The FIFA World Cup - Brazil 2014

I have this horrible feeling we shall only achieve 1 point in the group (losses to Italy, Uruguay, draw against Costa Rica.

If Hodgson is bold though and has a more attacking approach and uses the youngsters then we might do better. However I feel he will play it safe and stick with the likes of Milner, Henderson which is a mistake in my opinion. We already have Gerrard playing in a defensive midfielder role and do not need another player like Henderson performing the same job. I fear a 4-2-3-1 formation could become 6-3-1 due to Hodgson negative football.

I feel whatever Hodgson does with the squad, they are simply not good enough. When have ever been 28/1 to win a tournament with the bookies ? 

Italy will edge a tight struggle and then we will probably lose a bad tempered clash with Uruguay. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We're probably not going to do well, but you know what? I don't really care. I'm just going to enjoy the World Cup and be grateful that we're actually there! And just remember, it could be worse, we could be Scottish  :vava::D

If we can avoid defeat to Italy, I think we'll get through.

Edited by Nick L

I actually sat and watched the match last night and in truth England are even worse then I thought, against 10 men and side ranked just 33 and in the heat you really cannot be taking 0-0 and expect any sort of credit.

Some basic rules in football, against 10 men you have to go wide use the flanks and work your oppos shape. You don't stay narrow and try to go through the middle. Hopeless totally hopeless.

England to go out at the group stage for me.

• Like 1

I actually sat and watched the match last night and in truth England are even worse then I thought, against 10 men and side ranked just 33 and in the heat you really cannot be taking 0-0 and expect any sort of credit.Some basic rules in football, against 10 men you have to go wide use the flanks and work your oppos shape. You don't stay narrow and try to go through the middle. Hopeless totally hopeless.England to go out at the group stage for me.

Just a pre-tournament friendly it means nothing and will have no bearing on how England perform next Saturday..if it were me I would go with experience against the Italians to grind out a result of sorts..then go with a younger more attacking side against Uruguay and Costa Coffee

I actually sat and watched the match last night and in truth England are even worse then I thought, against 10 men and side ranked just 33 and in the heat you really cannot be taking 0-0 and expect any sort of credit.Some basic rules in football, against 10 men you have to go wide use the flanks and work your oppos shape. You don't stay narrow and try to go through the middle. Hopeless totally hopeless.England to go out at the group stage for me.

Despite my negative views towards Englands chances I take very little notice of friendlies.

Christ what a pile of pooh the game was Saturday night, wish i hadn't bothered sitting up for the game lol. Still was good practice for the game this Saturday at 11pm.

I am actually considering putting a tenner on England to win all there group games, currently odds are 17/2 :-)

Just for a bit of fun and because I can I decided to look at the results England have had in world cup finals since they won the world cup..so these are results from 1970-2010.

Interestingly they have played the equivalent of a full Premier league season that's is to say 38 games I have counted penalty shoot outs as draws for clarity.

so the record is:

Played  Won  Drawn  Lost GF  GA

38 18   13 7 48 26.

So use the Premier league for international sides and world cup performances then England are the Everton of the international world hard to beat lots of draws but wins very little.

Brazil are the Man Ud as they are the benchmark and the team everyone wants to beat and Germany are Liverpool..dominant in the 70s and 80s fallen away in the mid 1990s close to regaining their former glory...and Spain are Man City always underperformed for their size  but now are a major force with some titles now under their belt.

• Like 1

Despite my negative views towards Englands chances I take very little notice of friendlies.

With most teams yes, but England are usually better at friendlies then they are in tournaments. Defensively the last 2 matches have been littered with mistakes, friendly or not they are not just going to go away and against better sides they are going to be punished. 

My guesses at Group Winners (bet on the opposite to guarantee making money)

A - Brazil

B - Spain

C - Cote d'Ivoire

D - Italy

E - France

F - Argentina

G - Germany

H - Belgium

My guesses at Group Winners (bet on the opposite to guarantee making money)

A - Brazil

B - Spain

C - Cote d'Ivoire

D - Italy

E - France

F - Argentina

G - Germany

H - Belgium

I have got to say I fancy Ivory Coast for a big tournament. 

With most teams yes, but England are usually better at friendlies then they are in tournaments. Defensively the last 2 matches have been littered with mistakes, friendly or not they are not just going to go away and against better sides they are going to be punished. 

In need if we manage our expectations we should have a enjoyable world cup

England couldn't beat a Luxembourg team with just 4 players , that should stop the 'edge of seat stuff'

I have got to say I fancy Ivory Coast for a big tournament. 

Players seem to be getting a bit old and they failed to win the African Cup, they should be close for second with Columbia though.

Japan i think will probably progress with a full 9 points.

Where does Italy fit in?

if you look at last season Italy would be Chelsea..historically they would be Arsenal of the 80s and 90s...Holland would be the Arsenal of today..and Argentina would be Spurs.

This may sound bad, but I really hope Wellbeck misses the Italy game and Sterling starts. IMO Sterling is so what we need against an ageing slow Italian side.

yep for me Wellbeck is not international standard.

This may sound bad, but I really hope Wellbeck misses the Italy game and Sterling starts. IMO Sterling is so what we need against an ageing slow Italian side.

Italy play for possession and have the technical skills to make it work. A few long balls to Ballotelli via a shaky English defense will be sufficient.

Italy play for possession and have the technical skills to make it work. A few long balls to Ballotelli via a shaky English defense will be sufficient.

not really..its the full back positions that will be the problem not so much central defence..plus Ballotelli will want ball to feet not lumping long balls into him against England centre backs...im sure Italy will try and stretch the play by keeping the ball and exploited England's flanks..i think England are pretty solid through the middle of the park they are weak out wide.

Maybe we should start without Rooney as well! Not showed much form recently even though he scored a tap in!

Rooney is not a striker though,,i would play him as a CF in a 4-4-1-1 formation with Sturridge as striker...Rooney has a free role in between the striker and the midfield..his job would be to drop into midfield esp when we don't have the ball to give us 5 across the middle and also to get up and support Sturridge when going forward.

Football is not my thing as many of you know, but just read some news articles on it and the question many are raising is "will they be ready?"

Football is not my thing as many of you know, but just read some news articles on it and the question many are raising is "will they be ready?"

Looks like the fans will be sharing their seats with work men whilst watching the games, just as long as they don't get in the way of the action! :)