Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 20th May 2014 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Yeah I've had another storm but really had high hopes for today, storms nowhere near as widespread as anticipated. Energy diminishing now so not expecting much more activity for the rest of the evening - sorry folks, just looks like bog standard rain showers from the measly looking cold front! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

the sky looks pretty mental.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

the sky looks pretty mental.

post-7292-0-09431900-1400617909_thumb.jp

Only kidding, can well believe that can see the cloud top temps blooming here http://www.meteo-mc.fr/~meteomc/Images/sat/sat_new_ireu.gif

Also the remnant CAPE depicted on the 18z run matches the area of initiation very well. This composite tangerine lines on image are around 800j/kg and some lighter colouring among the RGB severe storm filter indicates convective activity.

post-7292-0-08217800-1400618048_thumb.pn

• Like 5

Posted Image36947255.jpg

Only kidding, can well believe that can see the cloud top temps blooming here http://www.meteo-mc.fr/~meteomc/Images/sat/sat_new_ireu.gif

Also the remnant CAPE depicted on the 18z run matches the area of initiation very well. This composite tangerine lines on image are around 800j/kg and some lighter colouring among the RGB severe storm filter indicates convective activity.

spot on that !!....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I mean it... if this goes out the window, there will be a lot of bad words coming out of my mouth!

"Fails"worth may be an apt name :D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

This is a vid of the storms I experienced in July last year while in Dymchurch - I first started watching at about midnight and it was obscenely humid and about 22C still.

Enjoy (not my vid but just something to wet the whistle as we nearer summer)

It gets better from around 11:00 onwards

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1

Posted

Well, no queezy tummy today = no lightning today, confirmed.

Even though they scare me to death, I do crave them from time to time....

So to recap, mostly dreary, dank sort of day, occasional breaks when the sun burnt through the gank, Which caused the temp to peak out at 21.2c, but not as humid as yesterday.. then around 19:30 we had a ten minute downpour of warm, big spotted rain, but alas, no electrical activity in it whatsoever!

Leicesters Lightning Shield at full power yet again! Wonder if an import will sneak up to us in the early hours.......???

Posted

Skies darkened very quickly around 9pm leading into a notably early dusk compared to recent nights - however, we've only had a few rumbles of thunder despite the wind picking up markedly.

I think we have seen our thundery activity for the evening - still it was a good half hour between 7.30 and 8pm, with some exceptionally heavy rain.

• Like 1

Posted

Thursday looks promising for those after storms...latest models putting CAPE at 1500Jkg-1 plus in some areas. Will be worth watching tomorrow, and seeing what the chief says. Also would not be surprised to see a warning from ESTOFEX. In the meantime, enjoy tomorrow's sun whilst it lasts!

• Like 5

Posted

Thursday looks promising for those after storms...latest models putting CAPE at 1500Jkg-1 plus in some areas. Will be worth watching tomorrow, and seeing what the chief says. Also would not be surprised to see a warning from ESTOFEX. In the meantime, enjoy tomorrow's sun whilst it lasts!

What model is showing that??

Posted

Will that stay active that's to the south of us here just now? It's going to be close!

Posted

Well I got a weather warning for my area around 11am this morning so I waited, and waited..........and waited..................and waited.....but didn't even see any rain haha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

Well, no queezy tummy today = no lightning today, confirmed.Even though they scare me to death, I do crave them from time to time....So to recap, mostly dreary, dank sort of day, occasional breaks when the sun burnt through the gank, Which caused the temp to peak out at 21.2c, but not as humid as yesterday.. then around 19:30 we had a ten minute downpour of warm, big spotted rain, but alas, no electrical activity in it whatsoever!Leicesters Lightning Shield at full power yet again! Wonder if an import will sneak up to us in the early hours.......???

Very similar here Speedway,we had promising skies around 1800 hrs but these soon drifted over producing a very light shower.Then when taking the dog out at 20.15 we a short sharp shower but nothing more.Seems like the Leicester Shield and Derby Dome will stand for a little longer!!.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Had a bit of this between about 7.30 and 8pm this evening bubbling away. Nothing spectacular but reasonably defined convection as the sun was heading down.

post-7331-0-44817300-1400621097_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

o% of storms today then :nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Good grief I heard Thunderstorms mentioned twice on BBC. What's going on!

Posted

What a beast ...frequent flashes now.http://www.scheveningenlive.nl/pier-webcam/

To quote my northerly neighbours - well jel!!Having watched the BBC forecast just now, the precip tomorrow night looks wicked :D even if nothing electrical, will be nice to have the window open and listening to the rain :D can only hope for more Edited by Harry
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spicy weather

Well, that was absolutely brilliant. Sky went a nasty peachy colour, then black, and then it started to pour. Cloud to cloud and forked lightning. It started about 9:10 pm and is still rumbling on in the distance. It passed straight overhead my house. I've been that excited I've knackered myself out :yahoo:  :clapping:

• Like 4

Posted

Estofex out for tomorrow and it's having none of it for the UK...heavy rain it is then (hopefully) :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I mean it... if this goes out the window, there will be a lot of bad words coming out of my mouth!

Indeed, Thursday looks pretty decent again especially for Central and some Northern parts. However maybe the name of your town may be working against you... :lol:

Posted

Well, that was absolutely brilliant. Sky went a nasty peachy colour, then black, and then it started to pour. Cloud to cloud and forked lightning. It started about 9:10 pm and is still rumbling on in the distance. It passed straight overhead my house. I've been that excited I've knackered myself out :yahoo:  :clapping:

I told you....lol.  Hope you enjoyed your storm....lol

Posted

This is the WRF dbz simulation for thursday...my approx location is marked in violet! :D

Posted Image

Edited by Knoxgar
  • Like 1