Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 14th May 2014 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Nothing here today, but it has gone very cool.. a sea breeze seems to be setting up which will put an end to any storms chances here. 

Always the way though!

I was actually banking on a heavy rain shower to water the garden, with or without thunder.. looks like I'm going to have to do it myself!  :fool:

Edited by SP1986

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Nothing here today, but it has gone very cool.. a sea breeze seems to be setting up which will put an end to any storms chances here. 

Always the way though!

Erm the storms are very close to you actually. This isnt a over reaction toys out of the pram because it hasnt reached you (yet probably!) is it? - Patience!

Edited by Blizzards
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Still no warning! Are you kidding? The instability area seems to be getting closer. I am not sure if Chris R is online but if you look at the radar, you see a shower break out just off Formby.

Hey yeah, it's almost here, creeping ever towards me. Think I may be in a good position for later. Just had a very quick temperature drop as well which is strange. only a matter of time.
  • Like 1

Turning into a pleasant evening here with cloud cover to the south looking more sparse than it was earlier. Keeping my fingers crossed for a thundery surprise tonight but if not it'll have to be tomorrow! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Just watching the line of moderate showers that have developed just NNW of the Channel Islands. Maybe they might do something.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Some impressive cloudscapes earlier but its gone cloudy and cooled down a fair bit now with a strong breeze...not sure what to think really with regards to tonight and tomorrow for the Bristol area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

We are having a pretty intense thunderstorm here at the moment, seen 5 lots of forked lightning so far and the thunder is VERY loud. Rain torrential, roads resemble rivers currently!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I'm astonished there are no warnings out for this. What are the Met Office thinking?!

• Like 8

Posted

Nothing here now, just steady rain/drizzle and overcast. If it wasnt for feeling warm it would be classed as an early winter day now!!

Posted

Just been in work in Kirby looked black towards Wales with distant thunder..still warm and humid here in St Helens

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Erm the storms are very close to you actually. This isnt a over reaction toys out of the pram because it hasnt reached you (yet probably!) - Patience!

The storms is moving away from me NNWwards.. Ive seen the storms skirt north, to the south it's stable. The sky is most definitely stratiform now, and there is noticeable northwesterly breeze. There just not a chance that we will get a storm here.. it's Meteorologically unfeasible. 

Tomorrow there's a chance but sea breezes often deprive coastal areas of storms (though Seabreeze storms are a very very rare thing)

Edited by SP1986

Posted

a loverly evening here so far and nothing in the forecast to get excited, still good to read the reports of people that are a bit closer to the action

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

The line of thunderstorms is definitely moving slowly west whilst storms run along it in a NW'ly direction (SE to NW). A lot of smaller showers breaking out ahead of it across the West Midlands and the thundery stuff is creeping this side of the Welsh border. If the storms continue into the night then many more us will get to see something I think, although maybe not as far east as Derby unfortunately.

I'm astonished there are no warnings out for this. What are the Met Office thinking?!

Not a lot, clearly ;)

The line of thunderstorms is definitely moving slowly west whilst storms run along it in a NW'ly direction (SE to NW). A lot of smaller showers breaking out ahead of it across the West Midlands and the thundery stuff is creeping this side of the Welsh border. If the storms continue into the night then many more us will get to see something I think, although maybe not as far east as Derby unfortunately.

Agreed I think west is best tonight. Those in central and eastern areas are better off tomorrow (excluding those central areas up north that have already had a taste! :D)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the stormier the better...

and sleeeeeeeeeep zzzzzzzzz  :wallbash:  :lazy:  :lazy:

regular Cheshire/ Merseyside non-event. Enjoy your storms Wales.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Either blitzortung has died, or these storms have suddenly all dropped in activity...

Posted

No. Not at night.. This is why I say coastal areas are bad this time of year. There is zero heat to help convection once the sun is down. This is why inland areas are better suit for the heat island / urban heating to help. You do however have the fact that there are already intense pulses out at sea. They may be able to handle the transport across the water.

It is a destabilising plume - not seeding in the boundary layer so surface conditions are unimportant

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Watching a strenghening cell on the radar to the S of Brum atm...heading this way

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Cells now developing to the west of Jersey, are these the start of imported storms that most of us are looking for in to tonight? 

• Like 1

Posted

Storms skirting around us here in Ainsdale, Southport as well. Skies very dark out to sea, nearest strike shows as 8 miles to the W of us. Not heard any thunder yet but sure we would see lightning if it were dark.

Temp has noticeably dropped here too.

and sleeeeeeeeeep zzzzzzzzz  :wallbash:  :lazy:  :lazy:

regular Cheshire/ Merseyside non-event. Enjoy your storms Wales.....

You might Get Lucky Posted Image tonight though, plenty of time left and especially further west, these storms could well linger on through much of the night :) Don't give up!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Cropped from iPod video...

Posted Image

Easing now. Really hoping for a reload for this evening to get some photos...

• Like 1