Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / storm Discussion - 5th June 2014 onwards

Posted

With regard to thunderstorms  has there ever been a red warning from the meto?  also could the areas that will be most affected saturday  be upgraded to amber?

• Like 1

Posted

C'Mon....., what the difference between elevated and surface thunderstorms? Please??

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/77200-a-guide-to-thunderstorms-in-the-british-isles/ 

Check out the PDF nick F put together on this page, point 3 goes into Spanish plume set ups and elevated storms. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

I've never seen anything that even resembles a funnel cloud in the UK, even a number of years ago we had that big one here in Birmingham,

i was two miles from it and guess what?.... i didn't see a thing lol! :good:

I'll have my own little one here on Net Weather instead Posted Image F minus 10

I like Your fancy pants smileys, the twister one is the best yet!

Indeed William, ha ha lol

Bring it on.....

Lets just all have one big thunderstorm

It will probably change again tomorrow with the east getting thunderstorms and the west getting drizzle! :p  Or the whole of the UK might just end up seeing something half decent! To those scared of thunder, the chances of you coming to any harm whilst indoors during a storm are remote! Stand in a field or under a tree with a metal pole in your hand, then you're asking for trouble!

• Like 4

Posted

I have one word...Lincolnshire.

why do you say that? everything is getting edged further west from what i understand, i hope im wrong though.lol

Posted

In all seriousness, have you considered some type of meditation/relaxation methods to help you deal with your fear?

What is it that scares you exactly? If you know that then you might be able to focus on working on that aspect of it.

Same with me........ I am terrified of thunder/lightning, obviously it's the lightning element that actually terrifies me, I'm not so bad if I am with a group of people, in what I consider a "safe place" but on my own, i'm useless! Most likely seen running to get in a car, wind up Windows, feet on rubber mat, hands off all inside of the car and wait until it passes over... I actually have recurring nightmares about lightning, thunder, ridiculously massive tornados, stupid constant lightning, hitting everywhere around me..... Feeling nervous just thinking about it.......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

C'Mon....., what the difference between elevated and surface thunderstorms? Please??

briefly, surface based thunderstorms are formed in the lower (surface) levels of the atmosphere and are influenced by conditions in the lowest layer, such as surface based convective energy released by solar heating, low level wind convergence and lower level convection (convection by definition in weather terms is the vertical transport of heat and moisture)

elevated thunderstorms are storms that develop in the mid levels of the atmosphere and are not directly influenced by surface conditions but by conditions in the mid and upper atmosphere (instability) and can be forecasted by considering parameters such as mixed layer cape, lapse rates in the mid layers (lapse rates are the temperature gradient between two different altitudes) 

for a more detailed explanation, have a look at Nick's guide to thunderstorms in the learners sub-forum  :good:

Edited by ajpoolshark
  • Like 3

Posted

solid post Andy....elevated storms will also be a player tomorrow overnight and into the early hours of saturday morning

please please please! Couldn't care less about the main "event" later on saturday as I always find we are too far south-west for such set-ups, but some night time lightning beforehand would be lovely

Posted

Few pics from yesterdays afternoon storm real surprise really!

2 flashes of lightning and some great thunder! 

Posted Imagephoto 1.JPG

Posted Imagephoto 2.JPG

Posted Imagephoto 3.JPG

Stop hogging all the storms lol send some down to me pls

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Indeed William, ha ha lol

Bring it on.....

Lets just all have one big thunderstorm

God I wish.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

I like Your fancy pants smileys, the twister one is the best yet!

It will probably change again tomorrow with the east getting thunderstorms and the west getting drizzle! :p  Or the whole of the UK might just end up seeing something half decent! To those scared of thunder, the chances of you coming to any harm whilst indoors during a storm are remote! Stand in a field or under a tree with a metal pole in your hand, then you're asking for trouble!

We won't get drizzle we'll probably just get heavy rain, that's all I'm expecting currently.

Posted

I've never seen anything that even resembles a funnel cloud in the UK, even a number of years ago we had that big one here in Birmingham,

i was two miles from it and guess what?.... i didn't see a thing lol! :good:

I'll have my own little one here on Net Weather instead Posted Image F minus 10

If you move to UK's Tornado alley might get a chance to see funnel the odd small touchdown in the ring of fire  :wink:

Edited by vladthemert
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Think I'm going to go with 'light rain' and see what the clouds tell me on Saturday.

When i was living by the south downs. It was summer and my dad called me outside to show me the funnel cloud over the hills just before we had a storm. I wish I had, had some way of taking a picture then, could clearly see the rotation and everything- amazing. sadly it is the only one i have seem since and that was maybe 30 years ago.

Posted

Net weather has us for 82%storm chance Saturday (yay!)but met office.....light rain! Despite us being under yellow warning?

Posted

Net weather has us for 82%storm chance Saturday (yay!)but met office.....light rain! Despite us being under yellow warning?

Still think Lincolnshire is the place to be on Saturday afternoon...

Does anybody know if this setup looks very similar to June 28th 2012 in any ways?

This was the outcome of that day as im sure we can all remember! 

post-17481-0-12191700-1401983831_thumb.j

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

As things currently stand this is roughly where I think the most severe weather could well occur during Saturday given current available data. Torrential rainfall with embedded cells & home grown convection with a risk of MCS - especially for central and SE areas given the high CAPE & Li. 

I could be wrong, this is just how I see it atm.... 

Posted ImagemapukT.png

What are MCS?? Not familiar with that. :)

Posted

By the way Meteociel have a live lightning strike map now, the other site doesn't work for me. Could be useful in the coming days

http://meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/foudre-direct.php

Some decent storms firing away across the US now

http://meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/foudre-direct.php?region=na

wow it is going nuts thanks for the information 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Think I'm going to go with 'light rain' and see what the clouds tell me on Saturday.

When i was living by the south downs. It was summer and my dad called me outside to show me the funnel cloud over the hills just before we had a storm. I wish I had, had some way of taking a picture then, could clearly see the rotation and everything- amazing. sadly it is the only one i have seem since and that was maybe 30 years ago.

I've just seen the one funnel cloud too, years ago, visible from my bedroom window! Didn't have a camera, wasn't as good as the one you saw, but still quite a sight! Come to think of it, it actually looked like drool/snot dribbling out of the thunder cloud!

Edited by lassie23

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

What are MCS?? Not familiar with that. :)

Mesoscale Convective System......From earlier >>>> http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/80454-convective-storm-discussion-28th-may-2014-onwards/page-25#entry2981407 Also a good link from Nick F

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

I have a feeling Saturday will consist of more dynamic rainfall with embedded storms, some of which could be very potent, rather than individual storms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

I think the Midlands into Lincolnshire will come off best. Its just logical that they are perfectly placed for the best SB conditions as the storms can feed off so much energy from the heated landmass and give cells time to mature and become severe. 28th June 2012, a prime prime example.

In history, I think that a real good place for storms is infact a small town called Holbeach, South Lincs. Ive been in that area a few times in the past, and have witnessed some real corkers there more than anywhere else I've been in the UK, probably due to the long fetch of the heated flat fenland. Sleaford area seems to bode very well too. Local topography is a real key player in storm setups.

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 2