Thunder?
Local
Radar
Pollen

Second Language

Jax

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Anyone have one or learning one?

On the news they did an article on Mandarin (China)

I have some basic French, German, Spanish, Turkish and Russian, bit more in the way of Japanese though.

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    Posted

I used to be quite fluent in French but it's rusty now and I never was very good at writing it correctly.It would come back if I visited again I expect.

Posted

Intermediate German, if that. Very difficult to transfer those skills to Schwyzerdütsch Swiss-German though, is/was purpose of maintaining second tongue as have relatives in Switz.

Posted

Spanish followed by Welsh.

I have some basic knowledge of quite a few other tongues too. I find languages and linguistics fascinating.

Posted

Rusty French. I find to my surprise, my grammar is still pretty good, but I seem to have lost the vocabulary & can't think of the name of lots of things! Knowing some French though gives you a helping hand in Spanish & Italian, particularly written. I usually find that you can make sense of enough key words to at least have an inkling what a written piece is about. I've been considering taking a formal more advanced French course now I'll have more time on my hands or maybe take the plunge & make a start on Spanish. I'd love to learn Welsh. I spent a lot of time delivering in deepest mid wales & got a grip of ll, ff, dd & the like & even learned about Ms changing to Fs & Ts to Ds & stuff. Love languages!

Posted

French to degree level for me, with German A-level, and a failed Italian O-level. I rarely speak or write in any of them, these days, though, but am OK at translating from them all and enjoy reading in French. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Latin. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Enough German to get by... Very little Dutch.... But local dialect is different... Does that count...!!!!!

Posted

My second language, which consists mainly of expletives, is often combined with my first one. Thought I was going to have to learn Eastern European languages at one point 'cos of all the bloody immigrant agency workers I had to deal with. Thankfully that stopped when I uttered the magic phrase 'health and safety'.

Posted

Dw i'n gallu dipyn bach o Gymraeg, Dygyes i Gymraeg yn ysgol ac mwy gyda gwaith yn y flwyddyn diwethaf.

It's all Greek to me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I can speak a bit of Swedish, and have some understanding of Spanish, but I couldn't hold an extended conversation in either. I remember doing French in school and finding it really boring, which is why I dropped it as a subject when I had the opportunity to do so - which is a shame, because France is probably my favourite country in the world and I would like to learn the language now. Unfortunately, I rarely follow through to the end with anything I start, and I would almost certainly get bored and stop.

I started learning Swedish because I like Sweden, and I wanted to start learning at least one foreign language (and it's related to English so is a little easier than French).. but Swedes only want to speak English with me, and not Swedish, whereas some French people go out of their way not to speak English, or pride themselves on how poorly they speak English (it's pretty bad in my experience).

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

I can speak basic french.  I can also speak and read a fair bit of mandarin; writing it is another matter though!

Mandarin is on my "to do" list

Posted

I'm fluent in Sumerian...

Tell us what's going on here then  :crazy: :

Some more extinct/ancient tongues:

Old English

Ancient Greek

Old Prussian

Proto-Indo-European (hyptothetical - ancestor of languages as diverse as English, Irish, Italian, Greek, Russian, Armenian, Farsi and Hindi)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ-Ru9djdmU (stupid link won't embed!)

Edited by AderynCoch
    • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Fluent in Spanish and French, proficient in Portuguese and Italian, and would like to learn German.

Posted

My French is finally at a level I can actually call fluent now! Which is a relief considering I'm moving to Belgium in a few months.

I did Spanish to GCSE level but four years later and I've forgotten most of it. My German fares better but it's not conversational yet.