Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 21st May 2014 onwards

Posted

Whats the betting it takes a sharp right turn as it crosses the channel ??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Today reminds me of June 15th 2007. On this day a band of heavy rain moved through during the early hours from SE to NW and was followed by a warm, humid airmass with a defined convergence zone. Despite the warm airmass the temperatures did not rise that high (high teens I believe) but huge thunderstorms broke out over the East Midlands and I witnessed a funnel cloud near Hinckley. Unfortunately I then got caught in traffic as the storm moved north and it moved off - but I got home to find Derby had seen it move over with frequent lightning and torrential rain.

This looks incredibly similar to 28th July 2005 too! On that day a band of rain moved through and about 11 it turned very sunny and humid until 2 hours later when a massive storm tore through with a tornado that hit Paston in Peterborough! Then went onto produce another tornado in Moulton, near Spalding and ripped the church roof off. What a day that was besides all of the damage. Think today may not be too dissimilar myself. Good luck to all !
  • Like 2

Posted

Today reminds me of June 15th 2007. On this day a band of heavy rain moved through during the early hours from SE to NW and was followed by a warm, humid airmass with a defined convergence zone. Despite the warm airmass the temperatures did not rise that high (high teens I believe) but huge thunderstorms broke out over the East Midlands and I witnessed a funnel cloud near Hinckley. Unfortunately I then got caught in traffic as the storm moved north and it moved off - but I got home to find Derby had seen it move over with frequent lightning and torrential rain.

• Like 1

Posted

This looks incredibly similar to 28th July 2005 too! On that day a band of rain moved through and about 11 it turned very sunny and humid until 2 hours later when a massive storm tore through with a tornado that hit Paston in Peterborough! Then went onto produce another tornado in Moulton, near Spalding and ripped the church roof off. What a day that was besides all of the damage. Think today may not be too dissimilar myself. Good luck to all !

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Thanks for that, indeed it does look very similar to today. I am feeling a bit confident for today, and a little excited, but I must remember that it only takes one thing to go wrong and it could be a bust all over again. It wasn't that long ago since the last disappointment.... err 2 day's in actual fact  :fool:

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 1

Posted

This looks incredibly similar to 28th July 2005 too! On that day a band of rain moved through and about 11 it turned very sunny and humid until 2 hours later when a massive storm tore through with a tornado that hit Paston in Peterborough! Then went onto produce another tornado in Moulton, near Spalding and ripped the church roof off. What a day that was besides all of the damage.Think today may not be too dissimilar myself. Good luck to all !

hi, i live in Moulton and that day was a very strange day, it does have that same kind of feel this morning

• Like 1

Posted

Thanks for that, indeed it does look very similar to today. I am feeling a bit confident for today, and a little excited, but I must remember that it only takes one thing to go wrong and it could be a bust all over again. It wasn't that long ago since the last disappointment.... err 2 day's in actual fact  :fool:

lol!!well the clouds are clearing up here in leicester and the sun is coming out!!
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

funny on todays bbc breakfast forecast they mentioned a lot of rain in east midlands

i just hope it goes bang for everyone that desires it except me

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Last night was a disappointing big bust here in London, even the rain totals were really down on what was forecast! I wonder what's going to go wrong today, or right.............. ?! :)

Edited by lassie23
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Morning all,

Had some rain last night at 11pm, hubby thought he had heard a rumble but I think it was a planePosted Image

Cool and murky here at the moment with the sun peaking though.

Am either going to have a storm big enough to make up for the last few lacking days or it will be another  :wallbash:

Edited by Dami

Posted

This looks incredibly similar to 28th July 2005 too! On that day a band of rain moved through and about 11 it turned very sunny and humid until 2 hours later when a massive storm tore through with a tornado that hit Paston in Peterborough! Then went onto produce another tornado in Moulton, near Spalding and ripped the church roof off. What a day that was besides all of the damage.Think today may not be too dissimilar myself. Good luck to all !

Here is that tornado.

Very excited at todays prospects for our area.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Looking good for you Dave,a prime spot....(nice to see you back posting btw)

for my neck of the woods....well, I'm in Nick F's slight risk area for severe storms, hopeful to see some decent convection, but I feel looking at instability, energy & wind flow, I'd say it's the UK's Tornado Alley aka Lincolnshire/Leicestershire/Cambs for the prime action....a day of excited radar watching beckons, so good luck everyone

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

We got rain last night but nothing substantial or thundery.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Not much rain here overnight either.

Looking good for today though! Estofex have a nice set of warnings ( Large hail, tornadoes and lightning! )

Posted

Sun is starting to poke through here after the earlier deluge has cleared. This has to be a good sign as didn't expect the sun to be breaking through this early. May make the met office temperature prediction of 15c in Derby a bit low.

Some heavy returns coming into the Channel from Cherbourg, not a lot of sferic activity in it yet but there has been some and instability will increase from now onwards.

Edit: Rash of sferics now associated with it :)

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Current weather here is quite windy, clouds moving reasonably quickly. 50/50 sunshine and cloud.

Posted

not been well so been catching up.   That set posted last night I saw this morning scares the hell out me that black mass is not far south of here.   God knows how the day pans out.  We got 19mm through night this morning.  There is darker clouds often under the main cloud.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

hi, i live in Moulton and that day was a very strange day, it does have that same kind of feel this morning

Ah wow did you witness that tornado back in 2005?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Still raining heavily here. Just normal heavy rain, nothing thundery at all! Nothing out of the ordinary happened in Limousin either. Quite a bit of lightning activity, and squally winds caused a few road blockages with fallen trees.

• Like 1

Posted

Nice and warm out, although after early sun its rapidly clouding up now.

Notably more humid today than yesterday, which helps :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Well, it absolutely hammered it down in Ipswich, and there was one rumble of thunder. Brilliant!!!!! :(

Hope for better things today.

Posted

Showers moving into the west of our area atm. So making it across the channel at least

Edited by Biggin

Posted

blatantly too far south today. We will breed them for the midlands to enjoy no doubt:p

does anyone know of any lightning detector app for the iphone? I literally cant find anything:(

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

The cell over Cherbourg really needs watching. Has potential and is heading towards Southampton. I reckon that it could turn severe. New cells building all the time on it's SE corner.

• Like 1