Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spain Weather

Posted
12 hours ago, stodge said:

Incredibly hot still in the interior of Spain with  a few stations still above 40c as a plume of 28c 850HPA air from Africa spreads over the south and centre of the country.

I wonder when the 50c record will be broken in Spain - sometime in the next 10-20 years ?

I'd say in the next 5-10 years.

It would be interesting to see the rate of increase in hospital admissions during the severe heat and what provisions the spanish government makes for the public. The situation is only going to get worse in the near future so they must be planning for that.

In Greece, when the temperature exceeds 40c, there are allocated air conditioned buildings where people can go to escape the heat. Priority is given to people with breathing difficulties, the overweight and the elderly. 

Posted
52 minutes ago, karyo said:

I'd say in the next 5-10 years.

It would be interesting to see the rate of increase in hospital admissions during the severe heat and what provisions the spanish government makes for the public. The situation is only going to get worse in the near future so they must be planning for that.

In Greece, when the temperature exceeds 40c, there are allocated air conditioned buildings where people can go to escape the heat. Priority is given to people with breathing difficulties, the overweight and the elderly. 

Just to note the GFS 06Z is calling for 30-32c 850HPA over south east Spain this afternoon so it will be interesting to see if yesterday's record is challenged today.

In the south west of the United States and especially in places like Phoenix and Palm Springs, it can get to 47c and even beyond in the hottest spells and they take the Extreme Heat Advisories very seriously. I've been in Las Vegas with a temperature of 42c on the Strip and it catches up with you as the humidity is so low.

The ability of Europe to deal with corresponding levels of heat is less clear but as you say it's quite possible we'll see very hot spells in Italy, Greece, Spain, Portugal and Southern France occur more regularly and with greater severity and longevity.

Posted
39 minutes ago, stodge said:

Just to note the GFS 06Z is calling for 30-32c 850HPA over south east Spain this afternoon so it will be interesting to see if yesterday's record is challenged today.

In the south west of the United States and especially in places like Phoenix and Palm Springs, it can get to 47c and even beyond in the hottest spells and they take the Extreme Heat Advisories very seriously. I've been in Las Vegas with a temperature of 42c on the Strip and it catches up with you as the humidity is so low.

The ability of Europe to deal with corresponding levels of heat is less clear but as you say it's quite possible we'll see very hot spells in Italy, Greece, Spain, Portugal and Southern France occur more regularly and with greater severity and longevity.

Yes and i think a particular concern is the increasing frequency of severe heat in Central Europe in the last few years. For example, Germany and Poland have seen temperatures in the 40s in the last few summers and most buildings still don't have air conditioning there. 

Posted

Suspect the new record is safe for today. Andujar in Jaen Province (the one next to Cordoba) is just shy of 44c presently with Cordoba Airport chilling at 43c.

A couple of hours to go however and the hottest air from Africa arrives early evening to the far south east of Spain.

• 2 months later...
Posted

A very decent September/October so far here in Madrid! had a few cooler days around mid September but generally it's been blue skies and well above average temperature's for some time now!

• 1 month later...
Posted

Snow in the Basque Country in low altitude. It's snowing in Zarautz (coastal town) with a white beach, and in several towns of Gipuzkoa that are above 100m

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions
6 hours ago, Jonan92 said:

Snowing at just 100m in the Basque Country

I am off to Andalusia in two weeks, forecast up to now looks good 

Posted
52 minutes ago, Jan said:

I am off to Andalusia in two weeks, forecast up to now looks good 

Well, Andalusia and the Basque Country have a very very differnt climate

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Tornado in Eastern Spain.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

Partly cloudy with sunny spells, currently 18c with a light breeze here in Huertas Bajas. The wind really whipped up in the night it was very strong but it died off by daybreak

• 1 month later...
Posted

A truly disgusting March here in Madrid and looks the same the rest of the month.

Wetter than any January I can remember in the UK and almost no sunshine for two weeks just storm after storm, consistenly below average and windy too with another washout weekend on the way followed by biting North Easterlies next week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
12 hours ago, conor123 said:

A truly disgusting March here in Madrid and looks the same the rest of the month.

Wetter than any January I can remember in the UK and almost no sunshine for two weeks just storm after storm, consistenly below average and windy too with another washout weekend on the way followed by biting North Easterlies next week.

Sounds very familiar, it was similar when I lived there. March and April 2013 were very rainy there. May was also unsettled but interspersed with some warm/hot days.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Afternoon all,

I hope it is going to start warming up now, heading down to Seville & Cordoba next week from SW France, looking for some sun.

FC

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
4 hours ago, frozencanals said:

Afternoon all,

I hope it is going to start warming up now, heading down to Seville & Cordoba next week from SW France, looking for some sun.

FC

No significant warm up in sight yet for Spain and Portugal

ANOM2m_mean_europe.thumb.png.c8b1768049d61094fe0ee59c33d831ce.pngANOM2m_trend_europe.thumb.png.4ca88247021e75dde054d3b1b48cc470.png

Germany and Poland on the other hand...

• 2 months later...
Posted

Currently on A63 heading from Bordeaux to San Sebastian, over towards Lourdes thr sky looks amazing, other half won't detour We had loads of storms last night on the drive down, the lightening was constant and very loud thunder, great stuff!!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Off to the Algarve 2nd week of July (couldn't see a thread for Portugal).  I've noticed that it's been decidedly cooler down there (and a bit wetter) than normal for this time of year, any signs of this settling down.  Just for that week you understand...........-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
23 hours ago, Rickoza said:

Off to the Algarve 2nd week of July (couldn't see a thread for Portugal).  I've noticed that it's been decidedly cooler down there (and a bit wetter) than normal for this time of year, any signs of this settling down.  Just for that week you understand...........-)

Hi there,

2nd week of July is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too far off at present to give a forecast. As you say it's currently unsettled over the region, and forecast to remain pretty wet over the region for the next 10 days with a trough parked there. Ironically the best weather is forecast here in the UK for the next 7-10 days. There are tentative signs of the trough lifting out of that area and the weather turning more settled, warm/hot into July, but that's a long way off. Try coming back in a week or so for a better idea.

Posted

Great summary!  We are off to Praia Da Rocha 2nd week in July.  I know it's a bit far away (14 days) but heading towards the forecasting period.  Any chance of a similar forecast for then (perhaps request nearer the time?)?

Been watching the weather for the Algarve for a while now and it does seem quite unseasonal at the moment and seems to have been for a while (co-incidentally lovely here even in Central Scotland).

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 21:33, Rickoza said:

Seeing conflicting forecasts for the Algarve.  Any one give me a definitive one for the next 10 days please?

Hi there @Rickoza , It's been proving difficult to nail down any great accuracy due to the uncertainty from hurricane Chris which is due to track across the Atlantic in the days ahead. Giving a lot of forecasting headaches!

Praia da Rocha in the Algarve at the moment is probably looking sunny every day, with temperatures in the mid twenties.

The rainfall chart below shows the area to be dry for the next 10 days too. Looking more likely the low will now stay closer to the UK and not affect southern Iberia, so if I were a betting man, I'd say your holiday is looking great!

240-777SP.GIF?11-0

Edited by mb018538

• 3 weeks later...

Some potentially record breaking weather for the Iberian Penisula towards the end of this week and over the weekend. 

GFS is going for the 50c barrier to be broken over Portugal for both Friday and Saturday. 850Hpa temps are widely set to rise to 30c on both days.

GFSOPSP12_75_48.thumb.png.e6d0a5fe98d54bd61b65e2cb8be069b4.pngGFSOPSP12_99_48.thumb.png.7b8aa45cb578d34f7532ecbd6d3761f1.pngGFSOPSP12_75_2.thumb.png.8ebbdfb208145c9aac784efb3bc5a93b.pngGFSOPSP12_99_2.png

The Current record is around 47c for both Portugal and Spain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_extreme_temperatures

Today the temp was over 40c in Spain locally and over 35c very widely.

https://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/current?LANG=en&UP=0&R=310&TYP=tmax&ART=tabelle&LANG=en&DATE=1533063600&KEY=SP&LAND=SP&CONT=euro&SORT=3&SI=mph&CEL=C&UD=0

image.thumb.png.ebdd5b07d3ff48f455f9cae15cdd57fe.png

Edited by J10