Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / storm Discussion - 22nd May 2014 onwards

Liam J

Posted

Well to the north Yorkshire there are some storms nudging northwards, quite potent producing Thunder and Lightning :) Them rash of storms are capable of delivering the goods :good:

post-19153-0-87981700-1400872518_thumb.j

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

Storm in York now, photo from twitter

Holy CRAP! That is a nice shelf cloud, structure above looks like it may be super cellular, hope people get some more pictures, and some of the base of that beast...

Edited by SnowJoke
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

WOW !!!!......

Took the words out of my mouth! That looks beautiful!

• Like 1

Holy CRAP! That is a nice shelf cloud, structure above looks like it may be super cellular, hope people get some more pictures, and some of the base of that beast...

It's a lovely shelf cloud indeed. However it isn't supercellular, before everyone gets too excited. It's a squall line feature :)

supercells can develop on squall lines :).......

I know, my response was intended for SnowJoke :) Incidentally all the best Google images of squall lines do look to have a supercell storm in them :D The cell over York isn't showing any supercellular signs though.

Posted

It's a lovely shelf cloud indeed. However it isn't supercellular, before everyone gets too excited. It's a squall line feature :)

I mentioned super cellular upon looking at the precipitation radar, there appeared to be an odd area of rainfall at the back edge of the storm which spread out as though it was moving in the opposite direction to the main forward thrust of the storm, yes it's within a squall line feature, but some squall lines in the UK are known to have embedded storms with super cell characteristics, and a lot of super cells often have very large well defined shelf clouds on their outflow... We won't be able to tell unless there is some more photographic or video footage showing the base and inflow area to determine whether rotation was present.

Edited by SnowJoke
  • Like 1

I know, my response was intended for SnowJoke :) Incidentally all the best Google images of squall lines do look to have a supercell storm in them :D The cell over York isn't showing any supercellular signs though.

I do agree with you , but it does look impressive though :).......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Tomorrow looking similar in some ways to Thursday with an area of thundery rain (thus heavy rain with no thunder whatsoever) heading north and west with brighter skies and thundery showers following behind. CAPE values being shown by GFS and WRF are not as high as those on Thursday though so storms less severe or intense but considering I saw one flash of lightning it would not be too hard to beat my storm for intensity.

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 2

Posted

F4 or 5 tornado plowing through local cricket club right now, video to follow , oh, and light rain :)..!!!....

If that was true, could you imagine the captain saying  "Come on chaps, lets finish the over before we retire to the bar? :drinks:

• Like 1

Posted

Thank you Muffelchen I didn't think I was imagining rotation. I was looking at the SAT24 vissable radar playback up until it got too dark to see another frame, and that particular cell on satellite did show clockwise rotation with a small up draft at the rear of the cell protruding above the rest of the anvil which looked like an overshooting top. This is evident on the sat photo's if anyone has access to some higher resolution images I'd very much like to take a look at them.BTW: Nice piccy of the approaching shelf cloud  :clapping:

Edited by SnowJoke
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Tomorrow looking similar in some ways to Thursday with an area of thundery rain (thus heavy rain with no thunder whatsoever) heading north and west with brighter skies and thundery showers following behind. CAPE values being shown by GFS and WRF are not as high as those on Thursday though so storms less severe or intense but considering I saw one flash of lightning it would not be too hard to beat my storm for intensity.

Is tomorrow looking good for here?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

London had something like that back in April 2012, coming north to south during that spell of very wet and stormy weather. It was a beast. The thunder rocked half of London. I wonder if it was super cellular. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and stormy.

Grabbed this whilst out for strikes, not sure if this is associated with the leeds cell but did see left to right pulses sooo....nice to see some motion in the air for a change.

post-12197-0-80796000-1400879533_thumb.j

Edited by Raptor Raw
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Supercells are a difficult beast to identify in uk as are often much less well defined as their American cousins !!.....

28th June 2012 were the best defined supercells that the UK has probably ever seen.
  • Like 2