Hmm! Don't think lingthtningmaps is showing all the cloud to clouds as I was watching it and my laptop simultaneously and all were not showing.

Normally only shows cloud to ground so often when you get a storm you see much more lightning at your location compared to what the lightning maps show. This is why you often get storms not showing on lightningmaps, I had one back in May and it was all cloud-cloud and didn't show at all on lightningmaps.

• Like 1

Wiltshire's storm shield has been lifted!! :clapping::yahoo:

Awful pic, but wow, definitely wasn't a shabby storm! You don't know how loud lightning really sounds until it strikes 20 meters away.

Posted Image

Edited by Sainsbo
  • Like 4

Posted

Well that was short and sweet. Never the less, was good out in the garden watching it. Still rumbling but no new stikes showing. Pouring down now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Looks like the Bristol storm shield is in full force again lol.