Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 31/05/14 onwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

ECM mean showing the high pressure is going to stick around for a while yet. Wind directions looks to be north/northwest round the top of the high so the best temperatures are to be found along the south coast. Where winds veer more northwest instead of north thats when eastern parts would see temperatures recover.

GEM ends on a stunning note with high pressure anchored over the UK similar to July 2013.

Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Euro and Gfs ops both pull the high west.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

One thing I've noticed is the consistency of the GFS over the past couple of days to break down the weather on the 23rd

Posted Image

Increasing influence from Scandi troughing looks the form horse at present IMO between days 10-14.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted

Indeed, the GFS and Euro do seem keen to keep going on the retrogression.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Im a little sceptical aboutthe GFS interpretation and ECMs intepretation of pulling the high westwards, it's not really logical, and rarely happens anyway.. moreover, towards the GFS runs end, it has to develop cold air to reinforce the northerlies effects.. in June you are not going to simply develop cold air at will, at mid-lattitudes.. I suspect the models have once again progged the situation too far west, and eventually we will see corrections eastward, in my opinion.

Edited by SP1986
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

One thing I've noticed is the consistency of the GFS over the past couple of days to break down the weather on the 23rd

Posted Image

Increasing influence from Scandi troughing looks the form horse at present IMO between days 10-14.

Fairly significant time away and something that hasn't been in range of the models too long. If over the last few days alone have seen the high become more influential then charts at 10 or so days away are going to probably change too. Nonetheless, it will be interesting to see how

Long this high has a holiday over the Uk. :)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

ECM ensemble mean has pushed the pattern quite a ways East compared to a few days ago with high pressure being much more influential for the UK.

3 days ago +240 hrs..Posted ImageEDM1-240.gif  today 168 hrs..Posted ImageEDM1-168.gif

GEFS mean looks fairly consistent using the same comparison.

Posted Imagegens-21-1-240 (1).pngPosted Imagegfs.png

This shows how certain models continue to show a bias towards this solution. Happened during the July spell last year as well.

To the two posts below, well I must applaud you for making me chuckle, but seriously? Given the atrocious verification record of that pattern, is there any reasonable chance of that GFS FI happening? Oh yeah and this mornings GFS

Posted Image

Posted Image

No northerly, not exactly consistent.

Edit - GFS day 10 mean

Posted Image

High pressure still dominant

So the rest of the models, GFS has the high ebbing east and west as low pressure systems pass overhead, the flow remaining from the north for most of the time so warm and bright in the west and cooler and cloudier in the east. GEM, yep it's at it again and tries to pull a proper northerly for week 2. UKMO is interesting as it wants to place the high directly over the UK and cuts off the flow from the north sea. So bright and warm everywhere with afternoon sea breezes

Posted Image

to me it still looks like the high will stick around for a fair amount of time. This ties in with the ensembles which keep pressure high near the UK to day 10 at least, and also the metoffice forecasts. As per usual I think a more likely breakdown solution will come from the west as either the high will flatten allowing a front to push down from the north west or the high will push east and allow a classic thundery breakdown.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 9

Posted

This trough next to Iberia could have an interesting effect on our weather:

Posted Image

Every ensemble member has this trough in more or less the same place by T192. If it can move a bit closer to us, or things reshape a little, it could eventually act as a giant heat hoover, perhaps as early as next weekend. Some ens members show this kind of idea. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

This trough next to Iberia could have an interesting effect on our weather:

Posted Image

Every ensemble member has this trough in more or less the same place by T192. If it can move a bit closer to us, or things reshape a little, it could eventually act as a giant heat hoover, perhaps as early as next weekend. Some ens members show this kind of idea. 

Interesting spot, that cut off low could be crucial. But it all depends on the placement of our high. If the high is far enough east (say similar to the UKMO at day 6), then you could quite easily see the heat coming round the western flank of the low and surge northwards and develop a Euro/Scandi ridge as our high gets dragged further east. If the high ends up further west however, you would end up with the ECM which holds the heat over the continent whilst we keep the status quo.

Nothing in the output that suggests a change to much cooler weather countrywide this morning.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted

The Gfs T384 whilst only providing it's usual 'comic value' does remind us that a TD could easily come Into the Atlantic basin at this time of year and upset the 'status quo'

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes, The GFS is showing settled warm/very warm conditions through-out it's run with High Pressure bang over the UK for the best part of this Month, With only the last few frames showing some sorts of weak breakdown off the Atlantic out in FI.

ECMWF also shows a settled run through-out..

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted

Rather varying outputs from most models over the last few days including the anomaly outputs. This is almost always a signal that the upper air pattern is not really clearly defined.

Overall the idea has gained ground of a cut off upper low beneath an upper ridge (both with their relevant

-/+ve anomalies) for the UK and close by has gained more probability in the past 2-3 days. The actual flow is still not clear leaving the surface flow even more unclear. Will the ridge dominate or will the trough?cut off low be dominant, how warm will it be.

An interesting few days as the weather decides what it will do. It may well be into mid next week before this issue is resolved.

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The current MJO forecasts for week 1 show phase 4: post-14819-0-28514900-1402646538_thumb.gpost-14819-0-34015200-1402646546_thumb.g

Giving a composite: post-14819-0-64525300-1402646562_thumb.g

In line with the current output for higher heights west based of the UK. The GEFS in week 2 keep us in this phase but weaken the indices. The GEFS show this in FI with around 40% trying to disrupt the HP to our locale. 

JMA update for week 2: post-14819-0-57766400-1402646919_thumb.j

They are hinting at lower heights based in Scandi extending SW towards the UK.

By week 3-4 the UK has lost the higher pressure: post-14819-0-72008700-1402646968_thumb.p

This ties in with phase 5 composite for July: post-14819-0-57249100-1402647074_thumb.g

In the shorter term the upcoming pressure rise has settled in a cooler scenario for the SE/E so that Sunday-Tuesday settled but below average temps before they rise to average to above for the second half of next week. A corker today to look forward to.

After D10 I suspect things may change but more runs needed to be confident of that.

Edited by i'm dreaming of...
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

UKMO continues to show high pressure dominating this morning

The ECM ens at day 10 (23rd) shows high pressure remaining close by

Posted Image

Similar story from the GFS ens at day 10 (23rd) and beyond

• Like 4

Posted

Ensemble means still not particularly keen to retrogress the high to the NW.

ECM day 10:
Posted Image

GEFS day 10: 

Posted Image

GEFS Day 15:
Posted Image

Edit: I see Summer Sun just covered this

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 2

Posted

Operationals all keep the high west of the UK to varying degrees with the Gem and GFS6z operational more bullish.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Operationals all keep the high west of the UK to varying degrees with the Gem and GFS6z operational more bullish.

Posted Image

Yes the 6z brings the breakdown further forward-now around the 21st as can be seen from that chart above. The pattern going forward looks messy but the MJO composites hardly inspire confidence in an extended warm and settled spell, regardless of what the day 10 ensemble means show at present.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

i dont care... both the ecm and gfs 06z show some sort of possible breakdown later next week but they both show a week of fine settled dry weather becoming hot by wednesday with some high uppers. ill bank that! (where is frosty?)

i don't see any high uppers next Wednesday...dry with average temps certainly doesn't look hot to me.

• Like 3

Posted

Despite pulling the high west a bit most operationals I've seen in recent days do not bring any below average uppers into the south of the UK, and the GFS 06z is the same, keeping maxima in the low 20's for the southern half of the UK even when the northerly drift is present in FI, before things break down from the west instead (coincidentally with lower uppers for the south).

Not before a couple very warm days on the 06z at any rate:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I thought the ensemble means were more reliable than operationals at these time frames though? Seems we are told to use them and disregard operational runs at times, but for a few it's now the other way round and the ensemble means are largely ignored?

The ensemble means are quite clear about lower heights to the NW around Greenland too, for now I will be consistent and continue to pay attention to them and not get too hung up on the detail of operational runs beyond a week or so.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Despite pulling the high west a bit most operationals I've seen in recent days do not bring any below average uppers into the south of the UK, and the GFS 06z is the same, keeping maxima in the low 20's for the southern half of the UK even when the northerly drift is present in FI, before things break down from the west instead (coincidentally with lower uppers for the south).

Not before a couple very warm days on the 06z at any rate:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I thought the ensemble means were more reliable than operationals at these time frames though? Seems we are told to use them and disregard operational runs at times, but for a few it's now the other way round and the ensemble means are largely ignored?

The ensemble means are quite clear about lower heights to the NW around Greenland too, for now I will be consistent and continue to pay attention to them and not get too hung up on the detail of operational runs beyond a week or so.

Friday looks like a belter!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Yes relatively cool in the SE for Sunday-Tuesday next week before temps recover to average Wednesday, before another decent Thursday/Friday. 

ECMpost-14819-0-16802300-1402663632_thumb.gpost-14819-0-58792000-1402661584_thumb.g

GFS (as above) also similar. On recent runs the GEFS are trending to cut off the feed to the upper high over the UK; mostly this is only temporary, as a ridge is restored, but this appears to be where there is divergence on the GFS suites:

Mean: post-14819-0-73782300-1402662255_thumb.p  Pressure: post-14819-0-39699700-1402662207_thumb.p

Though some members don't cut the feed. So by D7 a multiple of possible outcomes: T168 ensembles

GEM looking more realistic than ECM in how the cut off Iberian/Azores upper low is dealt with. ECM keeps it as a feature even out to D10:

post-14819-0-48322300-1402662762_thumb.g

Whilst GEM, like GFS sucks it back into the main upper flow as the UK upper ridge weakens: post-14819-0-10268500-1402662906_thumb.p

Its a peculiarity of how ECM deals with high pressure cells, its NH bias  for heights remains well into the positive: post-14819-0-46571300-1402663098_thumb.p

This always dampens my confidence in ECM with regard to a UK HP scenario, so maybe currently the GFS is the best model to look for developments in week 2.  Beijing for the last 10 days of the month (anomaly) also similar to JMA, with pressure falling in our region:

post-14819-0-73340400-1402662460_thumb.g  post-14819-0-12410900-1402662521_thumb.p

No real confidence for surface conditions after D6 IMO.

Edited by i'm dreaming of...
  • Like 4

Posted

No real confidence for surface conditions after D6 IMO.

and i was thinking quite differently - i see a possible temporary respite from high slp and heights before the ridge builds back in through week 2.

• Like 2