Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What's your favourite and least favourite season?

What is your favourite and least favourite season?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite season?

2. 2. What is your LEAST favourite season?

Posted

Yeah, but most Autumns are nowhere near that pleasant.

A lot of seasons don't conform to what is expected of them not just autumn.Infact exactly what is the expectation of autumn? Is it gales and rain or Keats' season of mists and mellow fruitfulness?
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Difficult to order really as it depends on types of weather, ie Cold and snowy winters would put it potentially in first place but wet mild ones like 2013/14 would put it last.

Likewise hot dry summers could be in first place whereas cold wet ones not. I prefer Springs and Autumns that switch over quickly for example a warm sunny early autumn switching to cold and frosty for the second half.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Every year im enjoying Summer more and more and disliking Winter as such too. Really only like Winter if there is lots of snpw. Dont mind a few dark nights in the festive run up to Christmas. Otherwise its just an unsocialable, annoying time of the year. I love getting out and about so much more freely at this time of year. Just had a beach BBQ tonight. Couldnt ask for anything better on a warm, summers evening and its still light at 10pm. :)

I've found that my previous love of extremes (cold winter, hot summer) has been replaced by a love for a cold winter then dry, sunny spring.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty

Hi, my least favourite season is summer. Not happy with intensely hot weather at all, don't mind early morning warmth but by afternoon if the sun is blaring down on me constantly I can get pretty damn miserable. Like it to go rainy and thundery late afternoon in the summer so it waters my garden rather than me fighting with the hosepipe. If we've had a hot dry summer I always feel the gardens start to go tatty halfway through August. I also find the light nights and light early mornings can be difficult with sleeping. Love cold snowy winters, 2010 was beautiful especially when the snow had just fallen......the peace and quiet it seemed to create was wonderful. The top of my garden and wood beyond looked like a scene from Narnia, really pretty. Don't mind autumn so long as it is dry so that when the leaves fall they are bright and crispy when you walk through them. Trying to clear the leaves up when its a sodden autumn is horrible. Spring is pretty with all the bulbs, plants and trees bursting into life.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Assuming the seasons do what they are supposed to:

1. Summer

2. Spring/Autumn

3. Winter

Having said that if winter has epic snowfalls, then that beats spring and summer.

There isn't really a season I dislike other than when you get days and days of cold, dry, greyness.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunshine and thunderstorms. Mild in winter.

I think autumn is underrated. A late season heatwave, an early season snowfall, first frost of the season, dewy mornings, sunshine catching trees whose leaves are changing colour.

... but most of the same things can be said about Spring. The possibility of a March snowfall, which is actually much more likely than a November snowfall and an early heat wave in April or May. Frosty and dewy mornings can occur in just the same way as they do in Autumn. Furthermore, I just think the atmosphere in Spring is a million times more pleasureable than Autumn - the increasing daylight, the increasing strength of the Sun and nature bursting into life, rather than dying and rotting which is what you see in Autumn.

Edited by ScottRichards10

Posted

.., rather than dying and rotting which is what you see in Autumn.

I like 'dying and rotting' - the darkside,if you will.  Or.... you could see it as 'fruition and maturity'. Whatever, spring is bloody awful. Glad winter is winning the vote so far - summer ain't as popular as it's made out to be, although in truth I couldn't care less if I was the only one.

• Like 2

Posted

I like 'dying and rotting' - the darkside,if you will.  Or.... you could see it as 'fruition and maturity'. Whatever, spring is bloody awful. Glad winter is winning the vote so far - summer ain't as popular as it's made out to be, although in truth I couldn't care less if I was the only one.

Yes, fruitation and maturity... and then everything dies and decays.

• Like 1

Posted

Yes, fruitation and maturity... and then everything dies and decays.

Tis all part of the cycle.... 'in the midst of life we are in death' or however the quote goes. See it as paving the way for all the new stuff in spring. Without autumn there'd be no spring, and vice versa. Ain't it great how nature caters for all tastes!

• Like 3

Posted

Tis all part of the cycle.... 'in the midst of life we are in death' or however the quote goes. See it as paving the way for all the new stuff in spring. Without autumn there'd be no spring, and vice versa. Ain't it great how nature caters for all tastes!

Well I suppose that's one thing that I do have to thank Autumn for, but that's the only thing! :)

I know I'm going slightly off topic here, but Tenerife is actually known as "The Land of Eternal Spring". So you could move there if Spring was the one season you wished would stick around, and there would be no need for Autumn... just like there's always Iceland for those that want eternal Autumn and Winter and the tropics for those who want eternal Summer.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I hadn't come across Tenerife being referred to as the "land of eternal spring" before but a quick internet search reveals that it is indeed a common title.   I wouldn't call their summers very spring-like though, with hardly a drop of rain throughout a typical June-August and mean maxima of 27-29C.

I've sometimes seen Quito in Ecuador referred to as the "land of eternal spring" and I think that description is nearer the mark for Quito, where thanks to being very high up and near the equator, mean maximum temperatures are typically within the range of 18-21C all year around with average minima close to 10C, and an average year has near 1000mm of rain and 2000 hours of sunshine, though there is still some seasonal variation due to the dry season in June-September.  But even here, it could be argued that those conditions are more like summer than spring.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

I know this thread has been dead for a while, but as of 24 July 2014, the scores are, out of 57 casted votes:

Spring: -6 (4 favourite, 10 least favourite)

Summer: +4 (19 favourite, 15 least favourite)

Autumn: -16 (5 favourite, 21 least favourite)

Winter: +18 (29 favourite, 11 least favourite)

So winter is currently Netweather's favourite season, and autumn is our least favourite.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Decided to give my favourite season to summer, though it's a close call with winter. Frankly hot sunny summers and cold, frosty and snowy winters are hard to beat. I also think there is a lot of joy to be had in Spring with wildlife coming to the fore. 

Autumn is just bad in virtually every way, well maybe the leaves are nice, but with the climatic norm being a lot of wet and windy weather as well as increasing darkness then it is the clear winner of the worst season for me.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

I know this thread has been dead for a while, but as of 24 July 2014, the scores are, out of 57 casted votes:

Spring: -6 (4 favourite, 10 least favourite)

Summer: +4 (19 favourite, 15 least favourite)

Autumn: -16 (5 favourite, 21 least favourite)

Winter: +18 (29 favourite, 11 least favourite)

So winter is currently Netweather's favourite season, and autumn is our least favourite.

no surprise there with winter being the favourite...trouble is a UK winter is pretty shabby and a poor excuse for a winter season really

Posted

no surprise there with winter being the favourite...trouble is a UK winter is pretty shabby and a poor excuse for a winter season really

Pretty much. If we had proper winters then I would love them, but the mild, miserable Atlantic junk that we get is horrendous. At least, even in the worst summers, you're guarenteed to get a week of nice weather.

I have to say, I'm quite suprised about spring though. I thought quite a few people would vote for it. I think it's a beautiful season, personally. I'd probably give summer 55% of my vote and spring 45%.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

I like winter, obviously for the snow scenes in the mountains and ski-ing. Spring, I least like because all the snow becomes mushy and melts away to leave a barren landscape. Autumn, I like the colours of the vegetation and mellow warmth of the lowering sun.

Posted

Favourite is Summer and Winter really.

If I could I would live in a country with 30Degree summers, with thunderstorms most nights. Then a quick switch to cold very heavy snowy winters for a few months. Perfect :)

I hate the boring inbetween!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Favourite is Summer and Winter really.

If I could I would live in a country with 30Degree summers, with thunderstorms most nights. Then a quick switch to cold very heavy snowy winters for a few months. Perfect :)

I hate the boring inbetween!!

Move to Alberta its exactly as you describe..apart from winters last for 6 months

Posted

Move to Alberta its exactly as you describe..apart from winters last for 6 months

I thought it was! I always say I think my ideal climate is Canada.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

I voted winter least favourite because even though i love extreme cold and snow it's very very VERY rare here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Pretty much. If we had proper winters then I would love them, but the mild, miserable Atlantic junk that we get is horrendous. At least, even in the worst summers, you're guarenteed to get a week of nice weather.

I have to say, I'm quite suprised about spring though. I thought quite a few people would vote for it. I think it's a beautiful season, personally. I'd probably give summer 55% of my vote and spring 45%.

Spring can be a lovely season with the lenghening days, being able to get outside a lot more and the smells and sights of nature. Theres a month long spell usually coinciding with May when the vegetation is so lush and fragrant. Its a really lovely time of year.

• Like 1

Posted

My favourite season is a toss up between spring and summer- perhaps with summer just edging it due to the potential for higher temperatures. Winter, is without doubt, my least favourite season for the sheer dullness, darkness and lack of vegetation and life.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Only on here would winter be favourite! 

Since most of winter in the UK is on average around 3-6c with westerly dampness (or easterly drizzle), next to no daylight, no garden to work on and everything is inside based I struggle to find that something to look forward to...

Anyway back out to enjoy the good season!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Can I give each season 25% please, as you take from each what you want and leave the rest, there is always a good and a bad side, all things being equal.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Only on here would winter be favourite! 

Since most of winter in the UK is on average around 3-6c with westerly dampness (or easterly drizzle), next to no daylight, no garden to work on and everything is inside based I struggle to find that something to look forward to...

Anyway back out to enjoy the good season!

Winter in the UK barely qualifies as a winter with its pathetic average highs ranging from 5 to 9C. A crock of sh*te. Not worthy of the word 'winter'. Not even worth getting excited about.

This is what a real winter looks like:

Posted Image

This is what winter in the UK looks like:

Posted Image

Edited by cheese
  • Like 4