Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm and Convective Discussion 10th June Onwards

The PIT

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

Wow some real rapid cloud development happening here :)

Looking very stormy here in MK now, cell coming over which appears to be elevated in nature, although very dark and undulated at the base. No thunder or rain yet, but I can smell rain on a strengthening breeze.

If you look at the wind profile, the cells are developing because of wind convergence, which appears to be strongest through the spine of country. This is the likely trigger along the trough and will push further south overnight and probably set off more storms as the night goes on.

Edited by SnowJoke

Latest export to Dronfield Bah humbug

It's cleared here now without giving out anything electrical. The raindrops though were something else. I've never, ever seen raindrops so big in my life - so forceful! They made a right wet slap on the ground :D  Cloud going in all directions as it cleared.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Thunder!! :D

Bah Humbug

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Thunder!! :D

SHHHHHHH WE KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE....
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Some loverly pics on back edge of this shower

post-16960-0-79467300-1402692086_thumb.j

post-16960-0-29828700-1402692112_thumb.j

• Like 4

Two nice rumbles from that cell after it had cleared ESE. A nice bonus tbh, I was satisfied after those mahoosive raindrops :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Just got home. Was having a meal up at slimbridge near Gloucester. Went very dark and had a cracking little thunderstorm. Very slow moving.

Didn't expect that at all today!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I have a feeling they'll die out soon but hopefully not.

I have a feeling you're correct as they have now lost their sferic activity but maybe they can pep up again, who knows. Fireworks on the pitch for sure so perhaps I'll get my own. :rofl:

Patiently awaiting this storm arriving...

It didn't head south from here, more E/ESE I'd say. I thought you would have heard the thunder though?

Posted

It didn't head south from here, more E/ESE I'd say. I thought you would have heard the thunder though?

Nah I didn't hear anything, on Rain Today it looked as if it was heading this way but now we're just under moderate rainfall. Oh well. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I have a feeling you're correct as they have now lost their sferic activity but maybe they can pep up again, who knows. Fireworks on the pitch for sure so perhaps I'll get my own. :rofl:

more strikes detected on the NW flank of this little cell complex......it simply a case of updrafts firing in a still juicy atmosphere, and lasting typically 20-30 minutes before rain cooled downdrafts kill the convection for that particular cell....The fact that new updrafts are firing along outflow boundaries means the atmosphere is still ripe, at least for now

• Like 1

Posted

Lightning every thirty seconds or so, some very close and house shaking rumbles. Probably the most active storm we've had here in ten years

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

more strikes detected on the NW flank of this little cell complex......it simply a case of updrafts firing in a still juicy atmosphere, and lasting typically 20-30 minutes before rain cooled downdrafts kill the convection for that particular cell....The fact that new updrafts are firing along outflow boundaries means the atmosphere is still ripe, at least for now

Bring it on, although I do need some necessary sleep. :nonono: Will it be a boom, boom, shake the room or not, I wonder?

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Lightning seen thunder heard....

Near Wootton Bassett.

..woohoo!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Lightning every thirty seconds or so, some very close and house shaking rumbles. Probably the most active storm we've had here in ten years

In Hampshire?? BF got the iPad so I'm limited to my phone and MetO radar stuck on 2000 :'(Here there's some promising signs in the darkening sky - some nice AcCas (not the biggest or more pronounced I've seen though!!) Edited by Harry

Posted

Yay! Swindon is getting clobbered. Strikes every 20 seconds

Edited by cartedj
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Bring it on, although I do need some necessary sleep. :nonono: Will it be a boom, boom, shake the room or not, I wonder?

I believe that chocolate is a marvellous aphrodisiac... :rofl:

Posted

Here's what all the fuss is about down in the Southern half of the UK. :hi:

post-7183-0-25453600-1402694203_thumb.pn

• Like 2

Posted
Lightning every thirty seconds or so, some very close and house shaking rumbles. Probably the most active storm we've had here in ten years[/quote

In Hampshire?? BF got the iPad so I'm limited to my phone and MetO radar stuck on 2000 :'(

Here there's some promising signs in the darkening sky - some nice AcCas (not the biggest or more pronounced I've seen though!!)

Yes:) seriously it's actually quite intense. Lightning seems to be to my east but only by a few miles. Somewhere between here and Basingstoke. I'm suprised people in my area can't see it. Some of the flashes are brilliant. Estimate at least thirty strikes in the last half hour

• Like 1

Posted

I believe that chocolate is a marvellous aphrodisiac... :rofl:

I'll settle for a flash or two (of lightning). :acute:

Edited by gottolovethisweather