Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 14th May 2014 onwards

May I ask what the "lifting index" determines?

• LI 6 or Greater, Very Stable Conditions
  • LI Between 1 and 6 : Stable Conditions, Thunderstorms Not Likely
  • LI Between 0 and -2 : Slightly Unstable, Thunderstorms Possible, With Lifting Mechanism (i.e., cold front, daytime heating, ...)
  • LI Between -2 and -6 : Unstable, Thunderstorms Likely, Some Severe With Lifting Mechanism
  • LI Less Than -6: Very Unstable, Severe Thunderstorms Likely With Lifting Mechanism
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms storms and more storms

Nice few days into the weekend for everyone, then all change as of Sunday. A sharp and southward projecting upper trough drives a weak Icelandic low down the Wrn side of the UK before the upper trough cuts off and leaves a complex surface low situation, which the globals see wallowing around through next week. This puts a plume of Biscay/Continental air up the UK, with widespread precip between the 5 and 10oC isotherms at 850mb - some of this may be convective, though most will be smeared murk and downstream effects of Continental convection. Nevertheless, some periods of warm sector thermodynamic convection likely given the ascent provided by the jet persistently rounding the base of what becomes a cut-off upper low. Some hints of a Continental heat low generated from Benelux/Germany and drawn NWwd over the UK later in the period.

Either way, some flooding concerns given much higher PW values than we've seen so far creating heavy rain rates, though on the plus side temps hovering around 20oC for most away from the far W.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

A slight westward shift by the GFS on the latest 06z run. This is looking to be getting quite interesting now. If this continues to shift gradually further West, it could be quite explosive !

Posted

A slight westward shift by the GFS on the latest 06z run. This is looking to be getting quite interesting now. If this continues to shift gradually further West, it could be quite explosive !

yup I was just about to post the same thing on the model thread!!sunday is now looking to be a very warm and sunny day across eastern england aswell!!cape values have been downgraded in the midlands and south for saturday though but on the other hand temps are higher more widely across england!weird that!! Edited by shaky

Posted

yup I was just about to post the same thing on the model thread!!sunday is now looking to be a very warm and sunny day across eastern england aswell!!cape values have been downgraded in the midlands and south for saturday though but on the other hand temps are higher more widely across england!weird that!!

I expect upgrades if things keep going the way they are. Very interested as mentioned above about a possible heat low coming up from the Benelux, that could well be in the form of a MCS if we're very lucky!
  • Like 1

When importing storms from France the one thing that plays a part is SST (Surface sea level temperature) 

Simple to explain... If a thunderstorm is over land it has it's power source to grow or keep going.. As it moves over a cold area of water.. Hey presto you shut off the power source BUT if you have warmer SSTs then you have a chance it can maintain the journey and or develop once again as it hits land (VERY RARE!) 

Back in January I mentioned the fact that due to a very mild winter the SSTs where in fact much higher than they usually are..

I can't find the site where I check the average but I believe they are in fact a few degrees warmer than usually this sort time of year.. 

post-12648-0-14776000-1400158518_thumb.j

Edited by Surrey
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Could be some problems with localised flooding next week in parts of north west Scotland and northern Ireland if these accumulated totals come off almost 120mm for some in NW Scotland river levels are certainly going to be high some big differences in Scotland it has to be said 120mm for some western parts but just 20mm for the likes of Aberdeen

Posted Image

Posted

When importing storms from France the one thing that plays a part is SST (Surface sea level temperature) 

Simple to explain... If a thunderstorm is over land it has it's power source to grow or keep going.. As it moves over a cold area of water.. Hey presto you shut off the power source BUT if you have warmer SSTs then you have a chance it can maintain the journey and or develop once again as it hits land (VERY RARE!) 

Back in January I mentioned the fact that due to a very mild winter the SSTs where in fact much higher than they usually are..

I can't find the site where I check the average but I believe they are in fact a few degrees warmer than usually this sort time of year.. 

Depends if the storms are elevated above the boundary layer does it not?

Most MCS' we import from France (when that used to happen, somewhen before 2007) are elevated and therefore unaffected by the relatively frigid channel.

Surface-based storms would indeed struggle moving over a cold mass of water, but elevated storms would be unaffected.

That's not to say an elevated storm cant become rooted in the boundary layer and surface-based later on once it has crossed the channel.

But anyway, we all know the drill now. MCS develops over France, moves north then dramatically East avoiding the UK entirely apart from the very south eastern corner.

I do live in an absolute graveyard for decent thunderstorms though (apart from one noteable storm that became organised and sheared last year..she was a beaut)

Edited by Nick L
Fixing quote
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

^ yup.

In some circumstances, I have seen MCS' maintain their energy when crossing the channel out of the Summer months, when SST's are lower but are warmer than the land. Many an elevated storm has survived the pitiful journey and given a great display here, in the past, not so much now though, as they pass east and and west of me. :laugh:

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I propose we have a whip round to fund a heated platform to cover the Channel.

• Like 3

^ yup.

In some circumstances, I have seen MCS' maintain their energy when crossing the channel out of the Summer months, when SST's are lower but are warmer than the land. Many an elevated storm has survived the pitiful journey and given a great display here, in the past, not so much now though, as they pass east and and west of me. :laugh:

Lost count of the times I've seen big thunderstorms from the continent maintain their activity way up into the North Sea also. I think SST's are overrrated, we just need any 'plume' to be far west enough, unfortunately the boundary is usually too far east, grrr.

Edited by Bobby
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Lost count of the times I've seen big thunderstorms from the continent maintain their activity way up into the North Sea also. I think SST's are overrrated, we just need any 'plume' to be far west enough, unfortunately the boundary is usually too far east, grrr.

There's no doubt that things have changed over the years, but I believe it works in cycles.

This year has started off well, so let's hope the pattern continues when it matters most, when those temps rocket and humidity goes up!

I'm not a huge fan of that type of weather at night, but if there's a chance of storms sparking off, then it's worth it. :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

MCS are normally so big that by the time the front has crossed the channel the first cells keep the rest going before re-exploding over the South East. It's an amazing sight that's for sure.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Estofex have the 15% lightning risk over C-UK tomorrow. WRF and GFS build CAPE across this same area through the afternoon and are expecting precipitation to break out. The Met Office now also showing showers breaking out on their precipitation forecast. Are these all expecting that showers will break out despite the high pressure lid sitting over us? It would be interesting to know what temperature is needed to break through the CAP tomorrow because if we can achieve that temperature then there may be a surprise or two later on tomorrow.

• Like 5

Posted

Estofex have the 15% lightning risk over C-UK tomorrow. WRF and GFS build CAPE across this same area through the afternoon and are expecting precipitation to break out. The Met Office now also showing showers breaking out on their precipitation forecast. Are these all expecting that showers will break out despite the high pressure lid sitting over us? It would be interesting to know what temperature is needed to break through the CAP tomorrow because if we can achieve that temperature then there may be a surprise or two later on tomorrow.

Yes,it would be impressive to get something decent tomorrow but i suppose stranger things

have happened.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Yes for me im not convinced about tomorrow or Saturday cause of the high pressure possibly keeping everything down or at least causing a restriction somewhat. However according to GFS sunday shows an Atlantic low creeping in for monday and Tuesday and I feel that is the time to focus on the probability of storms and gearing up for a possible show.

(Amateur perspective)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Yes for me im not convinced about tomorrow or Saturday cause of the high pressure possibly keeping everything down or at least causing a restriction somewhat. However according to GFS sunday shows an Atlantic low creeping in for monday and Tuesday and I feel that is the time to focus on the probability of storms and gearing up for a possible show.

(Amateur perspective)

The fax charts agrees with the GFS for Sunday

Posted Image

But then gets pushed back West...ish, come Monday!... but for the probability of storms, well it's too early to say just yet! :whistling:

Posted Image

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

Looking very exciting next week as regards storm potential. A few possible thunderstorms over the weekend if temperatures can break the cap aided by any wind convergence zones. Next week dare I say it looks good for some overnight MCS development pushing up from the continent on a warm humid south easterly wind. If the residual cloud from any MCS clears there is also a chance of home grown storms during daylight hours.... Time to check my camera and HD camcorder me thinks in anticipation  :yahoo:

• Like 2

Posted

The fax charts agrees with the GFS for Sunday

Posted Image

But then gets pushed back West...ish, come Monday!... but for the probability of storms, well it's too early to say just yet! :whistling:

Posted Image

That Monday chart is juicy, very warm, dry air being driving north from S Spain, with the cold front out west holding moisture. Everything is looking good at the moment!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

That Monday chart is juicy, very warm, dry air being driving north from S Spain, with the cold front out west holding moisture. Everything is looking good at the moment!

True .... I still think Tuesday looks best, especially what may (come up/come off) from the continent.... WOW!

Posted ImagePosted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Can't believe these charts are becoming closer to reality after being in fairy land not so long ago. The scary thing is that they seem to be upgrading too!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Posted Image

• Like 2