Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / storm Discussion - 22nd May 2014 onwards

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Can someone tell me, were yesterday's storms surface or elevated fuelled by a plume?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Ppn gaining on S Yorkshire now,can we have a storm for once :lazy:

btw,some good footage from earlier today peeps.

Edited by allseasons-si
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Ppn gaining on S Yorkshire now,can we have a storm for once :lazy: btw,some good footage from earlier today peeps.

no chance lol
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

Big crack of thunder in Denby with heavy rain!!!.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Had a torrential downpour here last night. I wasn't awake to see it. But, I did record it. Hopefully, today I will see more heavy and possibly thundery showers which could be interesting at the Devon County Show. Though, currently I am stuck under and MCS that is slowly moving S and it's not raining, here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Just one picture of the cell which passed just west of Bristol yesterday at 5:30ish.

post-18097-0-22688500-1400827490_thumb.j

Edited by Ben Sainsbury
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Spare a thought for those lucky/unlucky people around the world! Snowploughs where needed in Denver, to clear hail from a thunderstorm! :shok:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/27524085

Edited by lassie23

Posted

Hope brighter skies make it into west yorks today n set off some storms.Sick o this slate grey sky now into its 3rd day here,rant over lol.

Had a torrential downpour here last night. I wasn't awake to see it. But, I did record it. Hopefully, today I will see more heavy and possibly thundery showers which could be interesting at the Devon County Show. Though, currently I am stuck under and MCS that is slowly moving S and it's not raining, here.

You are not stuck under a MCS because if you were this forum would have 100s of people in it..  :rofl:

• Like 6

Posted

You are not stuck under a MCS because if you were this forum would have 100s of people in it..  :rofl:

It's a very old MCS. Look at the satellite.

Posted

It's a weather front William - have a read of Jo's update this morning for more info:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=news;storyid=5909;sess=

Yesterday saw over 6800 lightning strikes - pretty active but still behind Monday's 10k+

• Like 4

Posted

It's a weather front William - have a read of Jo's update this morning for more info:

Yesterday saw over 6800 lightning strikes - pretty active but still behind Monday's 10k+

Well, it's a very high cloud for a weather front.

Posted

It's a weather front William - have a read of Jo's update this morning for more info:http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=news;storyid=5909;sess= Yesterday saw over 6800 lightning strikes - pretty active but still behind Monday's 10k+

It would be interesting to see a map since last Monday with all the strikes since then. You will see a great big hole over much of Northern England.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

It's a weather front William - have a read of Jo's update this morning for more info:http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=news;storyid=5909;sess= Yesterday saw over 6800 lightning strikes - pretty active but still behind Monday's 10k+

See it says there were strikes over my location but I didn't see or hear a single one! Why would that be?

Posted

See it says there were strikes over my location but I didn't see or hear a single one! Why would that be?

You'd need to zoom the map in to see the detailed positions of the strikes really - it shows as over your location on the image, but once you zoom in you'd probably find it was a few miles away.

It would be interesting to see a map since last Monday with all the strikes since then. You will see a great big hole over much of Northern England.

Apart from a few isolated storms elsewhere, the bulk of the strikes have been through Wales on Monday and then the eastern side of England yesterday. So yep, not a great deal going on across most of northern England.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

A great day storm watching yesterday. The temps have dropped a lot though so can we have some warm sunshine back please? Ta

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

Apparently the lightning from the crack of thunder I heard at 1.30 am this morning hit a house in Belper.The owner has just been into my work to buy a new fuse box.Threatening skies here as I speak.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I cannot see where Estofex are seeing a 50% risk of lightning and tornado risk warranting a level 1 today. Maybe the models have changed overnight or something?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
THERE IS A RISK OF THUNDERSTORMS FORECAST

post-1052-0-82146000-1400836505_thumb.pn

Synopsis
Slow-moving upper low will continue to rotate across western Europe, a surface low will remain slow-moving across SW UK during Friday, a slow-moving wrap-around occlusion will lie across N England, W Wales and Cornwall with another occluded front across N/W EIRE and W Scotland. An unstable airmass across England and Wales will bring another day of heavy showers and thunderstorms.

... S ENGLAND, WALES, MIDLANDS and N ENGLAND ...

Cool mid-level temperatures and surface heating will produce steep low-mid level lapse rates across much of England and Wales today ... which will support the development of heavy showers and scattered thunderstorms later this morning and through the afternoon/early evening. With yesterday's strong southerly jet over eastern Britain now displaced further east, vertical and speed shear will be weaker today, with 0-6km 20-30knts at best. So storms will be less organised then they were yesterday and thus a risk of severe storms is unlikely. However, any storms may produce hail, gusty winds and large rainfall totals in a short space of time - which may lead to localised flooding.

Later this evening and overnight, a strengthening in the upper southerly flow across the near continent and SE UK may bring an increase of convective activity across SE England and E Anglia, as an area of heavy rain with embedded Cb bringing a risk of isolated TS drifts north out of the near continent.
Edited by Nick F
  • Like 4

Posted

Well, the storms missed central Leicester yesterday, they skirted by to the East....

Was there thunder in/around 4-8am this morning, and no queezy tummy today....?

Edited by Speedway Slider

Posted

And out of all those maybe 20 odd thousand lightning strikes this week..........we've had a grand total of 1 :rofl:  Still been a incredible week really

Posted

Think the low pressure system is a little East and south of where models forecast it to be this morning. It also looks as if there is some mid level dry air in front of a partial warm front stretching down into northern france.

Here are a few charts which caught my eye.

So a potential warm sector and triple point ?

I think cloud cover, poor surface temperatures and weak moisture flow might play a part today.

Key areas seem to be South Wales and bristol area and the Leeds to Manchester area.  Note that wind shear is better towards the north of England and I think Estofex is maybe looking at low level convergence. Just a hint of a trough in the warm sector could spark some storms this afternoon in southern western areas perhaps up into the midlands. Having said that I am not convinced the models have exactly nailed this and weak instability means storms are unlikely to be widespread.

Edited by BrickFielder
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

morning all, Hope some of you had some action last night  :wink:

dark clouds today and periods of sun and a breeze. Not been outside yet, but i'm guessing it will feel much cooler. Looks like we are building up for a shower. How boring. :nea: