Storm and convective discussion 9th June

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Radars showing that the Cloud over SE+ E England is drifting into the North Sea, so a lot more sun now about heating everything up.

This is the view from C London (Cannon St) looking SE towards Kent

As you can see a PERFECT looking breeding ground for thunderstorms...temperature rocketing too, must be around 23-24C outside and rising

post-3790-0-91398300-1402316486_thumb.jp

Edited by Harry
  • Like 3

MetOffice now showing a MCS engulfing London and the South East tonight. 

Click Here

Doesn't look to engulf London... More just soaks South London....  :laugh:  Could, possibly, be a good light show though.

MetOffice now showing a MCS engulfing London and the South East tonight. 

Click Here

If that pans out as shown I'm going to be very very upset as I'll be in a cab being whisked back from Windsor :cray:

Will be borderline devastated if I miss any action tonight :cray:

Doesn't look to engulf London... More just soaks South London....  :laugh:  Could, possibly, be a good light show though.

We know how unpredictable our weather is. Anything can happen in these storms. 

I don't really understand where they're expecting it to come from though?

Well looking at the direction and time they have. I would say it was currently in Spain.. if there is indeed anything happening in spain..

I don't really understand where they're expecting it to come from though?

France I guess

• Like 3

Altocumulus cloud over me at the moment and has been for a few hours now. Is thunder still as likely with just altocumulus cloud than altocumulus castellanus cloud?

Not to my knowledge no. It shows there's moisture at mid levels but the point about the castellanus variety is that there is instability - i.e the turrets indicate mid level parcels trying to rise. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1

Not to my knowledge no. It shows there's moisture at mid levels but the point about the castellanus variety is that there is instability - i.e the turrets indicate the instability with mid level parcels trying to rise. 

So basically altocumulus cloud just shows possible rain coming but not really thundery?

I think I may be in the firing line of a supercell... 

I live just to the top of the 'red zone', and its tracking that way....

post-12217-0-95187500-1402317175_thumb.p

Been quite cloudy and hazy all morning here with a layer of cirrostratus cloud, how ever the temperature has still managed to climb above 22'c now. The sky has cleared and I can see some large towering cumulus developing, so still the possibility of some heavy showers later on, BBC Weather seems to think most activity will be further north and east again than what was forecast yesterday.  :wallbash: