Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm and convective discussion 9th June

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

my brother in Ashby-de-la Launde, near Sleaford Lincs, has phoned me to tell me he has 8 inches of standing water in his now flooded kitchen thanks to a beefy storm that blasted through in the past hour!

Lincolnshire again! 

• Like 2

Posted

seems to be darkening up a bit to the East. I live in hope that London may get something so I have a slim chance at being able to see the top of it from here. Thats how desperate I am:(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

One isol TS just popped up south of Kings Lynn looks fiesty

Looked vicious in the distance !!

Posted

Lincolnshire again! 

the link gives plenty of information about thunderstorms along with 'average' days of thunderstorms, shows the east preference up nicely

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/i/r/Fact_sheet_No._2.pdf

Posted

got misty here ? dark with distant thunder

I'm in Grimsby and was thinking the same but thought it was real low cloud? The thunders banging here now
  • Like 4

Posted

thanks leanne never thought that

kicking off here got hospital appointment hope taxi likes torrential rain if it gets bad

Edited by vladthemert

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
Posted

That storm over Bremen has thrown out 15k lightning strikes in the last hour, that's only the recorded ones!

In comparison, the 'derecho' storm that hit the Midwest USA last week produced only 13,000 in a longer timescale, across a similar area.

Edited by Dan the Man
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow

It's quite dark to the south, hopefully it'll be something thundery... :bomb:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow, Storms. Summer: Heat, Thunder

Is there any way of having a lightning map of every strike from Friday through until today? If so there would be a void including all of Wiltshire which is quite amazing considering the size of the county!

Most of the south east and south Midlands have been devoid of storms all week so you're not alone, nothing in London either bar a few rogue strikes, none of which were anywhere near me
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

and for those who might have missed it, here's the link for the live, animated lightning map for Europe 

http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime?lang=de

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Next stop Hamburg. Looks quite peaceful just now..

http://www.earthcam.com/world/germany/hamburg/?cam=hamburg_hd

Another one here that rotates the view ( after you get through the Germany WCup advert...)

http://www.hamburg.de/livecam-emporio/

Edited by lorenzo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Beyond 150mm/hr at times, according to the radar.

Yes I see...

Posted

Reporting live from Sleaford. Unfortunately a sudden dose of the trots meant I had to leave work early, at which point I suddenly recovered enough to go out and chase, and boy am I glad I did.Started off around Uttoxeter where I caught an active cell with visible rotation as it moved towards Ashbourne. Then intercepted a second cell near Derby. A very intense cell around Kirkby with amazing rainfall and small hail. This too was exhibiting strong rotation as it moved off north. A fourth cell hit just near Newark with a couple of good bolts before the main course near Sleaford up to Cranwell. Lots of high based flashes but some big hail the size of marbles and the heaviest rain I have witnessed in a long time.

Sorry to hear about your 30 minute bug, it must have been awful, rest of the day sounds good though  :help:  :yahoo:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado

Went to work this morning after watching the bbc weather which said rain from afternoon onwards. But god damn its been warm this afternoon, probably the warmest day so far this year in my location! So much for rain storms lmao, you cant make it up! we are dying of storm deprivation over here!

Posted

That wind change may help!

why?

different surface wind flows can aid develop a trough at the surface which in turn can aid convection. The overall track of the main storm areas has nothing to do with the surface flow overall today, the 500mb flow can be seen on Net Wx radar, use that for tracking the showers/storms, at least for a 2-3 hour slot

Unfortunately John when we have an onshore breeze its a very efficient killer of any decent convection. The air is just too stable and the usual result is even the most intense storms flatten out to just grey skies and moderate rain with no activity by the time they get here.

As expected that is the case today too. :(

Posted

What are the chances of more C/S England seeing something thundery in next few hours, cause im willing to drive anywhere say Newbury area? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

It seems that the cell near Derby was infact a supercell.

https://twitter.com/WeatherCast_UK/status/476024492918329346/photo/1

Posted Image

I was under that thing. I suspected it to be supercellular as I filmed it approach and depart. There was definite rotation and was dropping pea sized hail and torrential rain. I actually question it as I film it. Almost constant thunder too. Edited by Supacell
  • Like 1

Posted

A rather sultry 79f here, radar shows some showers moving onto the south coast of England but they don't seem to be electrified?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

I dont know if its because my grandparents are from Italy but I think this weather is perfect, if only it was a little more sunny so we could get the convection going!Everyone get a bucket and fill it with dirt and take it to the channel and throw it in, I wonder if we did do that how long it would take to actually fill the channel.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms of any kind, Snow

A rather sultry 79f here, radar shows some showers moving onto the south coast of England but they don't seem to be electrified?

I can confirm that they're not at the moment

• Like 1