Cold?
IGNORED

Spain Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, cold snowy winters, thunderstorms
2 hours ago, J10 said:

Some potentially record breaking weather for the Iberian Penisula towards the end of this week and over the weekend. 

GFS is going for the 50c barrier to be broken over Portugal for both Friday and Saturday. 850Hpa temps are widely set to rise to 30c on both days.

GFSOPSP12_75_48.thumb.png.e6d0a5fe98d54bd61b65e2cb8be069b4.pngGFSOPSP12_99_48.thumb.png.7b8aa45cb578d34f7532ecbd6d3761f1.pngGFSOPSP12_75_2.thumb.png.8ebbdfb208145c9aac784efb3bc5a93b.pngGFSOPSP12_99_2.png

The Current record is around 47c for both Portugal and Spain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_extreme_temperatures

Today the temp was over 40c in Spain locally and over 35c very widely.

https://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/current?LANG=en&UP=0&R=310&TYP=tmax&ART=tabelle&LANG=en&DATE=1533063600&KEY=SP&LAND=SP&CONT=euro&SORT=3&SI=mph&CEL=C&UD=0

image.thumb.png.ebdd5b07d3ff48f455f9cae15cdd57fe.png

My Spanish friend in Cordoba has just said 51c (124F) is the expected extreme high due this weekend near the Spanish border with Portugal. It's already about 40c there in the city today. Last year I was in Spain when it hit 44c and it was incredibly hot. I can't imagine what 50c would be like especially in that sunshine. Ouch. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Major turnaround for how the summer has been thus far, with average highs running a couple of degrees below average in SW Spain and Portugal since March/April, now looking at extreme heat. Not convinced about 50c being hit, but Global Warming is a worry for Iberia, 47.3C was hit very easily last summer, 50c will be hit in Spain one day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

We have a villa near Córdoba, last August the thermometer on the balcony was showing 55c, whether it was correct I don't know but it was unbearable, there was no way you could sit out and enjoy it. I sit and watch tv with air con on or stay in the pool. We are going back a week Saturday and I am a bit worried about the current forecast

Posted

The hottest weather i experienced was when I was a teenager and I visited Athens in 42c. Despite the relatively low humidity, it was highly unpleasant and uncomfortable unless you were indoors with the air con on.

I don't even want to imagine what 50c will feel like. Are people expected to go to work in this weather?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

The temps being mooted for Spain/Portugal are astonishing. Especially if you consider that the "reliable" temperature record for Africa was set in early July this year and that was 51.3C...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2018/07/06/africa-may-have-witnessed-its-all-time-hottest-temperature-thursday-124-degrees-in-algeria/?utm_term=.b9c3a496f382

The record for Australia is "only" 50.7C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.

The Cerebral Palsy world games start next Monday in San Gugat just north of Barcelona doesn't bode well for these disabled athletes and then coupled with the wildfire risk in the area could be a very interesting week!!

Posted
1 hour ago, karyo said:

The hottest weather i experienced was when I was a teenager and I visited Athens in 42c. Despite the relatively low humidity, it was highly unpleasant and uncomfortable unless you were indoors with the air con on.

I don't even want to imagine what 50c will feel like. Are people expected to go to work in this weather?

From what I have been told all construction work and similar stops in August. We wanted a new outside door and window replacing but will have to wait until later in the year.

Posted
44 minutes ago, Jan said:

From what I have been told all construction work and similar stops in August. We wanted a new outside door and window replacing but will have to wait until later in the year.

That makes sense. I can imagine even travelling to work being dangerous with the risk of overheating and collapsing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I was in Greece in 2003 during the heatwave and the temperature was 45C plus. It was unbearable. There was a government advisory for all businesses to close and for people to stay inside during 10am and 4pm. I have never known heat like it. Absolutely oppressive and burning.

9 hours ago, Jan said:

We have a villa near Córdoba, last August the thermometer on the balcony was showing 55c, whether it was correct I don't know but it was unbearable, there was no way you could sit out and enjoy it. I sit and watch tv with air con on or stay in the pool. We are going back a week Saturday and I am a bit worried about the current forecast

If the shade temp is 40c, then the temp in the sun e.g. on a balcony could easily be 55c. 

Posted

I can understand now why Mediterranean countries have siestas, I used to get annoyed that shops where shut from 1pm till about 5pm, I walk my dog well after dark or very early in the morning, I keep curtains closed during the day too when I am there

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

In Southern Portugal currently, after a week of 25-28c and strong sea breezes PM, today we saw a big change in the weather, aligned to the arrival of the 20c 850 temp. Hit 33c here this afternoon, wind was negligible, even PM and the hot air has brought an eruption of flying ants & midges, quite horrific!

Tomorrow we see the 24-26c 850 line reach us, looking at 35c for my locale, god knows how hot further inland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

Think alot of the forecasts this week by GFS for temps to reach close to or just over 50c is due to GFS bias. As pointed out on Twitter, several other reliable models are indicating temps of around 6-8c lower than GFS (around 44c which is still incredible but not unheard of). The met office also mentioned their error on forecast 50c+ this weekend in Portugal/extreme southwest of Spain. 

Linked to met office http://www.euronews.com/amp/2018/08/01/portugal-s-met-office-retracts-hottest-day-prediction-blames-extreme-weather-for-mistake?__twitter_impression=true

• Thanks 1

Posted
16 hours ago, Lauren said:

I was in Greece in 2003 during the heatwave and the temperature was 45C plus. It was unbearable. There was a government advisory for all businesses to close and for people to stay inside during 10am and 4pm. I have never known heat like it. Absolutely oppressive and burning.

I have stopped going to Greece (and other Med countries) in the summer months. The heat is like torture! I normally go late September or October when the weather is much kinder and I can enjoy sunbathing without baking.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

30c overnight in Faro, already 39c in Sevilla (11:00am).

Edited by 95 Degrees

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer
6 hours ago, 95 Degrees said:

30c overnight in Faro, already 39c in Sevilla (11:00am).

not 30ºc overnight in faro, saturday will get the highest overnights they are saying highest temperature was 45,2ºc today

Edited by Blade

Posted
6 hours ago, Blade said:

not 30ºc overnight in faro, saturday will get the highest overnights they are saying highest temperature was 45,2ºc today

http://www.meteociel.fr/temps-reel/obs_villes.php?code2=8554&jour2=2&mois2=7&annee2=2018

Posted

Looking at the latest Arpege and Hirlam models I'm not convinced the temperature record will go tomorrow or even Sunday. It looks as though the Spanish-Portuguese border will top at 46c but I don't see a 48 or 49c on offer though it may be someone somewhere gets very close. 

Posted

44C in Sevilla.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I think the GFS was being ridiculous in showing 50/51°C

There's something seriously wrong with the GFS model in regards to that part of the world!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

So the European record is safe for another day it looks, the Spanish and Portuguese records if I'm not mistaken have not been broken