Thunder?
Local
Radar
Pollen

Madrid matadors gored by bulls at festival launch - time for a ban?

Jax

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

The opening event of Madrid's bullfighting season had to be cancelled after all three matadors were gored by bulls.

David Mora suffered the worst injuries, as one of the animals rammed its horn into his leg and tossed him into the air at the Las Ventas bullring.

He was said to be in a serious but no longer life-threatening condition.

About 2,000 bullfights are still held every year in Spain, but the numbers are falling.

In 2010, Catalonia became the second Spanish region after the Canary Islands to ban the tradition.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-27507414

Time this activity was banned?

Edited by Jax

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

It's hard to believe that a supposedly modern country could allow such a "sport" to exist in this day and age. Barbaric.

• Like 4

Posted

It's hard to believe that a supposedly modern country could allow such a "sport" to exist in this day and age. Barbaric.

I agree, there is no place for such activity as a sport to harm man nor beast in this day or age.

Posted

I agree, there is no place for such activity as a sport to harm man nor beast in this day or age.

In this case I don't really have any sympathy for the injured tormentors, frankly!

• Like 1

Posted

In this case I don't really have any sympathy for the injured tormentors, frankly!

with you on that one

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I just wish I'd read that the matador had suffered life changing injuries, or that he'd been killed. People may think my opinions are harsh, but they have been steadfastly held for many years and they won't change.

• Like 1

I find bullfighting abhorrent, as I do with all blood sports but by the same token I cannot see what right we have to enforce our views on the Spanish in this respect.

As mentioned in the opening post the number of bullfights is falling and it has been banned by Catalonia and the Canary Islands - it seems like this progression will continue, so to my view it would be far better to let the Spaniards deal with this themselves and let it fade away naturally. To try and force our will on others will only lead to resentment and we have enough problems with their claims on Gibraltar.

Apart from that we have quite enough problems of our own.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Pity the 'heroic brave' matadors weren't killed IMO. They have a choice, those poor animals don't.

• Like 2

Posted

I find bullfighting abhorrent, as I do with all blood sports but by the same token I cannot see what right we have to enforce our views on the Spanish in this respect.

Sometimes locals are blind to evolving human attitudes around them about the respect for others and other things, because the activities they engage in are so entrenched. Often it is pressure from outside that makes them see things differently. It would also help if tourists stayed away from these festivals, as withdrawing their money from the townships which put on these events would offer the best opportunity for a ban. Nothing speaks more than money.

Edited by Styx
    • Like 1

Given that the majority of people in this site would not support capital punishment for the most heinous of a human being murdering another human being I find it quite shocking that a number of you would be quite happy with the spectacle of a matador being gored to death in front of an audience.

Haven't we progressed since the days when the Romans used to throw the Christians to the lions?

I know that bull fighting is abhorrent to most of us but two wrongs do not make a right.

Yes, by all means encourage tourists to boycott the bull fights but we cannot force this on people - they have the right to make up their own minds.

Try and enforce regulations on people to desist on these type of activities and they will just go underground much the same as badger baiting, cock fighting and dog fighting have done here.

The answer is to encourage people to come to their own conclusions that such activities are wrong through education. It's a long process, taking generations in some cases but the results are more sustainable.

Edited by mike Meehan

Posted

Given that the majority of people in this site would not support capital punishment for the most heinous of a human being murdering another human being I find it quite shocking that a number of you would be quite happy with the spectacle of a matador being gored to death in front of an audience. Haven't we progressed since the days when the Romans used to throw the Christians to the lions? I know that bull fighting is abhorrent to most of us but two wrongs do not make a right. Yes, by all means encourage tourists to boycott the bull fights but we cannot force this on people - they have the right to make up their own minds. Try and enforce regulations on people to desist on these type of activities and they will just go underground much the same as badger baiting, cock fighting and dog fighting have done here. The answer is to encourage people to come to their own conclusions that such activities are wrong through education. It's a long process, taking generations in some cases but the results are more sustainable.

How can you be so sure the majority wouldn't support capital punishment?, is it because we like the weather and that's perhaps a bit geeky so in turn we couldn't want to sentence murderers to death lol? Edited by No Balls Like Snow Balls
    • Like 3

Posted

They got just what they were asking for.

• Like 1

Posted

Given that the majority of people in this site would not support capital punishment for the most heinous of a human being murdering another human being I find it quite shocking that a number of you would be quite happy with the spectacle of a matador being gored to death in front of an audience.

Haven't we progressed since the days when the Romans used to throw the Christians to the lions?

I know that bull fighting is abhorrent to most of us but two wrongs do not make a right.

Yes, by all means encourage tourists to boycott the bull fights but we cannot force this on people - they have the right to make up their own minds.

Try and enforce regulations on people to desist on these type of activities and they will just go underground much the same as badger baiting, cock fighting and dog fighting have done here.

The answer is to encourage people to come to their own conclusions that such activities are wrong through education. It's a long process, taking generations in some cases but the results are more sustainable.

"Two wrongs don't make a right"...I really don't get the relevance of that expression here?

I don't WANT them dead, but if they end up seriously injured/killed then I have absolutely no sympathy for them. Karma for tormenting these animals who shouldn't be subject to this abhorrent treatment.

Edited by Nick L
    • Like 4

Posted

In any case, how can you suggest that what the bulls did was 'wrong'. Animals have no sense of right and wrong. They act purely on instinct, and if they feel threatened, are in pain and are being tormented.....they will attack. As these poor creatures were obviously doing.

The humans, however are doing something which is NOT necessary for either survival or which is instinctive, but purely for 'entertainment' and exploitation.

These blood letting spectacles should be boycotted and abolished like circuses and some zoos.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Meh, while we have a pretty awful meat industry, and hunting traditions, I don't think we can complain too much.

At least those bulls get a good and relatively long life before entering the ring.

• Like 1

Posted

This is a graphic depiction of a bull fight. It's revolting and barbaric. I don't like ANY blood sport, and I DONT eat meat. I don't care if the bull is lodged at the Ritz before it dies in this horrifying manner. It's still an appalling way to end up.......

http://www.stopbullfighting.org.uk/facts.htm

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: if its warm i want sun..if its cold i want snow.

what happens to a dead bull ?..do folk chop it into bits and eat it ?. its massive, where does it go ?.

Posted

what happens to a dead bull ?..do folk chop it into bits and eat it ?. its massive, where does it go ?.

pets at home

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: if its warm i want sun..if its cold i want snow.

pets at home

dog food..woof.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Such events are about the only facet of bullfighting that give me any cause for celebration...

• Like 1