Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Chat

A.J

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Apologies, just saw the Polar Low thread and apparently it is one!!

Expected to track SW Scotland into NW England so could bring NE Ireland into play.

Exciting stuff!

Like you I have my doubts to me they sit in very cold sub -5c 850 air, have very heavy snow, and are basically all snow events. This one has a relatively mild sector and will not be snow on its SW flanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , thunderstorms and wind

Is this the low approaching on weather?

Yes, I think it is.

Edited by John Cox

Posted

150129_1200_108.png

150129_1200_108.png

The Monday night into Tuesday morning is a very interesting period. Very cold uppers over Ireland with a warm sector pushing in to the west coast. ECM shows plenty of precipitation activity. If this comes off there could be some real action as it fights it out.

The polar low activity tonight seems to have too much warm air (by its nature) to produce snow everywhere. Looking at weather stations where the wind is the highest temp up to 6 to 7 celcius now. One thing though is the ground here is frozen and where the snow melted is treacherous with ice. Might be get frozen rain/sleet which will be something else to deal with as a live on a hill.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Yet another sleet shower here, 1.5C. The uppers don't look great for snow tonight, but some of the mountainous areas of the north must have a few feet of snow at this stage.

Posted

So other than some snow/wintry showers over the weekend all eyes on developments for Monday night. Could best the best Chance so far this winter for widespread snow.

Yes, this is a big chance. Now usually Ireland loses to mild air mixing in from the west, with just transient snow and then a balmy 10c within hours,Wales and more likely England hang in there longer. But this one has a better chance as the low moves south not due east and slides south. I think both GFS show milder air mixed in, ECM not so much so it might be a bit like tonight with sleet, but one to note all the same over the weekend. I am sure a lot will change over the next 72 hours.

• Like 2

Posted

Just got real squally here with heavy hail and snow mixed in! Really hoping Monday brings something decent as it could be our last chance for a while. Not expecting much over the weekend but you just never know.