Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 14th May 2014 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorm, Snow, Wind, Any Extremes :)

I am also thinking about taking out the street light the council installed recently - completely "white washing" the sky!  Grr! 

Posted

The MCS has taken a sharp turn NW. This rules out the whole of the SE, unfortunately.

As a result I have highlighted where the main area of risk is - east of Brighton 25% chance. Unless there is some sort of miracle, I have little understanding with MCS. I hope it turns east in a spectacular fashion :p

post-19153-0-10577600-1400536012_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Best of today's storm. Other sferics were either too far away or in a different direction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkJQze_ThaE&feature=youtu.be

Edited by Convective
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Windy, rumbly, flashy or snowy.

Some very impressive video taken by my partner's stepdad of the lightening over the Bristol channel from the hill in Weston-super-Mare. I'll find a link if I can. X

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

The MCS has taken a sharp turn NW. This rules out the whole of the SE, unfortunately.

As a result I have highlighted where the main area of risk is - east of Brighton 25% chance. Unless there is some sort of miracle, I have little understanding with MCS. I hope it turns east in a spectacular fashion :p

Posted Imageimage.jpg

I'll plump a little further east than that, say from Heathrow to Bath...that's my punt anyway...alas too far west for me

Wouldn't rule out entirely risk of imports for SE tomorrow evening and an ongoing potential of thunder nationwide (at times) for much of the week

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hot sunshine and snowstorms

I have a horrible feeling I'm not going to see much from this except maybe a distant rumble or two. It's turned NW which will skirt the bottom of North Worcestershire and head into Wales. Well that's just a complete guess though. It doesn't seem that big any!ore either? Or is the rain today radar naff??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

If you wished me luck earlier then thanks :) im a happy bunny

Heres a couple bolts, second ones better. Apologies for the weird noise I make, it was a bit exciting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nMnrQc2rYo&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ONlxyNH_ws&feature=youtu.be

Nice shotgun thunder on the second one

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorm, Snow, Wind, Any Extremes :)

A couple of good flashes and rumbles again! could see a bolt to my SW 

Posted

Had continuous storms here for last 6 hours been many years since we have had this !!!

Has any one seen latest daily express heading for tomorrow ?? It's a belter as usual

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Our time has come at last!  Lightning cranking up on the South Coast.  Just caught several fantastic strikes forking across the sky!  Seems the air mass is destabilizing once again. 

• Like 2

Posted

Had continuous storms here for last 6 hours been many years since we have had this !!!Has any one seen latest daily express heading for tomorrow ?? It's a belter as usual

Quoted from the Daily Express  :rolleyes:  :nonono:

SHOCK FORECAST: Worst thunderstorms in 50 years to rip through Britain THIS week

BRITAIN’S scorching early summer will erupt into the most violent thunderstorms seen in decades within 72 hours, forecasters warned tonight.

Many areas will face monsoon conditions as torrential downpours set in across the UK.

More than THREE INCHES of rain could fall in just 48 hours with widespread flash flooding expected as the worst thunderstorms since the 1960s hit.

The freak storms will also bring strong winds, hail and lightning with much of the country warned to expect weather MAYHEM by Friday.

It comes after Britain baked in the hottest day of the year so far today with the mercury hitting 79.3F (26.3C) in Gravesend, Kent.

The Met Office warned that early forecasting models were giving 'cause for concern' for Thursday.

It has now issued a severe weather warning for torrential rain in the north east with more than half an inch expected in an hour.

A statement read: “Thundery downpours are expected to develop on Tuesday afternoon, lasting into the evening.

“The public should be aware of the risk of spray on roads and local surface water flooding.â€

Posted

Quoted from the Daily Express  :rolleyes:  :nonono:

SHOCK FORECAST: Worst thunderstorms in 50 years to rip through Britain THIS week

BRITAIN’S scorching early summer will erupt into the most violent thunderstorms seen in decades within 72 hours, forecasters warned tonight.

Many areas will face monsoon conditions as torrential downpours set in across the UK.

More than THREE INCHES of rain could fall in just 48 hours with widespread flash flooding expected as the worst thunderstorms since the 1960s hit.

The freak storms will also bring strong winds, hail and lightning with much of the country warned to expect weather MAYHEM by Friday.

It comes after Britain baked in the hottest day of the year so far today with the mercury hitting 79.3F (26.3C) in Gravesend, Kent.

The Met Office warned that early forecasting models were giving 'cause for concern' for Thursday.

It has now issued a severe weather warning for torrential rain in the north east with more than half an inch expected in an hour.

A statement read: “Thundery downpours are expected to develop on Tuesday afternoon, lasting into the evening.

“The public should be aware of the risk of spray on roads and local surface water flooding.â€

Cannot believe the press are still publishing this rubbish.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!

Our time has come at last!  Lightning cranking up on the South Coast.  Just caught several fantastic strikes forking across the sky!  Seems the air mass is destabilizing once again. 

Yes I can confirm! I was out earlier and saw a few bolts out to sea, but it went all quiet.

Just going to wait a while longer before calling it quits, as it's looking a little more active at the moment, could be a last minute trip to the quay with camera if all goes well!

• Like 1

Posted

Maybe the Daily Express are right and the apocalyptic storms of the 60's are returning. Or maybe they're wrong...  :rofl:

Thunder rumbling away here again!!

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Storms have died a death over wales !

Just saw this

2310: Very bright FL, gave up counting after one minute, expected it was quite near, and yet it was perhaps 15 miles away to NE as the low thunder was well over a minute later!  Another bright SL 5 minutes later same direction counted at 50 seconds about 10 miles away. We had a heavy shower prior to the TL.

Posted

waited out for four hours looking to the south in an attempt to catch our first ever nighttime lightning photos.

Saw three strikes over the southampton area (est. 30 miles away) and caught this lol - heavily heavily cropped obviously and looks terrible but...

they all count!

post-8367-0-76289700-1400538542_thumb.jp

• Like 5

Posted

New batch of storms firing up in North Wales!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Cannot believe the press are still publishing this rubbish.

Basically a posh Daily Sport without the ahem other bits!

Posted

Well its raining, nice to be in the line this time its a few more miles east, Lets see what comes up later from the channel, Either way least it will be fresher tomorrow 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Yep I think the bbc have this correct for tonight as this MCS is moving further east than most people think:

post-17320-0-78830600-1400539059_thumb.p

• Like 1