Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 21st May 2014 onwards

Posted

Lightning activity with that cell looks to be going directly north towards Portsmouth/IOW to me on the Netweather radar with ATD overlay though it could curve a bit more NNW but more cells could form and track a bit to its east.

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 1

Posted

Hmmmmmmm, got the tell tale queezy feeling in my stomach now, that's my self preservation against lightning strike warning kicking in......

Must be Thunderstorm/s heading for Leicester today!!!!

Posted

Wow sounds pretty nasty! I'll never forget that day. Same day as El Brumo as well !!

the church was badly damaged, the graveyard was a mess as trees were uprooted and pulled up headstones and bones, a guy was in the butchers, came out to get on his moped, which he found 500 yrds down the road, he said thats the quickest his moped had ever moved, lol

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

The chances are, with cloudtops reaching 25000ft+, the instability across areas South & East of the rainband will be easily sufficient enough for more cell development.

Expect more of what's developing/has developed over Northern France to head north through the next few hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Looks like it's going to make landfall around Weymouth heading NNW. 

Posted

Morning all.

Have a shed load of things to do b4 work at 2.30pm but with that storm now heading my way I think I have just changed my plans.

Got the car and thinking I will be chasing very soon :)

Anyone fancy making a call on which way I should head from Bournemouth to get in position, got no mob. internet just Mc donalds free wifi or should I sit tight for a while?

Very excited Dave :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Some cumulonimbus forming to my south right now (in Brighton this morning) 

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Some cumulonimbus forming to my south right now (in Brighton this morning) 

Some small but bright echoes popping up on radar just south of Brighton over the Channel. Some strong divergence aloft  overspreding Channel/S England atm, with the left exit of a strong 100knt+ jet streak over over N France now, so not surprised things are kicking off so early. A volatile atmosphere this morning, even without surface heating. Certainly ingredients for severe storms.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 1

Posted

Come to Winchester Dave i'll make you a cup of tea and give you some coffee! - (or scrap that the view is no good compared to the sea!!)

I'm well excited.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

As the cell journeys across the channel, will it pick up moisture from the sea, or will the sea leach some of the storms moisture away?

The sea tends to be a little too cool to really help aid storms.

However,

I dont think it will have any negative affects either today.

Posted

that storm is charginf across the channel now 5 strikes just recently

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

It looks like another round of torrential rain, very dark and unstable to my south. 21mm fell this morning, I haven't seen rain like that's for quite some time!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

torrential rain in the early hours but not a sniff of thunder ..hopefully that cell in the channel will swing left as it makes landfall and head for me !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Come on everyone, lets have a proper PMA today :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

The area to the southeast of the cell is where I think we need to watch - it could well develop further and possibly separate from the rest. Currently it's where we're seeing the most electrical activity.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

the storms over the channel will follow the upper steering winds 500hpa to save confusion....also watch the 300hpa winds because if there's upper shear the anvil tops will be sheared giving the illusion that the storm is moving in a different direction. For Luke (Surrey) watch those discrete cells firing to the west of Brighton, as they're heading for you. 

The multicell cluster will track due north and start to then track NNW following the upper flow to make landfall between southampton and bournemouth and track towards Salisbury and then start to turn towards Bristol & SE Wales

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All Weather

Posisioned myself in Poole for the day and Just started to get the rain here. Fingers crossed for some action today.

Posted

While there's very heavy rain in the channel heading towards Dorset area, the main electrified cell(s) are on the E/SE side of this heading towards the IOW area at present.

I am certainly liking the look of this for southern areas with other cells developing in the channel showing energy even over the sea, and signs of new development around the main cell. This doesn't seem to be showing signs of dieing off yet.

Edited by Evening thunder