Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / storm Discussion - 5th June 2014 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Please carry on here folks. Such boring weather we are having at the moment Lol. Let's hope tomorrow delivers something. Looking good for some  if I must say. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Well I have next week off so I'm hoping for some good weather, however it looks like low pressure wont be too far away so a second best outcome would be thundery showers akin to last week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

A possibility of some storms tomorrow across SW England and the West Country, maybe also parts of South Wales and the SW Midlands despite CAPE values that are not overly impressive. Even so, where any storms do form they will be able to take advantage of some 30-40 knots of deep layer shear which may allow some organisation and longevity of cells. There does seem to be an area where GFS has higher CAPE and wind convergence around Somerset and Dorset, which is where I think the highest risk would be tomorrow. Main risks tomorrow are from rainfall as storms will be slow moving giving the potential for localised flooding. Severe weather outside this threat would appear unlikely IMO. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Boreathon this week.

Storms guaranteed in 2 weeks time in S.E. I will be away on holiday in Cornwall and bound to miss the year's best event at home while away.

So convinced that I might miss something I have arranged with security guard at work to keep CCTV footage of the car park so I watch the storm when I get home! All I need is the time of the event and the video can be accessed - a bit like watching a missed much loved TV programme.

Looks like another unsettled June holiday like the dirges form last year back to 2007. (Sorry to be off-topic in this section).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Once again the beauty of the late GFS run is shown. Latest output suggests a vast area of moisture rich, thunderstorm prone air moving northwest off the near continent. Oh how it can be a tease. FI so expect it to be gone by the 6Z run.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

A possibility of some storms tomorrow across SW England and the West Country, maybe also parts of South Wales and the SW Midlands despite CAPE values that are not overly impressive. Even so, where any storms do form they will be able to take advantage of some 30-40 knots of deep layer shear which may allow some organisation and longevity of cells. There does seem to be an area where GFS has higher CAPE and wind convergence around Somerset and Dorset, which is where I think the highest risk would be tomorrow. Main risks tomorrow are from rainfall as storms will be slow moving giving the potential for localised flooding. Severe weather outside this threat would appear unlikely IMO. 

Ah, a bit far E, well we'll see as who knows what might happen.

Posted

Already showers bubbling up and there isn't a hint of sunshine.

Posted

First hints of the sun coming through just W of Southampton.

Posted
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Lightning strikes truck on motorway yesterday in Poland. Short clip catches the very moment...http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cfNhz8GCAaE

That's amazing - I wonder what happened to the truck, there seemed to be a lot of flames but it just carried on? The closest I have got in a car was on a very exposed section of autoroute a few years ago near Beaune, CG struck up a relationship with a metal fence at the side of the road and the flash and bang was incredible...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

After having a quick flick through the model's, I could be in a good place for some interesting weather today. My punt would be on North Dorset and Somerset being prime locations, but squeezing in to Devon later on.

It was sunny here, temps got up to 15.6°C, now the black clouds have appeared.

Posted

After having a quick flick through the model's, I could be in a good place for some interesting weather today. My punt would be on North Dorset and Somerset being prime locations, but squeezing in to Devon later on.It was sunny here, temps got up to 15.6°C, now the black clouds have appeared.

Yes, I'm in extreme E Devon so hopefully.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

First hints of the sun coming through just W of Southampton.

I looked at the skew-t for Devon and it did seem to indicate low level cloud for the morning but clearing during the afternoon retaining moisture and low LCL as the dewpoint and temps are still reasonably close and for what I learnt last night seems to be the lower the LCL the less of a trigger needed. Better look at this mornings skew-T though :-) Edited by Greenday

Posted

I looked at the skew-t for Devon and it did seem to indicate low level cloud for the morning but clearing during the afternoon retaining moisture and low LCL as the dewpoint and temps are still reasonably close and for what I learnt last night seems to be the lower the LCL the less of a trigger needed. Better look at this mornings skew-T though :-)

Yes, I dont understand skew-t very well but the chart looks a bit crazy so I suppose that means unstable?

What do these suggest?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted

Yes, I dont understand skew-t very well but the chart looks a bit crazy so I suppose that means unstable?

What do these suggest?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Devon had a downgrade but you in good position.

Posted

What do these suggest?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Thursday 29th May 2014

FROM THE MET OFFICE!

YELLOW WARNING of RAIN for south Wales, southwest England and central southern England. Scattered heavy and locally thundery downpours are likely to develop across parts of southern England, the south Midlands and southeast Wales this afternoon, only slowly easing this evening. The public should be aware of the risk of surface water flooding.

Valid Thursday 29th May 1400 until 2200.

I wonder if they will be right this time!

Posted

I hope so. Fingers crossed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Not much showing on radar at the moment ,but this afternoon especially later could see some storms being set off but a bit hit and miss ,best of luck if you get one ,dont hug it too much send it this way ,cheers all .

Posted

Not much showing on radar at the moment ,but this afternoon especially later could see some storms being set off but a bit hit and miss ,best of luck if you get one ,dont hug it too much send it this way ,cheers all .

Most of it is hit and miss and I probably won't get anything knowing my luck.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Bit of convection happening over the Dorset coast now.

Posted

Some really nice Weymouth webcams:

https://www.dorsetforyou.com/weymouth-webcams

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

The clouds a pretty ominous here, a definite thundery feel to it, spitting with rain too, just as the windows cleaner turns up. :laugh:

Just up from Bournemouth.. http://www.urbanreef.com/surf-reef-webcam.html

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 2