Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / storm Discussion - 5th June 2014 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Better and better.... I love them words :good:

To more knowledgeable folk could you please explain what is CIN (Convective Inhibition) all about or even interpret whats happening in this chart below.....

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/wrfnmm.php?ech=3&mode=23&map=5 Cheers :)

Posted Image

To my limited knowledge, that is showing negative cape, something worth looking at when determining capping.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

From Nick F's TS guide http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/29496-guide-to-uk-thunderstorms-setups/

"a storm complex may develop called a Mesoscale Convective System or MCS which is an area of deep convective cloud that has an anvil which can be several hundred kms across in diameter". which may explain less isol. "thunderstorm" and more use of heavy thundery rain, without the scare factor

with the 18C WBPT air coming all the way up from N.Africa, one Met Office model is showing signs of a MCS -like cluster, as 06Z drops just into the last frame of their highest resolution model.

Still uncertainty about whether all this potential will release and having a wide area covered by the Yellow warning at this stage, is fair enough for the general public and their weekend plans. 

• Like 6

Better and better.... I love them words :good:

To more knowledgeable folk could you please explain what is CIN (Convective Inhibition) all about or even interpret whats happening in this chart below.....

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/wrfnmm.php?ech=3&mode=23&map=5 Cheers :)

http://www.theweatherprediction.com/habyhints/306/

CINH (Convective Inhibition in units of Joules per kilogram) is anti-CAPE (negative CAPE) in the lower troposphere. This is the region where a parcel of air if raised from the lower PBL would sink back down again. Another term for CINH is a capping layer. The capping layer must be broken before lower PBL based lifting is able to move into the +CAPE region of a sounding and develop into deep convection.

Amount of capping basically, but that won't last long as we move through Saturday

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

The highest CAPE values are more widespread than what the previous GFS runs show, especially in the Midlands, East & SW England, but the maximum LI is still -4 for most places in the most recent run, not quite high enough to bring "The worst hailstorms in 170 years". The timing of the precipitation may not be so good for all places either.

post-17472-0-03497700-1401971027_thumb.j post-17472-0-19904600-1401971128_thumb.j post-17472-0-77168700-1401971714_thumb.j

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

From Nick F's TS guide http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/29496-guide-to-uk-thunderstorms-setups/

"a storm complex may develop called a Mesoscale Convective System or MCS which is an area of deep convective cloud that has an anvil which can be several hundred kms across in diameter". which may explain less isol. "thunderstorm" and more use of heavy thundery rain, without the scare factor

with the 18C WBPT air coming all the way up from N.Africa, one Met Office model is showing signs of a MCS -like cluster, as 06Z drops just into the last frame of their highest resolution model.

Still uncertainty about whether all this potential will release and having a wide area covered by the Yellow warning at this stage, is fair enough for the general public and their weekend plans. 

Hi Jo..

Just wondering if the Met Office are concerned about the potential for flash flooding in the north west and even the potential for some tornadic events further south. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Charts really not keen on giving the SE much action at all - perhaps my early concerns are seeming increasingly justified?

Another 48 hours to go as yet though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Exciting and nerve-wracking thunderstorm potential building nicely, many parameters showing a possibly memorable event. My main concern is too much clag inhibiting convection, we need some clear air ahead of the cold front to allow decent heating. So it could all go bust but the potential is the best for some time, particularly in the SE.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

To my limited knowledge, that is showing negative cape, something worth looking at when determining capping.

http://www.theweatherprediction.com/habyhints/306/

CINH (Convective Inhibition in units of Joules per kilogram) is anti-CAPE (negative CAPE) in the lower troposphere. This is the region where a parcel of air if raised from the lower PBL would sink back down again. Another term for CINH is a capping layer. The capping layer must be broken before lower PBL based lifting is able to move into the +CAPE region of a sounding and develop into deep convection.

Amount of capping basically, but that won't last long as we move through Saturday

We don't like CIN here, anything that's anti-cape is not good...So soon as the sun gets going that'll diminish..... Cheers, to both of you :wink:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Exciting and nerve-wracking thunderstorm potential building nicely, many parameters showing a possibly memorable event. My main concern is too much clag inhibiting convection, we need some clear air ahead of the cold front to allow decent heating. So it could all go bust but the potential is the best for some time, particularly in the SE.

Then why little precip being shown on the models? :cray:

Posted

Looking at the charts, Friday-Tuesday could be a lot of fun.. for storm chasers and for the rest of us folk chatting and discussing.. may'be searching live streaming cameras or setting up our own! Or just looking out our windows.. loving it!I think the unpredictability of the weather we have is what keeps us going.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Hi Jo..

Just wondering if the Met Office are concerned about the potential for flash flooding in the north west and even the potential for some tornadic events further south. 

You won't draw the MO on tornadoes and they will want another cycle of the model run to see into Saturday day before firming up on areas. Their model has a shower line over the NW around 8am, whereas the NMM has it well off in the North Sea

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

that is a concern too much cloud about especially if the front gets in early and by the met having devon and cornwall in the clear you'd infer that the front is already making inroads

Posted

On the PPN- Remember, thunderstorms are very hit and miss, so PPN charts aren't completely reliable in telling you where a storm 'could be'

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells

CIN is good for bottling up the juice underneath - it can either be eroded by parcels trying to break the cap - often why cumulus clouds becone agitated and the overturning eventualy breaks through, or by synoptic lifting (as dry air cools quicker at the dry adiabatic rate) - short wave troughs moving across generaly synopticaly lift the air for this process. Often see situations in the states where the cap is only broken in certain places, at which point the moisture and heat have pooled nicely underneath, and if the ballance is right the supercells will stay isolated and draw this bottled up air from miles around - I believe this process was part of the famous isolated Hamstead Heath storm that broke the cap over london, and stayed isolated in 1974.

Looking good for satuday! - anyone have any links to forecasted hodographs ?

Cheers, Sam

• Like 1

Posted
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

I thought MLCAPE was more widespread than SBCAPE in these plume events? Not seen one MLCAPE chart posted here yet..

Edited by Convective

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

if the rain and cloud is already this far in by 3am then sunshine in the morning may be at a premium althoguh it does tie in wiht my local met office forecast for the time period

Posted

CIN is good for bottling up the juice underneath - it can either be eroded by parcels trying to break the cap - often why cumulus clouds becone agitated and the overturning eventualy breaks through, or by synoptic lifting (as dry air cools quicker at the dry adiabatic rate) - short wave troughs moving across generaly synopticaly lift the air for this process. Often see situations in the states where the cap is only broken in certain places, at which point the moisture and heat have pooled nicely underneath, and if the ballance is right the supercells will stay isolated and draw this bottled up air from miles around - I believe this process was part of the famous isolated Hamstead Heath storm that broke the cap over london, and stayed isolated in 1974.

Looking good for satuday! - anyone have any links to forecasted hodographs ?

Cheers, Sam

Try this site for available soundings.

http://www.meteokempen.be/soundings.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

This is how the beeb currently see things with central and western areas seeing some torrential downpours though one or two showers may break out in the east where ever you are though it will be a very humid day

Posted ImagePosted Image

Still humid for inland areas on Sunday but less showers

Posted Image

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

In my opinion,anyone in the midlands / east coast has a great chance of seeing something...

Personally i think il be heading towards Newark and Sleaford.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

At lot of forecasts still look good for my area, then I had a look at MetO (for saturday)

Even although I'm in the yellow warning area they have given me :- (wait for it)

light rain http:////f1.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/wallbash.gif

• Like 1