Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spain Weather

Posted

All-Time May Heat Record for Europe Falls For the 2nd Time This Month

An extreme May heat wave unprecedented in European recorded history has invaded Spain and Portugal, bringing the hottest May temperatures ever recorded on the continent. According to the Spanish meteorological agency, AEMET, at least four stations in the Valencian Community of eastern Spain hit temperatures today in excess of the previous European May heat record set just eight days ago--a 41.9°C (107.4°F) reading at Catenanuova, Sicily (Italy) on May 6. Today's European record-breaking May temperatures in Spain included:

Carcaixent: 42.9°C (109.2°F)

Xativa: 42.7°C (108.9°F)

Algemesi: 42.6°C (108.7°F)

Valencia: 42.6°C (108.7°F)

Many stations in Spain's Valencian community went above their June records, and were near their all-time records for any month. The record set at Valencia Airport today was 6.6°C (11.9°F) above the previous highest May temperature, was 4.4°C (7.9°F) higher than the record for June, and was the 3rd hottest temperature since records began in 1869 for any month! This week's heat wave began yesterday, when hot air from North Africa flowed northwards over Spain and Portugal, setting all-time May heat records at Madrid, Sevilla, Cordoba, Ciudad Real, Granada, and many other cities. Portugal beat its all-time May heat record with a 40.0°C (104.0°F) reading at Beja EMA (old record: 39.5°C, 103.1°F, at Regua on May 28, 2001.) The most remarkable record yesterday, however, was from the Canary Islands to the southwest of Spain, where Lanzarote Airport hit 42.6°C (108.7°F), breaking its old record for the entire month of May by 6°C (10.8°F)! The old record was 36.6 °C (97.9°F) on May 24, 1986.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2987

• Like 2

Posted

Tks for the link, just what I was looking for. I'll keep a tab open with an online translator.

Temps yesterday - can't argue with the official upper maximums but locally, and of course unofficially, the temps topped at about 44/45 - substantial numbers of people have small weather stations, yes, unreliable but there has been wide consensus as to the top temps mid afternoon yesterday. We also had a poniente, a windstorm of scorching Saharan air, which added to the misery.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Tks for the link, just what I was looking for. I'll keep a tab open with an online translator.

Temps yesterday - can't argue with the official upper maximums but locally, and of course unofficially, the temps topped at about 44/45 - substantial numbers of people have small weather stations, yes, unreliable but there has been wide consensus as to the top temps mid afternoon yesterday. We also had a poniente, a windstorm of scorching Saharan air, which added to the misery.

I heard some temp records were broken by 7c for May. Imagine that in UK, wouldn't happen

Amazing set of conditions that caused it

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Can anyone tell me where i can get a forecast for Palma, Majorca for the period August 28th to September 14th 2015? 

I am going then and need to know whether i am likely to be hit my thunderstorms rain and wind! Or whether it will be hot and sunny for 2 weeks? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I'm in Majorca at the moment and literally wetting myself with excitement - Level 2 issued by Estofex for tonight.

http://www.estofex.org/cgi-bin/polygon/showforecast.cgi?text=yes&fcstfile=2015080106_201507301841_2_stormforecast.xml

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

I'm in Majorca at the moment and literally wetting myself with excitement - Level 2 issued by Estofex for tonight.

http://www.estofex.org/cgi-bin/polygon/showforecast.cgi?text=yes&fcstfile=2015080106_201507301841_2_stormforecast.xml

As ESTOFEX say "the stage is set"! Do take some photos if you can, the viewing potential especially on an island can be unbelievable. Stay safe though, it's a bit of a scary setup down there and things could get pretty wild - it makes you remember that the Mediterranean is not just flat calm blue water and idyllic sunny beaches! Enjoy...

EDIT: Look at lightningmaps - almost the whole of Spain is being engulfed by storms!

Edited by Spikecollie
  • Like 1

Posted

As ESTOFEX say "the stage is set"! Do take some photos if you can, the viewing potential especially on an island can be unbelievable. Stay safe though, it's a bit of a scary setup down there and things could get pretty wild - it makes you remember that the Mediterranean is not just flat calm blue water and idyllic sunny beaches! Enjoy...

EDIT: Look at lightningmaps - almost the whole of Spain is being engulfed by storms!

I'll try to, assuming it's not a bust! It's been sooo humid here. Ac Cas the last couple of evenings but just strong sunshine all day today. Very windy though and high cloud moving in from the South now.

We've changed rooms from a SW facing balcony to a NW facing balcony, so I may have to venture out to get a good view. We'll see what happens!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

I'll try to, assuming it's not a bust! It's been sooo humid here. Ac Cas the last couple of evenings but just strong sunshine all day today. Very windy though and high cloud moving in from the South now.

We've changed rooms from a SW facing balcony to a NW facing balcony, so I may have to venture out to get a good view. We'll see what happens!

Hang in there - the METAR for Palma de Mallorca is forecasting storms from 2100 until tomorrow morning. I don't think you'll be getting much sleep tonight if it all goes to plan!

Edited by Spikecollie
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

My word. This one I bet is shocking many unaware holiday makers!

I've witnessed a Mediterranean thunderstorm on a couple of occasions. Can really get quite exciting when they do happen, let's put it that way!

• Like 1

Posted

So, I've caught a few flashes of lightning over Majorca this evening - nothing too much and not too close, but some nice low pitched rolling thunder. Seems to have died away as quickly as it started.

Seems like the main event, if there is to be one, may be a few hours off yet. May try getting some kip and hoping I'm woken up if it properly kicks off. (Have to balance my love of thunderstorms with keeping my wife onside! She wouldn't be best pleased if I do an all nighter and am too tired to be of much use looking after the kids tomorrow...)

Here's hoping we all get woken up on the middle of the night!!!

Posted

I don't have a good feel about this. I suspect I've seen all I'm going to see tonight. Ho hum, we'll see.

Night.

Posted

Seems I may have lucked out. Weak storm skirting with the south of the island this morning (I'm in the north) and a nice looking storm just north of Ibiza.

Nothing doing here, just a bit grim.

EDIT: that storm north of Ibiza appears to have developed supercellular characteristics. Very rapid development and a definate hook echo now showing on the radar return.

post-3724-0-94546300-1438413353_thumb.pn

post-3724-0-07511200-1438415991_thumb.pn

Edited by Luke Best

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

This was published today by Meteo-France in a report on the Europe-wide record breaking heat in July:

In Spain, it was the hottest month of July since records began

In Spain, there was a national average of 27.0C and an abnormality of +3.8C degrees relative to normal, making July 2015 the hottest July since records began. A temperature of 40C was reached 18 times, with a peak of 45.2C on July 6th. In Cordoba, it was the hottest month since August 2003. In Malaga it was hotter than August 2003. 

850 hPa temperature anomaly for July 2015 versus 1981-2010 average (courtesy of Meteo-France):

post-20040-0-78573400-1438716854_thumb.p

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

Just back from Benidorm, caught in town with torrential rain storm Monday 7th Sept., drains started bursting out the ground and rivers flowing down the streets. On tuesday about half 11 just before heading out a severe T storm started and lasted for about 3 hours. Nest day was clear blue skies all day. 

• 1 month later...
Posted

A large weather system is currently crossing Spain which is forecast to bring exceptionally heavy rain and possibly what is known as a gota fria.  This often (but not always) gives rise to considerable flooding. http://www.eltiempo.es/lluvia/ and follow the sequence. In anticipation of the worst, people are moving items off floors at ground level and taking all precautions associated with a possible flood.  This is a regular occurrence in autumn and is an interesting weather phenomenon.  The links below explain. They are in Spanish but run them through google translate if you are interested.

http://www.aemet.es/documentos/es/conocermas/estudios/dana_ext.pdf

http://www.tiempo.com/ram/105/sistemas-convectivos-de-mesoescala-y-gota-fria/

• Like 1

• 3 months later...