Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Chat

A.J

Posted

I have a bet with a colleague (he buys lunch if he's wrong, I buy if I'm wrong) that we will have lying snow at work tomorrow afternoon (in Belfast) lol .. I was confident yesterday but now I'm not so sure ... boy I hate being wrong too ... may just take it as it comes and be prepared to fork out for his lunch on Thurs lol

• Like 2

Posted

It's not confusing guys.

We are dealing with showers and or bands of showers, these showers will be mostly of snow but perhaps sleet at low levels. If you live up a hill in the North West you will see more snow than someone at sea level in the South East.

Also, as is the nature of showers, some might see streamers coming in frequently over there house, yet five miles up the road get very little.

The models simply cannot forecast whether it will snowing over your house at a certain time in these kind of situations.

It really is a case of watching the radar for approaching precipitation and seeing what falls out the sky.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: whatever the weather, I'll be watching.

North and West will fare better Wednesday/Thursday, North and East fare best weekend in the Northerly/Northeasterly flow. Higher pressure nudging closer by the weekend I'd imagine so the showers becoming less frequent in the West. I haven't looked at the charts yet but judging from where the flow is and the chart I seen of the Northerly on BBC weather that's my thought. Haven't had any real lying snow in Bangor this winter apart from a very light dusting last week, but hopefully will get to see at least a heavy snow shower at night/evening,

• Like 2

Posted

Looking at the Met office TV forecasts and Met office online it does appear at the moment that a heavier spell of snow may develop prior to and during tomorrow evening's rush hour. Better take my walking boots tomorrow, just in case.

• Like 3

Posted

Barra Best saying "isolated snow showers" and maxes of 6 degrees whilst the graphics behind him show the opposite.

Good ain Barra.

Lol seen it. He's a joke of a forecaster. Sorry Barra but it's true.

• Like 1

Posted

BBC with big downgrades now on there site! showing rain almost all day tomorrow for strabane and derry!  :wallbash:

• Like 1

Posted

The automated forecasts have changed. Nothing else! All of the below can't be wrong!!

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=news;storyid=6421;sess=

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=ni&fcTime=1422403200

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

Liked Â· 2 hrs Â· Edited Â· 

Amber & Yellow warnings of Heavy Snow, Blizzard conditions, high winds and Low Temperatures have been issued for Northern Ireland.

Warnings valid from: 8.00am 28/01/2015. And will be valid until further notice. This warning replaces the earlier amber warning. 

As a cold front moves southeast across the country overnight it will introduce much colder conditions behind across all parts and from tomorrow morning, frequent and heavy showers are expected widely across the country, these starting as rain to low levels but will turn readily to sleet and snow, not just on the hills but to low levels throughout the day.

The sleet and snow showers are expected to continue throughout Wednesday, overnight and into Thursday, becoming frequent & very heavy at times and could possibly merge into longer spells of snow. Widespread accumulations are likely, although some areas are likely to get more snow that others. 

ORANGE WEATHER WARNING IN PLACE FOR HEAVY SNOW, BLIZZARDS & ICE
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Issued : Tuesday 27/1/15 -10:00am
come into effect for : Wednesday 28/1/15 - 9:00am
Warning ends : Thursday 29/1/15 - 9:00pm
-----------------------------------------------------------------
ORANGE WARNING IN PLACE FOR 
- ULSTER : Donegal, Fermanagh, Derry, Tyrone, Antrim, Cavan, - Monaghan ,Armagh & Down.
- CONNACHT : Sligo, Letrim, Mayo, Galway & Roscommon.
- LEINSTER : Longford, Westmeath & Offaly.

A Orange weather warning is in place for Heavy snowfall and blizzard conditions. The north, west and midlands can expect accumulations of snow between 10cm and 20cm with up to 30cm on high ground. With this cold front there will also be strong winds creating blizzard conditions along with big snowdrifts, gusts of 50km/hr to 90km/hr can be expected.

Road networks and other travel networks look like the will be effected by these weather conditions causing dangerous driving conditions.

the power grid may also be effected due to build up of snow on some wires along with drifting.

It is important that you stay tuned to the weather forecast over the next few hours as there may be further changes to this warning.

YELLOW WEATHER WARNING ALSO IN PLACE FOR SNOW AND ICE LEINSTER & MUNSTER

Edited by ronan
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Had a quick scan through a few forecasts, think I'll just wait and see what happens tomorrow as downgrades to rain becoming a bit of a theme!!

Where u seeing these? BBC forecast 15 minutes ago continues to show heavy snow showers from late tomorrow morning right through to Thursday evening.

• Like 2

Posted

yeahh just seen the 9pm update! the automated pictures are showing a completely different picture than the video forcast! although i remember the last snow event was similar

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Ironically the BBC app has now upgraded next three days to snow days for me!

post-23159-0-50746200-1422394372_thumb.p

Edited by Sperrin