Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
Jane Louise

Convective / Storm Discussion - 21st May 2014 onwards

Well the Met got the torrential downpours bit right!! For the past half an hour we just had rain over 30mm/hr and regularly over 100mm/hr. Haven't seen rain like it in years. Leaves stripped off trees, the roads are like rivers and I fear much of the barley will now be flattened as the heads are starting to get heavy. The rain was much heavier than the radar suggests!

Rainband over the east now also looks to be intensifying strongly over Norfolk.

Edited by suffolkboy_
  • Like 2

Holy crap! The rain here is incredible!

• Like 1

I don't see much in the way of rain affecting here tonight, not unless the band connects and the middle part significantly intensifies. Tommorrow afternoon looks like it may get quite spicy for a time though. Much more interesting than tonight.

Lincolnshire & the Humber are in for a very wet night!

I didn't think I'd see much more than 5 or 10mm here, but at least 5mm has fallen in quarter of an hour. I need to check the Davis station, been a while since I've seen this intensity of rain for a sustained period of time.

Why are there so many strikes out in the SW/south of Ireland? Are all of them false? I don't seem to be able to pick them up on any other radar.

Edited by Damone

Not the best video ever, holding a headtorch at the same time was a bit tricky..

• Like 7

Why are there so many strikes out in the SW/south of Ireland? Are all of them false? I don't seem to be able to pick them up on any other radar.

Im seeing the same thing netweather detector is showing them but none of the others no rain here either.

Not the best video ever, holding a headtorch at the same time was a bit tricky..http://youtu.be/fgt8Tz2YLJk

Nice! You've got your own little private pool there, free of charge! :laugh:

• Like 1

Since the first drop of rain hit Norwich its been constant fluctuating light to moderate rain at most really. Thought I heard thunder and then realised it must be a military jet flying high and in the distance lol.

Sleep time I think. Looking forward to what the day has in store!

17mm in 1hr 45mins.

177mm/hr rain rate is the highest I've ever recorded!

post-15177-0-72343600-1400720189_thumb.j

• Like 2

Nothing showing up on the blitzortun app only the strikes out in the north sea and down into france.

post-16206-0-12291900-1400720274_thumb.p

GFS and Euro4 have constantly been downgrading the precipitation intensity on this band of weather all day...

By 9 o'clock in the morning it looks little like the BBC maps intensity wise

Posted Image

Can't find a response to my post earlier ref the "split" it's consequences and likely outcome of the aforementioned "split"

Any takers??

By the way, dry as a slice of my missess toast at the moment here in Leicester!!

• Like 1

Nothing showing up on the blitzortun app only the strikes out in the north sea and down into france.

The only other radar that seems to be recording similar strikes is Sat24.

20.2mm in 2hrs 5mins. Not too shabby! I wonder if I get lucky with any showers later?

It is coming to a halt now, but that was a good couple hours of rain, worth the wait for me. Time to head to Bedfordshire! Ni ni!

Edited by Mapantz

Lightning prepping up again, right where it all started this afternoon in the deep south of France.... Why? No heat this time of night.. what's it's trigger? What's it's fuel?

• Like 1

Heavy rain here in north west London, one distant rumble of thunder about 15 minutes ago

• Like 1

Raining finally in London! It was heavy and accompanied by silent thunder and invisible lightning!

• Like 4

It's now all connected (pic from 0315)

Posted Image

• Like 1