Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 14th May 2014 onwards

Posted

MCS can be used to describe a multicell system (ie many cells absorbed into 1 system). However, sometimes the organisation of these systems can arrange into something stronger known as a mesoscale convective system  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesoscale_convective_system  The one in France is shaping up quite nicely.

thanks for that totally understand now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Not sure about that Darren. Too often I have read convective experts saying the clag and reminants from overnight storms or MCS had restricted storm development the next day if they hang around.

Was about to say the same...remnants of MCS are rarely a good thing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorm

This is true. It's been a good start to the year with regards to convection for some, but not for everyone. I'll be straight-up honest and say that I'm not happy somewhere else is getting a great thunderstorm - I'm jealous and bitter, lol. If I can't get a thunderstorm, nowhere else can either.

ha fair enough guys, I would have loved some thunder today but I felt that parts that normally miss out did really well today, great day for severe weather :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

a bit of a lull for folks in the south now, at least according to the various sferic detection apps......not many strikes being detected, lets hope this lull is just a brief one

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Got all the lights in the house switched off here. Feeling excited but not getting carried away, yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Occasional flashes coming from south now !! And a possible mcs to top it off !.....

NO NO NO NO MORE FOR YOU.lol. Enjoy it if you get another
  • Like 1

Posted

Estofex pretty much nailed today's forecast (more than can be said of the met office) will be interesting to see tommorows forecast!

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

a bit of a lull for folks in the south now, at least according to the various sferic detection apps......not many strikes being detected, lets hope this lull is just a brief one

Tell the storms to stop teasing me by dying down as it gets closer to Bristol...  :laugh:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

What an evening. Had three cells pass overhead, and a 4th cell just passed slightly out to sea. Wondering if there will be any more. I wonder if that MCS could hit me in the early morning?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Wind,Lightning

Been lurking in these forums for a while and finally have something to post! Looking south over the mendips! Moving north west, just on the edge of this monster now. :-)

WOW!!

Posted

Not sure about that Darren. Too often I have read convective experts saying the clag and reminants from overnight storms or MCS had restricted storm development the next day if they hang around.

You're right there, I guess it's all or nothing then?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Weather

Just had a huge lightning bolt and a big rumble of thunder here in Cardiff!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

The MCS is fading in activity - more an area of heavy rain with stronger convective sferic elements on its northern and eastern edge. More activity behind towards Bordeaux. I suspect that as it is still early that any grunge remaining preventing home grown storms tomorrow will have passed to the north by mid morning, allowing further home grown activity for the midlands from around lunchtime. 

Geckozilla it may end up being!

Edited by chionomaniac
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Imported storms from France have got here with thunder! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Even though everything seems to be fading I just have the instinct that something is going to happen but I really don't know what...

The MCS is fading in activity - more an area of heavy rain with stronger convective sferic elements on its northern and eastern edge. More activity behind towards Bordeaux. I suspect that as it is still early that any grunge remaining preventing home grown storms tomorrow will have passed to the north by mid morning, allowing further home grown activity for the midlands from around lunchtime. 

Geckozilla it may end up being!

Then so be it! Lets hope it moves through quick and clears in time for tomorrows home-growners! :D

Posted

I'm getting rumblings coming from the south with faint flashes , sign of more to come !