Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm and Convective Discussion 10th June Onwards

The PIT

Posted

Time lapse of that thunderstorm and hailstorm

I think I caught a cloud to air lightning bolt coming out of the anvil. If you look at the top right hand corner around 32s to 33s, you can see a flash and what looks like a streamer.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny (hate hot), severe thunderstorms, heavy snow, extreme cold

Getting just light rain from the remnants of the warrington storm. :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

Gone dark and raining again, tremendous storm here at 3.50pm don't think I've ever seen rain like it in this country, certainly never driven in it before. Couldn't tell if it was CG lightening as the rain was so heavy and I couldn't hear the thunder, visibility was very poor. The roads flooded in minutes.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Gone dark and raining again, tremendous storm here at 3.50pm don't think I've ever seen rain like it in this country, certainly never driven in it before. Couldn't tell if it was CG lightening as the rain was so heavy and I couldn't hear the thunder, visibility was very poor. The roads flooded in minutes.

Any hail? Seems to be alot of it about today, marble sized too, meanwhile back in London..... :lazy: :lazy: :lazy: :lazy: :lazy: :lazy: :lazy: :lazy:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

Any hail? Seems to be alot of it about today, marble sized too, meanwhile back in London..... :lazy: :lazy: :lazy: :lazy: :lazy: :lazy: :lazy: :lazy:

Couldn't tell if there was hail the rain was that loud and heavy, you should live oop north

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Couldn't tell if there was hail the rain was that loud and heavy, you should live oop north

There does seem to be more storm action ooooooooooooop north this year!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Well, can't believe this,, but the webcam.. got n picked up a rainbow http://www.justin.tv/solartornado

Who needs supercells, strob lightning and hurricane force winds

.......when we've got rainbows like this :whistling:

post-12214-0-94763500-1402434179_thumb.p

• Like 3

Posted

Also, the third picture I posted, I took it as I've never seen cloud like that before, and I looking at a deep rotating storm cloud (ie a supercell?) attached again the right way up

post-118-0-10532300-1402434939_thumb.jpg

Edited by Darren Bown

Posted

Video won't upload

Edited by Darren Bown

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Looks like Torfhaus is next in line from that storm in germany,allthough it looks to be tracking north of there

on another note,i went to catch that storm heading NE yesterday(N Lincolnshire),well firstly i got home from work at 2:15pm and took a quick look at proceedings and i saw a cluster of storms to my SSE and then i thought yes here we go,so i headed off to catch it and when i got to the A1 south at marr,well i couldn't believe it,straight into a traffic jam for at lease an hour,i got off at warmsworth(next junction)and headed into doncaster and went to join the M18 at lakeside,i thought yes at last,so heading up the M18 to come off at M180 to Sprunehorpe,i witnessed huge towers but could not stop to take pics because i wanted to get to the east side of the storm,i eventually ended up at brigg north of humberside airport and parked up

i could here rumbles of thunder to my SW and thought that i was in a good spot here,well the rain came down heavier than i could imagine,so i sat there recording for about 20-30 minutes on and off but could only capture flashes,after another 10-15 minutes later it started to clear up and i thought well is that it,so i headed back home,bang,i hit another traffic jam for another hour and half,there was a serious accident at a Sprunehorpe junction,a car had been partially under a wagon,well what a day,if i hadn't of been stuck in that first traffic jam then i would of got to the east side of the storm but i didn't make it

as for today a very near miss yet again,the storms allways seem to travel to the SE of me,got some pics from that derby cell,i will post tomorrow as i am off to bed now

lets see if this next warm spell can deliver something a bit more than 12v sparks in the wind lol

also,i was watching that storm in germany last night :shok::bomb:

Edited by allseasons-si
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

A lot of the storm action yesterday consisted of frequent and at times very loud thunder but most of the lightning was not visible. I take it that the storms therefore must have been elevated. I know you can get elevated supercells and I think this would be a likely description of what I witnessed yesterday. This could also explain the lack of tornado activity as surface based activity was rather lacking and I do not think tornadoes can occur from elevated storms, even if they are rotating. Rain, winds, hail and thunder were all in abundance though. Some of the rain yesterday was tropical and lots of flooding, especially around Nottinghamshire.

Please feel free to correct me if my ideas are incorrect regarding elevated supercells and tornado activity.

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

LOL I think we are becoming a bit desperate due to lack of storms.  I am lucky to live in a place that does not experience disruptive snowfall or floods, or heat (and I have lived in hot and cold countries and weather in my area really is not extreme at all). However due to storms always tracking either side of me, I think I really have picked the wrong place. I found myself having a sudden urge to relocate to Belgium or Germany, places I have not previously considered living in... or even Norfolk or the Midlands!

I'll check on Woking later...

20 years ago I'd have said Norfolk was a brilliant location - these days it's about as exciting as the inside of a ping pong ball...

Well with the current thundery spell coming to an end lets reflect on what has been a rollercoaster of emotions over the last few days! We've had supercells, funnel clouds, ridiculous rainfall rates, large hail, and hundreds of posts filled with emotionally-charged laments and giddiness too!

Well done to those who copped a humdinger, commiserations to those who missed out, and a curt nod to those who got a glancing blow :D

Until next time  :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Cannot seem to edit my last post,Sprunehorpe :wallbash::rofl:

Edited by allseasons-si

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Quite agree with that instead of the south doing well. In recent times there has been a flip. This has not been the only occasion, Wales and NW - have done excellent for storms.

Been like that for a while, the SE and E has been dire for storms for several years, with the NW and NE (and Scotland) suddenly becoming far more active. Time Thetford gave up it's title of "Lightning capital of the UK" !!

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Well that was one of the best storms I have ever seen (and I've been to Florida too). After being in the garage for 15 mins on the treadmill after pretty much writing today off, I looked out of the window to see a slowly rotating cloud, (picture) and thought it was a developing shower. Only 5 mins after that, the first thunder was heard.I checked the radar and saw a heavy (nothing spectacular) shower. I kept watching to see a monster developing. Lightning became frequent (mostly CC, striking from one cell to my SW and one to the NW. I thought the whole lot was going to go around 5 miles west of me, but it built on its southern side.Around 7pm, all hell broke loose. The lightning ( mostly IC/CC) was every 5 seconds, thunder was colossal and constant. But what was the most surprising was the hail. I was on the phone telling my parents of the storm when I could hear what sounded like someone throwing stones on the conservatory roof. No, they were hailstones, around 1-2cm in diameter! They came down in torrents, chunks of ice dropping off the roof of the house. (See the picture below). The storm passed, but not without more amazing lightning, more rotating clouds and a rainbow.To top that off, the next shower intensified and produced a few flickers of lightning and rumbles of thunder, and a ton of rain. Wish I had a rain gauge! There is even still some hail on the lawn now, 3 hours later.

The radar suggests up to 20mm in a couple of hours this evening for your area:

post-2595-0-18562400-1402437180_thumb.jp

Edited by TonyH
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Well with the current thundery spell coming to an end lets reflect on what has been a rollercoaster of emotions over the last few days! We've had supercells, funnel clouds, ridiculous rainfall rates, large hail, and hundreds of posts filled with emotionally-charged laments and giddiness too!

Well done to those who copped a humdinger, commiserations to those who missed out, and a curt nod to those who got a glancing blow :D

Until next time  :drinks:

Well said :hi:

Posted

Well wat a let down the last few weeks have been. Only had one flash of lightning and rumble of thunder. So nothing realy to get me out of the NSC. I am hoping to get a good light show when i go to meorca for 2 weeks. Anyone one know what there storm chances there are??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or Thunderstorms

Well that was one of the best storms I have ever seen (and I've been to Florida too). After being in the garage for 15 mins on the treadmill after pretty much writing today off, I looked out of the window to see a slowly rotating cloud, (picture) and thought it was a developing shower. Only 5 mins after that, the first thunder was heard.I checked the radar and saw a heavy (nothing spectacular) shower. I kept watching to see a monster developing. Lightning became frequent (mostly CC, striking from one cell to my SW and one to the NW. I thought the whole lot was going to go around 5 miles west of me, but it built on its southern side.Around 7pm, all hell broke loose. The lightning ( mostly IC/CC) was every 5 seconds, thunder was colossal and constant. But what was the most surprising was the hail. I was on the phone telling my parents of the storm when I could hear what sounded like someone throwing stones on the conservatory roof. No, they were hailstones, around 1-2cm in diameter! They came down in torrents, chunks of ice dropping off the roof of the house. (See the picture below). The storm passed, but not without more amazing lightning, more rotating clouds and a rainbow.To top that off, the next shower intensified and produced a few flickers of lightning and rumbles of thunder, and a ton of rain. Wish I had a rain gauge! There is even still some hail on the lawn now, 3 hours later.

I went chasing the second small cell after missing the first due to my tea being cooked ( :-( )  but I made a good guess and followed the core of the second cell from the M6 over to Bolton, about 10+ miles or so. Torrential rain and lightning right overhead, both CC and CG with some very nice thunder rumbles. 

Gutted I missed the first cell, seemed like the best one around all day, but after missing every single storm thats passed over the North West/Lancashire in the past few days, I wasn't going to miss the opportunity; So glad I got an intercept into the last cell of development for what's probably going to be a disappointing rest of the year.

On a side note, I could hear the constant rumbles and see occasional lightning  even from my house about 15 miles away near Chorley on that first "mega-cell"!

Edited by Jordan Naylor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Some more footage of yesterdays German supercell.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKCmib3iERw&feature=youtube_gdata_player