Sign in to follow this  
mike Meehan

Bogus Flash Update - Ransomware

I appear to have fallen a victim to this - is there any way I can get rid of it?

can you post up some more details please Mike?

Yes, I clicked on a message which said that I needed to update my 'adobe flash' when I was dealing with something that possibly needed it - since then I have been besieged with all sorts of 'pops' which arrive when I click to change a page - the threads on NW have words in blue and underlined. This happens more with some sites more than others with NW being fairly prone.

Not only that I have the same problem with my computer in France and there it is no longer possible to select a quote to reply to or even copy paste and the other symptoms are exactly the same. With this one I have tried copy pasting the websites of the pop ups and putting a block on them - they still get through.

Needless to say I am kicking myself for allowing this to happen twice - I am normally cautious about want I do and do not open but these were fairly convincing and more so since they appeared to refer to what I was doing at the time.

I should also say that I have performed full scans on each computer but they did not pick anything up.

I attach a screen copy so you can see what I mean.

Would appreciate any advice you have to offer and thank you in anticipation,

Cheers,

Mike

netwea.docx

Edited by mike Meehan

That word underlining thing could just be a 'helpful' extension it installed and you can simply disable and uninstall them from the browser settings.Also go into Control Panel Add/Uninstall programs, there might be something obvious installed recently (Sort by date)It might work to do a restore back to before the bad download.Malwarebytes is usually the best one to find this sort of thing.You do have to be very careful to not just quickly click through the nexts and OKs when installing even otherwise legit things as there's often something to uncheck!

That word underlining thing could just be a 'helpful' extension it installed and you can simply disable and uninstall them from the browser settings.Also go into Control Panel Add/Uninstall programs, there might be something obvious installed recently (Sort by date)It might work to do a restore back to before the bad download.Malwarebytes is usually the best one to find this sort of thing.You do have to be very careful to not just quickly click through the nexts and OKs when installing even otherwise legit things as there's often something to uncheck!

I had already uninstalled the programs which I thought may be suspect, so I tried Malwarebytes it seems to have done the job as far as I can see but I didn't like the way they bundled another program with it and charged double the price, though in the end it was a lot cheaper than either a) a new computer or b) cleaning up the discs.

Some of the ethics of those who think they can develop programs to barge in on your systems with products you don't want leave a lot to be desired and all that for the cause of the filthy lucre which they worship above all else.

Anyway thanks for the tip.

keep task master running for a while with the CPU usage column as a filter and when they run/activate you should see what applications are running by name and allow you to single the buggers out for killing.

I

I had already uninstalled the programs which I thought may be suspect, so I tried Malwarebytes it seems to have done the job as far as I can see but I didn't like the way they bundled another program with it and charged double the price, though in the end it was a lot cheaper than either a) a new computer or b) cleaning up the discs.

Some of the ethics of those who think they can develop programs to barge in on your systems with products you don't want leave a lot to be desired and all that for the cause of the filthy lucre which they worship above all else.

Anyway thanks for the tip.

Malwarebytes is free, you don't need to pay anything to scan and remove stuff.

Edited by CongletonHeat