Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

New Zealand Weather

Posted
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand

The June just gone was one of the warmest on record for the upper North Island.

One reliable weather station in Grey Lynn, Auckland recorded a mean max temperature of 17.4C and a mean low of 9.8C. Quite toasty for the first month of winter. Warmest day topped out at 20.2C (22/06).

http://greylynnweather.net/climatedataout62020.html

Auckland Aero clocked a mean high of 16.7C for the month (+1.5C above average).

Last weekend also saw a pretty significant ‘outbreak’ of tornados. I noted five over the two days reported in the area between Whangarei down to the Bay of Plenty (3 of which were in/around Auckland).

• Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
Posted

So, New Zealand is currently experiencing a weather bomb.

Seriously, this thing is a decidedly strong, messy system, and is forecast to converge into one single center spiralling out about 7 long fronts and three troughs.

1086277614_Screenshot2020-09-26at8_57_33PM.thumb.png.3bbbfebbf27fe05d6685a8590b6f53ad.png

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Many

Temperature records set today all over Canterbury for January:

Ashburton 39.3C

Timaru 37.9C

Amberley 39.4C (unofficial, but I can attest to its accuracy any time I left the office!)

Christchurch 37.1C

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Many

Full list of records borrowed from weatherforum.nz:

39.3 .. Ashburton Aero - NZ's 2nd-highest ever Jan temp (records from 1928)
38.0 .. Akaroa - highest all-time temp (records from 1978)
37.9 .. Cheviot - highest all-time temp (records from 1983)
37.9 .. Timaru - 2nd-highest Jan temp (records from 1906)
37.5 .. Timaru Aero - highest Jan temp (records from 1962)
37.4 .. Waipara - highest Jan temp, and 2nd-highest all-time temp (records from 1973)
37.1 .. Christchurch Aero - highest Jan temp, and 2nd-highest all-time temp (records from 1954)
36.9 .. Cooptown, Banks Peninsula (records from 2017)
36.8 .. Hanmer Forest - 2nd highest Jan temp, and 3rd highest all-time temp (records from 1906)

Full thread 

Edited by Chris W
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
Posted

It's not generally realised New Zealand gets its share of tornadoes:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/how-a-tornado-brought-south-aucklands-papatoetoe-community-together/Y2XKYNPFWVXSFARSDAEOL7QW7I/

Almost a year to the day after another tornado tore through East Tamaki, also in Auckland.

It's winter down there and a brief S'ly is approaching:

image.thumb.png.c7424f3174b3bede634fb7f6a763c2f8.png

The LP centre is well to the south but the cold front moves NE across New Zealand bringing snowfall to higher levels on South Island. 

Not much sign of anything cold after that with a large HP moving in from the Tasman and intensifying to the east of North Island so benign conditions for the next 7-10 days. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

https://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/west-coast/300359899/welfare-centre-full-dozens-of-residents-forced-from-homes-as-heavy-rain-flooding-hits-west-coast-town

Severe flooding affecting the west coast of the South Island - some incredible amounts forecast for the mountains (up to 350mm). 

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/weather-news/125767566/metservice-issues-red-warning-as-heavy-rain-expected-on-parts-of-the-west-coast?rm=a

A red warning issued by the NZ Met Service for this rainfall.

It looks like a form of orographic rainfall with a constant stream from the North-West (over the Tasman Sea) battering the same part of the South Island west coast. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

New Zealand getting a real taste of winter:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/weather-news/126005400/heavy-snow-expected-as-new-zealand-hit-by-winter-freeze

image.thumb.png.62ec85d63089b098f2f25193239d6b76.png

An unusually strong cold blast with LP developing just off the East Cape drawing up those cold Southerlies (note the 850s). Snow likely for higher elevations on the North Island as well overnight and into tomorrow (UK).

Another cold push from the SW next weekend:

image.thumb.png.1ab0a78d62654d37f7ea9f337ee3c4f2.png

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
Posted

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/weather-news/127759398/cyclone-dovi-power-cuts-in-northland-auckland-wellington--could-last-all-day

Much of New Zealand being affected by ex-Cyclone Dovi as it moves south - not the first of the season.

It's been a very disappointing summer so far for much of New Zealand with a lot of rain especially for North Island though with HP building over the Tasman Sea it looks as though more traditional summer fare will be on offer just as the school year starts. 

• 9 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Although I've never been there, I've long been interested in the New Zealand climate, with its variability and large regional differences despite being a pair of small islands, and I occasionally take a peek to see how the weather is going over there.  I also wasn't aware that Crimsone (who I have been involved in many good discussions with in the past) had moved there.

I saw this video which indicated that they've recently been having a very active spell of weather with spells of strong westerlies and some thunderstorms mainly for western areas.  I was impressed also by the level of detail that it goes into.

Screenshot-2022-11-24-at-9.15.19-AM-1024
WWW.WEATHERWATCH.CO.NZ

WeatherWatch.co.nz: New Zealand's Weather Data & Alerts Authority
  • Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

Although I've never been there, I've long been interested in the New Zealand climate, with its variability and large regional differences despite being a pair of small islands, and I occasionally take a peek to see how the weather is going over there.  I also wasn't aware that Crimsone (who I have been involved in many good discussions with in the past) had moved there.

I saw this video which indicated that they've recently been having a very active spell of weather with spells of strong westerlies and some thunderstorms mainly for western areas.  I was impressed also by the level of detail that it goes into.

Screenshot-2022-11-24-at-9.15.19-AM-1024
WWW.WEATHERWATCH.CO.NZ

WeatherWatch.co.nz: New Zealand's Weather Data & Alerts Authority

Weather forecasts have always been a big thing in NZ, at least they were in my family! Kiwi's love the outdoors especially sailing/boating and tramping around the hills and mountains. 

I remember getting up for breakfast my Dad, without fail, would always be there with his cup of tea listening to the NZ shipping forecast on RadioNZ.....

You might recognise Dan who used to forecast in the UK many years ago.

And then there is the  farming community.....

4LKFR6B_waikato_2_jpg
WWW.RNZ.CO.NZ

Bay of Plenty kiwifruit growers are counting their losses this week after a frost last Friday caused irreparable damage. Central Otago sheep farmers are nearing the end of shearing and lambing is in full swing.

• Like 3

Posted

I am in New Zealand now and pleasantly surprised to see Dan Corbet presenting the weather! 

I am in Gisborne for a couple of weeks and can't fail to notice the rain shadow effect for the eastern side of the north island while the west and sometimes the northern side of the island gets lots of heavy rain.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Posted

Mrs Stodge's mother reports from Hawke's Bay it's been a very wet summer so far especially for the North Island.

It seems HP has become blocked to the east and south east and that's allowing sub-tropical air and LP to drop south from the tropics down over North Island in particular while the South has generally enjoyed fine weather.

Illustrated by the current GFS chart with an E'ly or ENE'ly bringing humid and wet conditions to the North Island.

It's the season for tropical cyclones to head south and affect the Bay of Plenty or clip the east coast near Gisborne.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Map, Atlas, Diagram

• Like 1

Posted

The very wet summer in NZ continues with the arrival of ex-Cyclone Hale:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/weather-news/300780108/live-huge-slip-trees-down-creeks-overflowing-as-cyclone-hale-hits-great-barrier-island

In the video at the very end a bit of our old mate, Dan Corbett, in more serious mode than usual.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Map

The GFS 12Z OP has the storm over North Island. In wind terms, nothing unusual but the ex-Cyclone, which formed over New Caledonia, moved first south east then is turning sharply south to be over Auckland by Tuesday morning (Local) before moving SE to be out over Hawkes Bay by the end of the day. Needless to say, very large rainfall totals expected - 120-150mm widely and up to 300mm in some areas and this on ground saturated from a deluge last week. These tropical storms can have +20 850 air embedded within them so it's little surprise the rainfall totals are huge.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

"Cyclone Hale lies just east of the upper North Island and should move across the North Island tonight and during Wednesday. The cyclone is expected to bring further heavy rain and gales to many North Island areas and northern South Island, and Watches and Warnings remain in force. This is a significant adverse weather event with widespread effects.

Cyclone Hale moves away to the east on Thursday" MetService

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Shocking NZ summer continues with torrential rainfall leading to major flooding around Auckland.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Yes, the North Island continues to see excessive rain. Here in Napier (east coast) it has been raining non-stop for the last 24 hours but there is no flooding thankfully.

The summer hasn't been wet everywhere. The south in particular has been mostly dry. I was in Canterbury region from early December till mid January and it rained only 3 times and mostly light. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

130mm in 2 hours is some serious rainfall...

Could contain: Water, Bus, Vehicle, Transportation, Rain, Car, Outdoors

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
On 24/11/2022 at 13:58, Kiwi said:

Weather forecasts have always been a big thing in NZ, at least they were in my family! Kiwi's love the outdoors especially sailing/boating and tramping around the hills and mountains. 

I remember getting up for breakfast my Dad, without fail, would always be there with his cup of tea listening to the NZ shipping forecast on RadioNZ.....

You might recognise Dan who used to forecast in the UK many years ago.

And then there is the  farming community.....

4LKFR6B_waikato_2_jpg
WWW.RNZ.CO.NZ

Bay of Plenty kiwifruit growers are counting their losses this week after a frost last Friday caused irreparable damage. Central Otago sheep farmers are nearing the end of shearing and lambing is in full swing.

Could never stick that Dan Corbett.  Worst weather foreaster ever IMHO . Glad he does forecasting in New Zealand ,poor old Noel Edmunds will have to put up with him😂😂😂😂

Posted

More rain and flooding forecast "Expect 120 to 170 mm of rain in the north and east, with lesser amounts in the west. However, localised areas may receive 170 to 270 mm" MetService

Could contain: Land, Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Sea, Water, Vegetation, Rainforest, Shoreline, Dynamite

Edited by Jo Farrow
add link about rainfall %
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Why has it rained so much this month in New Zealand? Chris Fawkes explains.

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like my sisters in Whangarei (Northland) and Auckland are going to be getting very wet.....again! Some areas might get up to 220mm of rain.

Heavy Rain Warning - Red

Period: 

19hrs from 9am Tue, 31 Jan - 4am Wed, 1 Feb

Area: 

Northland

Forecast: 

Expect 100 to 140 mm of rain in the north and east, with lesser amounts in the west. However, localised areas may receive 140 to 220 mm. Peak rates of 10 to 20 mm/h, mainly in the north and east, but localised areas may see 25 to 40 mm/h, or possibly more. Thunderstorms are also possible, and a Severe Thunderstorm Watch is also in force.

Edited by Kiwi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

50 to 150mm of rain, so 2 to 6" rain forecast Tuesday into Wednesday on already saturated parts of the North Island. Red warning for Auckland and ongoing issues in the region. 

AdobeNZsummerflood.jpg
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

Auckland airport recorded nearly 10

Could contain: Plot, Land, Outdoors, Nature, Map, Sea, Water, Rainforest, Vegetation, Smoke Pipe

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, Nature

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Advertisement, Poster

• Like 1

Posted

The line of sub-tropical N'lies bringing active troughs and moisture has shifted slightly west and is now impacting the west coast of the South Island with very large rainfall figures for Westland and Fjordland over the weekend (which is a long weekend in NZ with Waitangi Day early next week).

However, a secondary LP passing close to the tip of South Island to introduce a complete change to cooler SW'lies during next week. 

GFS predicts a new tropical storm will form just to the south of New Caledonia and head SE but it looks currently as though it will pass to the north of New Zealand but there may be some impacts in terms of rain or showers.

Posted

GFS has the centre over the Bay of Plenty for 36 hours - Cyclone Gabrielle could bring more very heavy rain to the Coromandel with up to 300mm (basically a foot) of rain.

The storm is then due to impact Hawkes Bay,

1675967457232.jpg
WWW.STUFF.CO.NZ

The cyclone is forecast to hit Northland before rolling into Auckland and "dropping down" to Hawke's Bay - with bad weather set to begin from Sunday.

• Like 2