Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 14th May 2014 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Ignore what you car thermometer says they totally inaccurate and can only be used as an extremely rough guide. I suspect your car might have been parked in the sun if yu keep driving around a bit it may get closer to the proper values. For example my journey home from work takes 20 mins if the cars parked in the sun all day it isn't uncommon for the entire journey home to be at 30C when the Max temp is 15c to 20C. In winter when you get in them the temperature is probably more akin to grass temperature than the actual air temp.

Temps are taken in the shade and not in direct sunlight however when surface heating is in question wouldn't it be better to take the temp in sunlight which obviously would be hotter than forecast and more potential for a thunderstorm trigger?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Not really looking so good for this week now

Don't look too bad to me.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

WRF-NMM is indicating LI of -3 and 500-750 J/Kg of CAPE this afternoon for the SE corner. ELT looks to be around -30 mark and mixing ratio of ~8, along with some deep convergence.

MO showing indications there could be the odd sharp thundery shower in a line from Norwich to Colchester, but Euro4 not showing any showers this afternoon, and Estofex has no mention of it. So low risk, however, the sun is out and it's very warm, so you never know.

Posted

Car thermometers are notoriously iffy.

never knew that Nick thanks.   Thanks PIT was driving around car is in shaded garage at night and impossible get sunlight.    Adjusting a weather stations so its tuned is hard.   Not expecting be brilliant mind it was from maplin.

met going for some isolated thunderstorms in anglia later norwich at 4pm got heavy shower predicted greenday

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

not sure how cars temps are but its says its 24c at present here yet humberside is 64f  which is I think around 18c.  If the car accurate then my mistrust in my weather station which was calling 22c I offset it in weather display to match humberside.  

This going implode the clouds if we are 22c rest country will be hotter.

Agree with comment following this re car temps: they need to settle down after you have been driving in them for a good while and are usually within 1.5°C of the actual air temp. Anyway for your ref, not a cloud in the sky here and the temp is 18.8°C. Usually Humberside is within a degree or so of the value here unless it is foggy or there is a hard ground frost.

Hope this helps a bit: I use a lot of pool cars from work and usually check the car temp when I get out to what the WS shows so the 1.5°C is a pretty good average I would say.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Cloudy here, can't see us getting any storms unless they budge.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

You really just cannot use just CAPE and LI's in deciding whether there will be storms or not, to me depending on how west the front is situated in the Atlantic depends on how widespread the action will be. Whether the charts for CAPE look worse or not there is still a huge but uncertain potential, you cannot rule anything out until the final minute.

When viewing charts you should closely look at the LI's because in general the lower the LI (-3) for example, has a better chance of strong thunderstorms than LI's of (-1) as there is usually a correlation between the low LI's and strong thunderstorms. However with CAPE even if you have little amounts, if you have strong shear as well including this front to our west and include dirnual heating, there could really be some strong thunderstorms, it's very difficult to get right even at this stage.

Well said. From someone just younger than me with that information is incredible. :clapping:

• Like 1

Posted

Agree with comment following this re car temps: they need to settle down after you have been driving in them for a good while and are usually within 1.5°C of the actual air temp. Anyway for your ref, not a cloud in the sky here and the temp is 18.8°C. Usually Humberside is within a degree or so of the value here unless it is foggy or there is a hard ground frost.

Hope this helps a bit: I use a lot of pool cars from work and usually check the car temp when I get out to what the WS shows so the 1.5°C is a pretty good average I would say.

thanks for the info and all who commented was puzzled it does feel hot was humid last night.  Everything sorted with better temp gauge

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

It is very warm outside now. A few cumulus clouds bubbling up. There may be a few heavy showers inland and if we're lucky some distant rumbles of thunder later. But, I'm not getting my hopes up at this stage in the day.

Posted

never knew that Nick thanks.   Thanks PIT was driving around car is in shaded garage at night and impossible get sunlight.    Adjusting a weather stations so its tuned is hard.   Not expecting be brilliant mind it was from maplin.

met going for some isolated thunderstorms in anglia later norwich at 4pm got heavy shower predicted greenday

Thanks vladthemert, its lovely here, hot, sunny and bearly a cloud in the sky at the moment. Any cloud that is here is very thin and high.

I am off out in a bit and will have weather radar, phone with alerts from this thread through email and camcorder to hand all fully charged in case anything happens, if not it's a beautiful day to get out anyway. Certainly with the possibility of Monday and Tuesday and perhaps Sunday night I have been on it like a car bonnet to keep things charged and with me :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Not a cloud in the sky in Cambs. 25c? Very possible I think. Could also be a trigger for an isolated storm. Although capping may stop this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

The same area of convergence and CAPE over the SE and EA didn't bring anything to the Midlands yesterday although temperatures in the risk zone will be a couple of degrees higher today than they were here yesterday so that may help. It is a very slight and isolated risk though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Cloud bubbling up nicely inland round here. Towers already forming.

Btw I'm in Rayleigh near the Thames estuary and not saffron walden :p

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted

I see what you mean about wind convergences. Definitely at 12Z also. Just looked out of the window and now there's a couple of little fluffy clouds.

post-7331-0-96184500-1400325781_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Well said. From someone just younger than me with that information is incredible. :clapping:

Cheers bud :).

Posted

I have noticed some MLCAPE in east anglia area overnight. Looking at the SBCAPE and Li, Li is between 5 and 7. Will these figures still show 0 or below if overnight storms are predicted?

post-7331-0-73316600-1400326359_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Does hearing seagulls when you don't live by the coast mean anything?

I very rarely hear seagulls around here, but they are clearly here this afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Does hearing seagulls when you don't live by the coast mean anything? I very rarely hear seagulls around here, but they are clearly here this afternoon.

Any gypsies moved to the area?I'm not by the coast here but get them daily, more so in the warm months and flying ant day.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

A definite upgrade by GFS tomorrow, widespread LI's of -3 and -4!

0z: post-18097-0-76887800-1400326979_thumb.p 6z:post-18097-0-67767500-1400326965_thumb.p

For Monday the same can be said!

0z: post-18097-0-02483900-1400327089_thumb.p 6z: post-18097-0-33023800-1400327104_thumb.p

Edited by interestingweather
  • Like 4