Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / storm Discussion - 22nd May 2014 onwards

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Thank you Muffelchen I didn't think I was imagining rotation. I was looking at the SAT24 vissable radar playback up until it got too dark to see another frame, and that particular cell on satellite did show clockwise rotation with a small up draft at the rear of the cell protruding above the rest of the anvil which looked like an overshooting top. This is evident on the sat photo's if anyone has access to some higher resolution images I'd very much like to take a look at them.BTW: Nice piccy of the approaching shelf cloud  :clapping:

Thanks SnowJoke. I should have gone inside and got a better camera but I was playing with the kids and even they eventually stopped to watch the show: it was a spectacular cell and I had a chance to explain the structure to them. Not often you get such a good view in this country.

I have attached another file which is a close-up of the front of the shelf cloud as it approached. Here you can clearly see the condensation tendrils of the rising air beneath the shelf cloud. The kids were mesmerized with this and the youngest one asked me if we were going to have a Hurricane  :oops:

I told her no and nor were we going to have a tornado but she was obviously also taken in by rapid motion in the cloud base.

All good fun: more of the same tomorrow please.......

post-7346-0-69476100-1400880041_thumb.jp

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Some lively activity still happening to the SW of Luxembourg heading our way! Can only pray it keeps its sferics by the time it hits Kent/ East Anglia !

Posted

Finally got my thunderstorm a few good Cgs and pink flashes but just had a 3 hour power cut due to it, guess that's the price you sometimes have to pay :)

• Like 3

28th June 2012 were the best defined supercells that the UK has probably ever seen.

28th June 2012 were the best defined supercells that the UK has probably ever seen.

fair point , but they are rare , and rarely look like say an lp supercell , never seen a cotton candy twist on a uk storm :)..........don't know what happened there !!... Edited by Mokidugway
  • Like 1

Posted

OK I think I can lend some credence to Vlad's story and the shelf cloud in York. I had noticed the development in the clouds and heard my first thunder to the NW at 19:30 and the convection continued to back build towards the SE very rapidly and we had thunder from two separate storms from about 20:15: one was a new one that had  developed SE of the previous one and had skirted to my NW and the other developed to my SW and moved towards me. The movement was definitely to the right of the previous storms and the squall line that I have since seen on NW radar.

This storm was accompanied by a very impressive shelf cloud - one of the best I have ever seen and I was pointing it out to my daughters with whom I was playing frisbee. This shelf cloud was accompanied by very rapid vertical motion and associated rotors beneath it and there were frequent tendrils of condensation beneath it. These could, at a distance, easily be mistaken for suction vortices but they were not: they were  purely associated with the rapid upward motion of the saturated air beneath the shelf cloud. I have attached a piccie of the shelf cloud over Beverley but as it was taken with my mobile, it is not great. That said, it was a very impressive feature and stretched clear across a fair portion of the sky - as in a linear storm system.

However, that said, that does not mean that this storm was not rotating: it clearly was and the differential lateral motion was clear to see as there was not a lot of rain associated with it (I think it was dying by this stage as the lightning was becoming very sporadic and there had been constant thunder half an hour or so earlier). This showed that the rear of the storm was moving East whilst the front was moving West and you could watch the scud make its way down one side and back up the other in front of you.

So I can confirm what Mokidugway and SnowJoke have surmised and explain the observations of Vlad. I hope this helps and it certainly made up for the bust that was yesterday up here!

Muff

thanks Muffelchen for the explaination what it was. Yes it was very impressive.  Not completely nuts just a tad :crazy:  :D 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

Some lively activity still happening to the SW of Luxembourg heading our way! Can only pray it keeps its sferics by the time it hits Kent/ East Anglia !

Sadly I'd say don't hold your breath, as the effect of no insolation & the channel kicks in they'll likely die and turn into moderate rain. Hopefully this will clear late morning and allow things to warm up nicely, any storms that develop will be after the overnight rain clears feeding off the moist air at mid levels and any sbcape that builds, although I don't think any storms tomorrow that form will be on the same scale as Thursdays due to less sbcape and lower vorticity.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Was driving from Helmsley to York around 8 o clock this evening and had a great view of the approaching storm. Saw a very impressive CG strike quickly followed by numerous fire engines.

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/11234523.Lightning_strike_in_village_near_York/?ref=var_0

Posted

Great day storm wise in Morley Leeds the rain was insane at times

Just one rumble but the rain was impressive.

Very impressive was like been in Florida I was driving up Churwell and it was a River
  • Like 1

Posted

NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD SAY IT BUT I HEAR THUNDER.....

I was in the range I nearly started dancing with joy Snap shot earlier around 3pm

post-2845-0-19739400-1400881694_thumb.jp

Edited by Love Snow
  • Like 1

Posted

Another storm photo from York, from twitterpost-15772-0-42072300-1400882414_thumb.j

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Is tomorrow looking good for here?

I wouldn't say it is looking that good anywhere on GFS, but Euro 4, BBC and the UKMO break out quite widespread thundery showers across England and Wales behind the frontal rain band tomorrow, maybe more bias towards the western half so I would say you have as much chance as the rest of the southern half of the country, but then I'm no expert.

Having said that the GFS are liking chances more in the east on the 18z run... who knows  :cc_confused::unknw:

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

torrential rain here at the mo never seen rain like this since 2012 when we had that supercell that hit newcastle

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Sadly I'd say don't hold your breath, as the effect of no insolation & the channel kicks in they'll likely die and turn into moderate rain. Hopefully this will clear late morning and allow things to warm up nicely, any storms that develop will be after the overnight rain clears feeding off the moist air at mid levels and any sbcape that builds, although I don't think any storms tomorrow that form will be on the same scale as Thursdays due to less sbcape and lower vorticity.

Looking unlikely that it will maintain its thundery element to it by the time it reaches us, but as you say, tomorrow looks quite promising for a typical convective set up day, which will do me fine :D ! Meanwhile, check out lightningmaps.org or sat24.com that stuff very active still over NE France into Belgium!!

Posted

Looking unlikely that it will maintain its thundery element to it by the time it reaches us, but as you say, tomorrow looks quite promising for a typical convective set up day, which will do me fine :D !Meanwhile, check out lightningmaps.org or sat24.com that stuff very active still over NE France into Belgium!!

Its also being pushed towards SE UK as the Low moves into North Western France. With a short hop over the channel (Between Kent and France/Belgium) there is less sea for it to cover.

If I was in the SE/EA and Midlands, I'd watch this carefully over the next hour.

Edited by SnowMania

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Great live cam for the thunderstorm over NYC:

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/statueofliberty/?cam=liberty_hd

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Storm in York now, photo from twitter

Your twitter photo looks like something out of Independence Day!

Edited by lassie23

Posted

There are a few lightning strikes North East of London (Epping) Also a few over the Isle Of Wight at the moment, all coming from incoming band of rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and thunderstorms, snow in winter

Just got woken by very heavy rain. No thunder yet but very dark and stormy looking skies.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Certainly not looking good at all.

Edited by William Grimsley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

The BBC have bought out their thunder icon for London on Monday! Temps will be hitting 20c by then too? Will their forecast change to drizzle, come Monday morning?