Second Language

My daughter spent 2 years in japan doing accountancy stuff, she's quite good at speaking their lingo !!!....

Best way to learn is to use it and be a part of it, when younger I would have liked to have gone there myself but could never make it happen.

• Like 1

French I did for about 8 years, haven't really used it for a while but haven't forgotten it either.

Spanish I can read without much trouble, can't speak it so well but can manage enough to get around. I can read the other Romance languages to varying degrees without really being able to speak them: they go from almost totally understandable (Catalan) to mostly able to work out (Portuguese and Italian) to about half the words recognisable (Romanian).

I did two years of German with a teacher who couldn't give a toss about half his class coming out with Ds and Es, I got a C but can only manage the most basic things. Still curse the useless runt today. I did a year of Old English in university which got me a lot further with the Germanic languages: Dutch and the Scandinavian languages I can often decipher as a result.

I really must actually learn Welsh properly instead of just knowing random words...

Best way to learn is to use it and be a part of it, when younger I would have liked to have gone there myself but could never make it happen.

I must admit I wish I'd visited her when she was there, but it it didn't happen , shame really !!....

Mandarin is on my "to do" list

It's a fascinating language to try and learn!  

In 2010, I taught English in China for 6 months and so picked up quite a bit without really going out of my way to learn it.  After that I was fascinated with the language and continued to teach myself back in England and speak to friends I made in China - they help me with learning it.  Been back twice since and made some big improvements!  It's amazing how much being in the country where the language is spoken helps!