Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion for 06/0614 - 07-06-14

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

Some very strange clouds and movement in the skies to the south of Milton Keynes.

probably ghost of old wimbledon players

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

This was a photo at half 5 this morning that i took at work!

This was before the storm hit, was a very crazy and a very wet (i work at sainsburys and was putting stuff outside) half an hour or so! 

Lightening every few seconds it seemed

post-18571-0-62439100-1402133460_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything out of the ordinary, except extreme heat

We have CGs! Toot toot!

Didn't see any lightning but did hear thunder in the distance.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Nice gust front just gone over and some thunder at last.

Posted

Okay so here is the dilemma. Met Office precipitation forecast shows Derby under some heavy precipitation early afternoon and I can see I am still to the east and north of the CF. However, there is thick cloud here now so surface heating is not really happening.  Tony G on ukww has highlighted East Anglia, the Wash and Cambridgeshire as the best places this afternoon - and GFS/WRF would agree with this. However, it is dependent on clouds clearing in order to bring about surface based storms. Unsure whether to head east to catch anything that develops around Cambridgeshire/Lincolnshire/EA or stay put.

Clear slot is moving in quickly from the south post cold front but more of a 'showery' type environment dependent on surface heating.Usual hundreds of posts cluttering up the thread moaning about lack of storms. That was a very widespread event last night but by their very nature convective events are unpredictable and not everybody will see anything. Sun coming out here as I write this post.

Posted

Nice gust front just gone over and some thunder at last.

yeah took a photo of the gust front - although not sure how well it will come out

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

I give up!

Fine, all I'm saying is that the wording was put wrong. Not what you had said as what you said is correct. :sigh:

Posted

Rain gradually getting closer to us here but doesn't look electrified maybe the cold front will pep up later as it moves north who knows (but CAPE didn't look anything special for us here)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

kicking off in Essex now :)

If it's what we just had, don't get too excited.

Posted

well, that was a crock of ****. Three rumbles at 9am and thats it, thats how plume destablisation goes round here since 2006. Thats me done with UK storms for a while I think, unless you live in peterborough these days there doesn't seem much point. See you guys around, hope you get to see something:)

That was very significant plume destabilisation exactly as forecast - just not directly over your location that's all.
  • Like 1

Posted

Electrical activity seems to be waning a bit, still some in the east/southeast though.

Posted ImageScreenshot_2014-06-07-10-28-09.png

Diurnal minimum I'm afraid
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Another heavy shower here, no lightning once again

Posted

looks like a cluster of heavy showers/storms may just be starting to develope on the back edge of this initial band (around the huddersfield area.) Something to watch for those of us in leeds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

its thunder every minute which will do me:)

Not what we had then.

Seriously, those who are moaning - it's 10:40am! Fair enough if you are not in the risk zone, but even then you should be posting in the No Storms Club. Get a grip!

As for the front heading north. Just how crucial will surface heating be? Clearly there is some activity on the front already, and the temperature will naturally rise through today even without any decent sunny breaks. I don't know myself, but it was always going to be a messy situation today, and I'm not sure anyone was expecting blue skies and home-grown storms popping up everywhere. Do we really need the sun to break through this afternoon? (I know it'll help if it does, but I'm not convinced it's game over if it doesn't).

:)

Posted

And those simply posting just to moan and winge at their lack of storms, please go in the moaning thread as all you are doing is clogging this one up!

This is a developing situation, that's barely even begun so to right it off is beyond ridiculus..  :nonono:

• Like 3

Hmm, the BBC are forecasting me a thunderstorm at 12:00. Do I dare believe them?

I'd ignore the forecasts and just watch the radar. It's nowcasting time now. The forecasts are based around outdated precip models now.