Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 20th May 2014 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Wow what a great day yesterday ! especially for Wales (lucky things). :)  Let's hope there is more left to dish out today for those of us that missed out. :) .  

If any of your pictures and videos are  in the last thread  dont forget you can pop them in the gallery , or start a blog or pop in  the photography thread if that makes sense. I'm still half asleep after listening out for storms all night Lol.

please carry on chatting here :)

Edited by Jane Louise
  • Like 3

Posted

Very humid here, rain approaching from the south, looks like the best chance will be this afternoon and possibly further north than here

Posted

Had thunder around 3.30pm yesterday that was followed by torrential rain. Later on from 8pm to 10pm every 5 or 10 minutes there was a flash of lightning with some big rumbles of thunder.

Here's some pics from my local news site,

post-6686-0-37466900-1400570777_thumb.pn

post-6686-0-43412200-1400570787_thumb.pn

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Days like today living in the SE corner is tiresome and depressing.

Sun out here now, temperature on the rise and the humidity still very much on the high side.

Laura Tobin on ITV this morning talking of spectacular thunderstorms moving north today (really egging up the 't' word) and conditions certainly look favourable....if not for me :cray:

Good luck all, will be following this thread today with interest.

• Like 1

Posted

Liking the look of Nick's forecast :) 

All i need now is for it to all hold off until after midday and I can get out there and chase. My thoughts from yesterday of the Humber area still stand although the latest runs have slowed things down a little which now brings areas such as the North Midlands into the frame a bit more. If I could travel that far the north of England (possibly Cumbria to County Durham) look good this evening.

Posted

To be honest, I'm not listening to any forecasts now - I'm just going to play a waiting game...

Wise words!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

I think the cloud cover might hinder things a bit today? Need the sun out to raise those temps. Hoping for another good day, we'll see! :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Barrowby, (nr. Grantham) Sth Lincs (200ft ASL- ish)
  • Weather Preferences: The worse the better!
  • Location: Barrowby, (nr. Grantham) Sth Lincs (200ft ASL- ish)

Very humid here, rain approaching from the south, looks like the best chance will be this afternoon and possibly further north than here

Hi, ChezWeather.

I guess that band of precip is with you now, as I took these nearly an hour ago!

Not the best pics in the world (had HDR on  :nonono: ), but the front looked quite menacing on its approach. Looking back at the radar, it looks kinda like this line of rain started as a literal spin off from the rear of the MCS last night, Almost as though it created its on little cold front and spun it up the country.

As I type the sun is coming out and only high cloud is about, so hopefully we can get some good heating on the go to spark off our very own MCS! :yahoo:  (disclaimer: Forecast based on hopecasting!)

Cheers G

post-5982-0-73015800-1400571689_thumb.jppost-5982-0-52976300-1400571783_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Sun is peaking out, lots of Acas and altostratus surging north under a rocketing temp and humidity. I expect to maybe see a repeat of yesterday but in more central areas. Good luck to all :)

• Like 1

Posted

I have a two hour exam later this afternoon, so I will actually bet you that one will blow over while I'm sitting it!

Looks like you might have two bites at the cherry - one between 10:00 and noon, then again this evening between 7:00 and 10:00

My only window looks to be at rush hour, having all cleared through by the time I get home so that's pony!!

Anyone concerned by excessive cloud cover, 1) the sun is blazing here which I suspect will extend northwards through the day and 2) the frontal trigger will help alleviate much need for sun anyway and finally, 3) its 9:00, hours and hours to go yet so lets not have too much doom and gloom on here today :D

As an aside, early initiation over NW France and an overnight cluster across more central/western areas looking like reinvigorating.

• Like 1

Posted

Plenty of accas floating around here and sun is breaking through!!temps responding nicely now!!fax chart shows the fronts further west on thursday compared to yesterdays update which means the humid air might hang around for a bit longer!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Well after a disappointing night with everything fizzling out on the edges of Bristol (again :nonono:), I am not overly convinced I will see anything for the remainder this week, as the best chances look to be pretty much anywhere from a line North of here.

Thursday sees a band of heavy rain modelled but with the timings once again crosing this area in the early morning, I think once again any activity would crop up further North.

Anyway...with a new PC screen on order after lobbing it into the street, I will just wait and see now if anything develops towards here over the coming days....as ever surprises can crop up and at least some showers are forecast.

Good luck all - it has been a good start to the 'season' at least. I didn't even get one night of burning my eyes over the radars last year.

Edited by Chris K
  • Like 1

Posted

Seem to be thick mid-level cloud at the moment, but I think it's gradually beginning to thin now. I really do hope I get something today!

Tbh, I'd be disappointed for you if you dont as you look nailed on today for something!

Posted

Yesterday at this time here it was already sunny, warm and breezy today...........the sun's gone and if anything it breezier than yesterday (what that means for later who knows yet)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Woke up and it had been raining a bit but no thunder. Looked very humid out and the sun is trying its' best to break though. Looks stormy out so fingers crossed I may get a surprise later. 

Posted

Hmm.. BBC forecasts look kind of rubbish, GFS has improved a bit for last night, and then Netweather go and issue that forecast.. Not sure what to believe.. but based on yesterday probably Netweather over the BBC.. Could actually drive up the M1 and chase possibly with a friend I know from a uni in the midlands, just as long as decent things do form over the Midlands? as Northern England is probably a bit far for me.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I think Kent's best chance seemed like yesterday so I will be (happily) surprised to see anything today.

Posted

Sun starting to break through here. Fingers crossed for later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Despite the cloud cover temps are rising, currently 17.2c. Not gonna get too excited as yesterday will be a hard act to follow! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

The sun is beaming here in Hull at the moment. Heading back to west yorks later, see that the TAF for Leeds Bradford now has PROB40 for thunderstorms which is a good sign.

Posted

Only a meagre 14C here, feels warmer due to the humidity though!

Edited by Darren Bown

Posted

SKYWARN UK SEVERE WEATHER WATCH #020ISSUED: 0900UTC TUESDAY 20TH MAY 2014

SKYWARN UK HAS ISSUED A WATCH FOR SEVERE WEATHER AS FOLLOWS:BRIEF, POTENTIALLY DAMAGING TORNADOES - SOUTHERN,WESTERN, NORTH WEST ENGLAND,MIDLANDS,EAST ANGLIA.POTENTIALLY SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS MIDLANDS, SOUTHERN, WESTERN NORTH WEST, SOUTH WEST ENGLAND AND EAST ANGLIAFLASH FLOODING - SOUTH WEST ENGLAND AND MIDLANDS

IN EFFECT UNTIL 0900UTC WEDNESDAY 21ST MAY 2014

• Like 3