Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / storm Discussion - 22nd May 2014 onwards

Liam J

Posted

BrickFielder that 5th pic looks like the wind converges over here

Thats a 850hpa wind chart so it will not show surface convergence. I was thinking more about the nose of a low level jet.

The surface wind flow chart looks as follows.

Posted

Much cooler today here, skies do look threatening though - would be nice to have an overhead storm, even if only a few big rumbles and flashes. Good to see the convergence to E-SE of our location as that is around where showers will feed from into the NW of England.

Posted

Thats a 850hpa wind chart so it will not show surface convergence. I was thinking more about the nose of a low level jet.

http:////f1.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_images/tctc91_simplify/attachicon.giflow wind16.png

ah thanks. Getting some nice clouds here.  shipping forecast talking cyclonic winds, thunderstorms later in the humber.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

The sky is looking rather interesting here at the moment, fingers crossed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Ah yes, thought it was 28th July or some reason. Crikey 64k, ever more crazy than I thought. That will take some beating.

Not sure where the 23rd July 2013 came as that was a widespread thunderstorm day (if you count the entire 24 hours with it's several separate storm events) as were the 24th and 28th June 2005 which I believe had something impressive for lightning strikes... even those days are unlikely to have beaten the great thunderstorm of 28th June 2012 though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Sun shining here now, hopefully this should kick things off....

Posted

Posted Imagelow wind16.png

I must be where that convergence zone is over the pennines as i can see low level cloud moving nw and opposite its moving se... Lots of heavy showers today with hail but no thunder or lightening yet... Another heavy shower incoming from sheffield direction...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Not sure where the 23rd July 2013 came as that was a widespread thunderstorm day (if you count the entire 24 hours with it's several separate storm events) as were the 24th and 28th June 2005 which I believe had something impressive for lightning strikes... even those days are unlikely to have beaten the great thunderstorm of 28th June 2012 though.

Think 28th June 2005 had 60,000+ strikes, but if you add France in, it would easily top that ! 

Scary how its the 28th of June everytime eh !!

Yesterday was a cracker for my area, car alarms, house alarms and the lot were going off, flash flooding was causing madness on the roads, and I followed that storm up to Sleaford. Witnessed some amazing CG's and even saw a c-c crawler near Bourne! At one point it looked like a small MCS as it passed North of Peterborough. 

Amazing how many bog standard people take note of the storms though on Facebook etc! People were freaking out about it all over, and the same happened witht hat night storm on 23rd July last year too. guess thats how rare and memorable good storms have become through the storm drought of 2007-early 2012 apart from those supercells ;):D

Today looking not too bad, potential there for a few thundery showers.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Why is it so cold today? Currently 12C at Heathrow, only thing that will set off is my temper!! Had a brief shower here earlier, sky looks angry.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

As per normal just about to head out to collect LO from school and it looks like it's going to rain. And there is a cold strong breeze as well. Nothing like yesterday. It really is cooler today,really hate how after a storm day the next seems to be all yucky murk and cold wind. No thunder today.boo.

Posted

cloud coming in from east france over the channel meteox has it got lightening strikes.

meteox has next friday as possible crackerjack bit far off yet but worth monitoring

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

We've missed out on the severe weather but at least we've still got the heat at the moment!

Posted

Meanwhile in west yorks,still overcast,wet n very cool.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Been pretty grey here all day. Don't think I'll be seeing anything from approaching showers apart from rain.

Posted

Meanwhile in west yorks,still overcast,wet n very cool.

In Morley it's been torrential rain for the last 20 minutes sheets and sheets of rain Coming down will be some serious flash flooding from this

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well, wasn't Wednesday night a letdown!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

In Morley it's been torrential rain for the last 20 minutes sheets and sheets of rain Coming down will be some serious flash flooding from this

yep we have a nice new pool here in the garden on the Glen.....
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

A cell now developing between Exeter and Taunton now, lets see what the next few hours bring....

post-17320-0-56533300-1400855352_thumb.p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

yep we have a nice new pool here in the garden on the Glen.....

So you finally got a storm?

• Like 2