Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / storm Discussion - 5th June 2014 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

Another Question

when the bbc is showing greens and yellows on their forecast maps is that the severity of the storms eg : lightning , hail or is more the intensity of rain because I can handle that it's the frequent lightning that I cannot

Edited by Gordon Webb

Posted

when the bbc is showing greens and yellows on their forecast maps is that the severity of the storms eg : lightning , hail or is more the intensity of rain because I can handle that it's frequent lightning that I cannot

It indicates heavier rain.

Posted

we have camping chairs, tripods, three DSLR cameras, energy drinks and most importantly of all, a crate of beer.

Our vantage point looks due south and west towards Winchester and Southampton beyond, last time we were up there we caught a few glimpses of fork lightning which i would estimate as far away as the channel (40-50 miles) seeing as I dont think any strikes occured in-land that evening...so fingers crossed. Its now or never gentlemen

I always like to have my little radio with me aswell so i can hear the strikes, its always nice to hear a strike and see a flicker in the distance, otherwise my eyes start to play tricks on me seeing flashes that aren't there.

Best of luck

Posted

Well I am not 100% on anything organised, but individual cells clustered closely together is more likely I'd say.  I'd say two waves of storms tonight, initially from the trough then the cold front. 

See First Wave - http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/city-of-london-greater-london#?tab=map&zoom=7&lon=-1.61&lat=51.09&map=Rainfall&fcTime=1402056000

Second Wave - http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/city-of-london-greater-london#?tab=map&zoom=7&lon=-1.61&lat=51.09&map=Rainfall&fcTime=1402077600

This tonight would be great

Thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

A couple of pictures I just took, lovely and warm today, wind is beginning to drop a bit.

post-15177-0-34672700-1402059644_thumb.jpost-15177-0-74070600-1402059687_thumb.j

• Like 5

Posted

It indicates heavier rain.

so that means the thunder and lightning within that could be quite variable

Posted

Anyone know any good south facing view points in my area as I want to get some lighting photos with my I phone.

Edited by Tom Jarvis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Have a look for viewpoints on the South Downs, Tom. I know you can park up at several but can't think of any off hand.

Posted

Anyone know any good south facing view points in my area as I want to get some lighting photos with my I phone.

Do you have a lightning trigger app? A friend of mine showed it to me the other day and it seemed to work quite well.

Posted

Well I am not 100% on anything organised, but individual cells clustered closely together is more likely I'd say.  I'd say two waves of storms tonight, initially from the trough then the cold front.  See First Wave - http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/city-of-london-greater-london#?tab=map&zoom=7&lon=-1.61&lat=51.09&map=Rainfall&fcTime=1402056000 Second Wave - http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/city-of-london-greater-london#?tab=map&zoom=7&lon=-1.61&lat=51.09&map=Rainfall&fcTime=1402077600 This tonight would be great 

it looks speeded up but having experienced that storm first hand I can assure you it wasn't. August 2011 was a good year in France !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

This is something we are also genuinely worried about haha which is why i'm hoping anything that develops will slip by slightly to the west. We literally have nowhere to fall back to as the car will be a good half mile away:(

Minutes after photographing this at the top of the Kingsclere downs, it came directly overhead. The hail was a whiteout and i remember sprinting the 400 yards or so down the hill and back to the car as lightning was flashing all around and the thunder was one continuos, explosive roar.

Safe to say, never want to be in that position again, I was genuinely terrified..and very wet.

That sounded a pretty frightening experience! Getting pelted by hail is bad enough, but lightining dodgying too! The views must be amazing though!

Posted

I'm looking forward to later this evening & hoping it does kick-off. Always one of the highlights of summer huddled over the PC, looking for radars & webcams, watching for developments. Of course, it's then usually off to bed thoroughly fed up, but we keep doing it!

• Like 2

Posted

Good luck to you South Coast lot tonight! Catch us some night time shots! 

Il be chasing in Lincolnshire tomorrow, Sleaford to Peterborough being the target area

Edited by ChezWeather
  • Like 1

Posted

That sounded a pretty frightening experience! Getting pelted by hail is bad enough, but lightining dodgying too! The views must be amazing though!

Yes it wasnt much fun at that point.

APART from as i was running down the hill before the hail started, I got to actually quote Gandalf and shout "RUN YOU FOOLS!" at a young couple nonchelantly walking their dog up towards the incoming deluge. I enjoyed that:)

• Like 3

Posted

would somebody like to attempt to explain why I have loads of DVD's concerning Lightning and Tornados which I can watch without problems but cannot face it going on around me , common sense would dictate if you can do one you can do the other

Posted

Well I am not 100% on anything organised, but individual cells clustered closely together is more likely I'd say.  I'd say two waves of storms tonight, initially from the trough then the cold front. 

See First Wave - http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/city-of-london-greater-london#?tab=map&zoom=7&lon=-1.61&lat=51.09&map=Rainfall&fcTime=1402056000

Second Wave - http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/city-of-london-greater-london#?tab=map&zoom=7&lon=-1.61&lat=51.09&map=Rainfall&fcTime=1402077600

how often do those charts update

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Yes it wasnt much fun at that point.

APART from as i was running down the hill before the hail started, I got to actually quote Gandalf and shout "RUN YOU FOOLS!" at a young couple nonchelantly walking their dog up towards the incoming deluge. I enjoyed that:)

Always good to get a Gandalf quote in! :laugh: I take it you didn't stick around to see if they took your advice, much like Gandalf!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Absolutely amazing footage, cr*ps over any storms I have witnessed whilst chasing for the last 10 or so years :D

Notice the relative infrequency of thunder in relation to the lightning, indicative I think of elevated storms. I have witnessed that myself on numerous occasions, but only with plume type set ups such as what we have forecast tonight.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

whats the chance of another shunt to the East

then all the fun over the sea :)

Quite high, I'm pretty much expecting it TBH. Noticed the BBC graphics have nudged east from this morning too.

Posted

Well I love a good storm - plenty of booming thunder, flashes of lightning and torrential rain. But the precursor to all this I can't stand. My head is really hurting this afternoon. Already popped a few paracetamol. It is always a good telltale sign for me that storms are on the way.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I don't buy this whole headaches being a sign of a thunderstorm malarkey. IMO it's probably due to slight dehydration owing to the fact it's warm and humid outside. People just associate it with thunderstorms because sometimes thunderstorms are associated with warm, muggy weather. The myth perpetuated from there. Drink a pint of water  :)

I've rolled my eyes a few times when people I know have said there's storms on the way because they happened to have a headache....I knew there wasn't any storms on the way but all I can do is grin and nod slowly lol.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 6