Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 14th May 2014 onwards

Posted

Why are so many negative ref lack of storms, I mean considering it's still only May I've been happy with the radars today, a good week for storms I think, maybe just a taste of what's to come!

You could have made a similar comment last November about snow and look how that turned out! The last 4 years have been really poor for some parts for the thunder. I sort of can understand a degree of cynicism and pessimism on prospects. And even more so if you miss out in the next a couple of days! Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

I am heading up to Ventnor Downs to see if can catch some lightning shots (i have a chaffeur as not allowed to drive) :)

Posted

We have thunder and lightning now in Bridgwater - happy days :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

From the satellite imagery, it looks very much like an MCS - seems to have a strong NW shunt, will it be enough to stem NE drift...interesting few hours ahead :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

You could make a similar comment last November about snow and look how that turned out! The last 4 years have been really poor for some parts for the thunder. I sort of can understand a degree of cynicism and pessimism on prospects. And even more so if you miss out in the next a couple of days!

This is true. It's been a good start to the year with regards to convection for some, but not for everyone. I'll be straight-up honest and say that I'm not happy somewhere else is getting a great thunderstorm - I'm jealous and bitter, lol. If I can't get a thunderstorm, nowhere else can either.

Edited by cheese

Posted

French monster incoming...

lol Lorenzo!

Edited by Cloud 10
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

What a Beast!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
Cloud 10, on 19 May 2014 - 21:04, said:

In which direction is that heading?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Difficult to tell myself but C/S counties somewhere between Bristol and London is a good shout I reckon - if it keeps going!

Although Met office forecasts it to move towards Cornwall and W Country?

Edited by Chris K
  • Like 1

Posted

The wind is coming from the NW here, but showers moving NW, is this just the storm outflow, or is it wind shear between surface and elevation?

I notice that and a shelf cloud as well.I think that's it for this area. Nothing obvious in the immediate future by the radar and to be honest it would not surprise we don't get anything tomorrow as well! Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells

hey all :)

Darren that may well be pure sheer - would be nice to see some jetstream charts, but I believe a strong sw at 300mb - for maintenance of that mcs through evening a strongjet is needed, as the trough nudges in things look good. im on the terrace of my golf club near Cirencester with a coffee looking south :) good luck friends - these nights are priceless :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

looks like a 30 megaton mushroom!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
Chris K, on 19 May 2014 - 21:07, said:

Difficult to tell myself but C/S counties somewhere between Bristol and London is a good shout I reckon - if it keeps going!

Cheers Chris

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

hey all :)Darren that may well be pure sheer - would be nice to see some jetstream charts, but I believe a strong sw at 300mb - for maintenance of that mcs through evening a strongjet is needed, as the trough nudges in things look good. im on the terrace of my golf club near Cirencester with a coffee looking south :) good luck friends - these nights are priceless :)

20 miles or so south of you Sam, eyes peeled to the south with that pleasant nervous feeling in my stomach!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Never underestimate the ability of Godzilla to turn into nothing more than a gecko by the time it reaches our shores!

• Like 7

Posted

For a United Kingdom near you. :D 

• Like 1

Posted

hey all :)Darren that may well be pure sheer - would be nice to see some jetstream charts, but I believe a strong sw at 300mb - for maintenance of that mcs through evening a strongjet is needed, as the trough nudges in things look good. im on the terrace of my golf club near Cirencester with a coffee looking south :) good luck friends - these nights are priceless :)

here you go, NMM12z hi-res run.......300hpa winds for midnight, they stay mainly SE through the period

post-4149-0-94795900-1400530316_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Just looked at the radar and nearly had a heart attack! Has someone moved things back to the 90's or am i hallucinating! An actual MCS that is heading directly North!!!!!!!

• Like 1