Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Chat

A.J

Posted

Donegal Weather Channel.......

ORANGE WARNING IN PLACE FOR 
- ULSTER : Donegal, Fermanagh, Derry, Tyrone, Antrim, Cavan, - Monaghan ,Armagh & Down.
- CONNACHT : Sligo, Letrim, Mayo, Galway & Roscommon.
- LEINSTER : Longford, Westmeath & Offaly. 

A Orange weather warning is in place for Heavy snowfall and blizzard conditions. The north, west and midlands can expect accumulations of snow between 10cm and 20cm with up to 30cm on high ground. With this cold front there will also be strong winds creating blizzard conditions along with big snowdrifts, gusts of 50km/hr to 90km/hr can be expected.

Road networks and other travel networks look like the will be effected by these weather conditions causing dangerous driving conditions.

the power grid may also be effected due to build up of snow on some wires along with drifting.

It is important that you stay tuned to the weather forecast over the next few hours as there may be further changes to this warning.

• Like 6

Posted

Northern IrelandWeather :D im getting excited :)  hope for loads of snow in Antrim. 

An Early Amber warning of Heavy Snow & Blizzards has been issued for Northern Ireland.

For the second time ever, and the second time already this year we are issuing an early Amber warning. 

As a cold front moves southeast across the country on Tuesday it will introduce much colder conditions behind across NI and from the early hours of Wednesday frequent and heavy showers are expected widely across the country, these will turn readily to sleet and snow, not just on the hills but to low levels. 

The sleet and snow showers are expected to continue throughout Wednesday, overnight and into Thursday, becoming frequent & heavy and could possibly merge into longer spells of snow. Widespread accumulations are likely, although some areas are likely to get more snow that others. Accumulations of 5 - 10 cm are possible almost anywhere away from coastal areas. 10 - 20cm possible for areas that see longer spells of snow, and up to 30cm or more for areas with elevation.

High winds are also likely to accompany the heavy snow leading to blizzard conditions in many areas, this creating an additional hazard.

Warnings will be issued Tomorrow and Tuesday, the public are advised to stay tuned to latest forecasts and warnings, especially if you are due to travel. We are anticipating disruption, especially to air travel along with problems to Road & rail travel. There could also be interruptions to power supplies with heavy snow combined with high winds allowing snow to build up on power lines.

post-7789-0-25084200-1422324409_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Posted

Now thats a warning! Been a while since i seen any warnings like this! Really hope we all do well out of this! Our wee Ireland thread will be buzzing from Wednesday evening on!

• Like 1

Posted

10cm plus would meet the red criteria for snow from the Irish met if they go along with those predictions. Red criteria= 9cm or more , 9cm is a bit excessive for red ha.

They had orange last week and Donegal had well in excess of 20cm in parts.

I doubt they will go for red because of the hysteria it brings with it. Probably play it safe and keep it orange with accumulations of up to 8cm. Exciting times ahead

Edited by -Bomber-
  • Like 3

Posted

Very surprised that Met Eireann hasn't come on board sooner. Expect them to jump on the wagon tomorrow and also expect the Met Office to upgrade to Amber. Fully agree with you about last weeks snow! Think there was more snow than they anticipated for Donegal/Derry.

• Like 3

Mmmmm. Met eireann and bbc newsline going for up to 3 cms! Met office warning and national weather going for 5-10 cms in low lying areas. Northern Ireland weather on facebook even more!! Who will be right. ? Huge difference on estimates! Somebody will look stupid. Will met office change there predictions to fall into line with the lessees totals! O the tension!

Posted

Mmmmm. Met eireann and bbc newsline going for up to 3 cms! Met office warning and national weather going for 5-10 cms in low lying areas. Northern Ireland weather on facebook even more!! Who will be right. ? Huge difference on estimates! Somebody will look stupid. Will met office change there predictions to fall into line with the lessees totals! O the tension!

Met Eireann usually go conservative and upgrade their warnings closer the time. I would expect they will go Amber for Donegal and the north west tomorrow morning/afternoon. I think the showers will be fairly widespread so even hope down here.

• Like 1

Posted

Yeah. I think the north west will do well again. Not convinced at all anywhere in east will see that much I'm afraid. Hope I'm wrong though.

Posted

Met eireann only have up to 3 cms. Not much really. I await met office update with intrigue to see if it's change. Huge differences between weather sites on estimates!

Posted

Met eireann only have up to 3 cms. Not much really. I await met office update with intrigue to see if it's change. Huge differences between weather sites on estimates!

Blanket Yellow warning for every county. Upgrade in warning for NW regions this evening. That's my hunch

Posted

Hi I was wondering do youse think north louth will get ant snow this time. Have only had dusting so far this winter. Thanks

I wouldn't expect more than a dusting again. In a North Westerly, with a swift movement you can expect a few showers to make it over, but generally by the time they reach SE Ulster NE Leinster they peter out. All depends on the luck of the draw on how fast it moves and the overall instability. You'll learn lots just watching the radar on the day if the showers persist or not. Note by Saturday or Sunday more northerly flow means the mountains get in your way. You'll see snow out to sea, very frustrating. Sometimes an easterly fetch can set in and you might be lucky with that later in the weekend. However the good side to all this in the summer is you live in one of the driest places in the country so not all bad.

• Like 1

Posted

Ahh Im soooo confused lol.   So many different estimated amounts.  Who is right.

Posted

Jello so am i! Lol. Angie on forecasting 3cms whilst Carol on the BBC news weather saying 5-10cms, Met Eireann going for 3cms. Donegal Weather Channel and Northern Ireland Weather saying up to 20cms with maybe 30cms in places. Definitely confusing! In an unstable flow like we are going to get i don't think any of them really know. Will be now casting at its best over the next day or 2.

• Like 1

Posted

Jello so am i! Lol. Angie on forecasting 3cms whilst Carol on the BBC news weather saying 5-10cms, Met Eireann going for 3cms. Donegal Weather Channel and Northern Ireland Weather saying up to 20cms with maybe 30cms in places. Definitely confusing! In an unstable flow like we are going to get i don't think any of them really know. Will be now casting at its best over the next day or 2.

Its mad, how can there be such a big difference?   Are they not reading the models correctly, are some sugarcoating it, or just tricking us so we get excited or just mess with our heads.  Im gona go for my own forecast look out the window, although I reckon some places will get a good dumping, 15cm or more I reckon where the heavier showers are.  it will be now casting your right and radar and lamp post watching 

• Like 3

Posted

Think the problem is that any showers coming in are coming on a very strong wind so will just rattle on through but where the showers merge, which is very hard to forecast then that will be the areas that will do really well. Think that's what happened in my area last week, we were just on the right line for showers and at times they merged and gave quite lengthy spells of snow. Just really a case of keeping an eye on the radar tomorrow.