Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion for 06/0614 - 07-06-14

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

That storm in the northern part of the Netherlands is absolutely brutal!! What a beast! France is kicking off quite nicely also, I wonder what has changed in the last 20 years that the storms no longer are prevalent on our islands?I wonder if we really had a load of storms or its just memory compression, where all of our memories get so compressed that they seem to happen in the same time frame where as they may of happened years apart?

Nope, I used to keep storm diaries and we definitely had many in the 90's.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Favoured places for me North Midlands and Yorkshire coupled with some temps in low 20's may do the job. Sadly can't post the images for some reason.

Edited by The PIT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I think wales could be todays sweet spot looking at developments on satt 24 !!......

Wouldn't stuff from Wales head this way as well? Whereabouts should I be looking for developments for my area?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Favoured places for me North Midlands and Yorkshire coupled with some temps in low 20's may do the job. Sadly can't post the images for some reason.

I think you have to change the extension. Put the image in Paint and change the extension to .jpg.

Posted

I think you have to change the extension. Put the image in Paint and change the extension to .jpg.

Did that still wouldn't show properly.

Posted

if only we could have had this early morning heat yesterday, not much forecast for here today, maybe a light shower around 5pm

Posted

Morning@all

The balloon crew at Herstmonceux have managed to launch the "midnight express"  :good:

The Skew-T diagram 00z today basically sums it all up (courtesy UNI Wyoming)

http://weather.uwyo.edu/cgi-bin/sounding?region=europe&TYPE=GIF%3ASKEWT&YEAR=2014&MONTH=06&FROM=0800&TO=0800&STNM=03882

Cap, divergence, dry air intrusion etc, all convection killers for the SE UK

I would say: BBQ and swimming time today there 8)

Ralph

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

No chance of thunderstorms today in London! Sunny and warm and that is how it is going to stay, unless the forecast is totally wrong, which happens from time to time! :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow, Storms. Summer: Heat, Thunder

Any details on tonight's rain? WRF model on meteociel shows some very heavy rain hugging the south east coast overnight, with the near continent so primed for storms today could we have a decent import?

Posted

Keraunos have done a write-up on the storms over France and Belgium - some great pictures from the chasers on scene.

http://www.keraunos.org/actualites/fil-infos/2014/juin/orages-7-juin-2014-supercellules-nord-aquitaine-limousin-belgique-grele.html

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Keraunos have done a write-up on the storms over France and Belgium - some great pictures from the chasers on scene.

http://www.keraunos.org/actualites/fil-infos/2014/juin/orages-7-juin-2014-supercellules-nord-aquitaine-limousin-belgique-grele.html

Can only dream of seeing something like that over here. Great link, thanks!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

After having a quick flick through the NMM charts, I see there is a small risk of a Kent clipper overnight- mlcape figures around 600 - 700j/kg in a few places, dewpoints favourable in the southeast corner too. The NMM can have a tendency to push things a bit further west sometimes, but there's definitely a small chance of seeing something elevated.

Posted

First big showers of the day just started here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms of any kind, Snow

So what happened to the chances of thunderstorms tonight that people were raving about?

Posted

Wonder what the chances are tomorrow, despite decent CAPE shown on the GFS I suspect there will be a cap in place too..(though the 06z downgraded CAPE of course). Wonder if there's any chance of thundery stuff clipping Kent tomorrow evening, would be free to drive tomorrow evening if it did look like a decent light show might occur but I guess it will be just too far east and anything tonight into tomorrow will just be rain. That's what the BBC think anyway.Looks like the SE is again going to be stuck in the boring zone between the big continental storms and the potential further north/west in the next few days, before high pressure builds in Wednesday onwards. Certainly doesn't feel like the most thunder prone region of the UK at all, that seems more like northern England into Lincolnshire of course.

Posted

Morning@all The balloon crew at Herstmonceux have managed to launch the "midnight express"  :good: The Skew-T diagram 00z today basically sums it all up (courtesy UNI Wyoming) http://weather.uwyo.edu/cgi-bin/sounding?region=europe&TYPE=GIF%3ASKEWT&YEAR=2014&MONTH=06&FROM=0800&TO=0800&STNM=03882 Cap, divergence, dry air intrusion etc, all convection killers for the SE UK I would say: BBQ and swimming time today there 8) Ralph

Not good, this so called thundery spell is a utter disgrace. I can't get my head around how good it was looking some 48 hours ago, throughout the year the SE has been very poor for storms, except from that Kent clipper that packed a punch. We get the higher dp and the higher temperatures, and the increasing humidity, we are the closest to France, yet some place that was not even forecasted storms gets it all. What happened to them good ol' storms of yesteryear. :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

After having a quick flick through the NMM charts, I see there is a small risk of a Kent clipper overnight- mlcape figures around 600 - 700j/kg in a few places, dewpoints favourable in the southeast corner too. The NMM can have a tendency to push things a bit further west sometimes, but there's definitely a small chance of seeing something elevated.

Will it be a Kent clipper or Kent kipper join us on the next episode :)Yep beautiful blue skies here, no clouds definitely going to enjoy the sunshine. Had a Norwich clipper here yesterday morning with some rumbles of thunder and a flash seen. Winds picked up with moderate rain for a short time. Was going to chase but didn't expect it so early. Tbh my main calling is now severe storms with decent features as I have experienced a couple and they are amazing just need to have one where I have all my recording equipment I.e camcorder, charged up phone etc as I missed out on the ones before. I nearly did on one particular event that i nearly went to get it but decided to turn around about a mile from home cause I had to go to my martial arts lesson which I was seriously thinking about missing. There were picturesque turkey towers all around. Near my martial arts class I could see a decent anvil. A storm passed over during my class, afterwards I could still see an anvil so I headed towards it down the a11. It then came apparent how intense this storm was! No vid or pictures gutted :(
  • Like 1

Posted

Golly it's already exploded big time in ireland so it seems

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Can only dream of seeing something like that over here. Great link, thanks!

"Can only dream"..... I think i'd past out if this was incoming..... Great Link, Gael Force; http://www.keraunos.org/actualites/fil-infos/2014/juin/orages-7-juin-2014-supercellules-nord-aquitaine-limousin-belgique-grele.html

Posted Image

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 4

Posted

One thing to remember about T Skews is that it shows the prsent conditions it doesn't mean that stable conditions or unstable won't move away later.

• Like 1