Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Chat

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Aren't they just computer generated forecasts? I am assuming the BBC use them to inform their weather app which is crap at showing spells of snow. Look at the dew points, 850s etc. on Euro4 model. These show snow for for vast majority of Ireland by late afternoon on Wednesday.

post-23159-0-09415700-1422300979_thumb.g

post-23159-0-72560100-1422300985_thumb.g

• Like 2

Posted

At least Frank was a bit more animated about it on the UTV weather lol Here you go labane, looking good even for Cork, in fact nearly for the whole of Ireland

Thanks looks like we have a good chance alright. Nothing compared to up north though. Hopefully there won't be any downgrades.

Edited by labane1977
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

One thing that is not mentioned much is the albedo effect that will surely be felt in those regions that retain some snow cover as showers will be most active in the evenings and the lucky ones with enough snow cover and mountain valleys will see temperatures plummet when skies clear and winds slacken I expect Saturday and Sunday night to be bitter and as winds wear northerly.

• Like 3

Just watched bara best on newsline. Unless things have changed considerable since the met office warning that's the most ridiculous forecast Iv ever watched !!! I mean a "RISK" of a few cms on high ground and a chance on low ground. There was hardly even any showers shown on the map!! He's either going to look a complete idiot or a legend! I don't think it will be the former! The 5 day forecast even showed temps of 6 degrees and I think rain or sleet. Ok ! Rant over. I'm just in disbelief to be honest.

• Like 3

Posted

Just watched bara best on newsline. Unless things have changed considerable since the met office warning that's the most ridiculous forecast Iv ever watched !!! I mean a "RISK" of a few cms on high ground and a chance on low ground. There was hardly even any showers shown on the map!! He's either going to look a complete idiot or a legend! I don't think it will be the former! The 5 day forecast even showed temps of 6 degrees and I think rain or sleet. Ok ! Rant over. I'm just in disbelief to be honest.

Ignore it BBC showed big snow showers pilling into Ireland corresponding with models. Some will get a considerable fall, no worries about that - there will be big variation... Ireland is a big place. :D

• Like 4

Cheers Daniel. Didn't see that one. Just our local forecast which made the whole projected 5-10cms by the met office look like they were on the "booze" when they issued it!! It was a very strange forecast indeed. Even had the odd bit of rain knocking about!

• Like 1

Posted

The week ahead forecast on BBC was a thing of beauty! Looks like we'll be hit hard! Showing heavy snow right across the country, even to the east coast.

• Like 4

Posted

The week ahead forecast on BBC was a thing of beauty! Looks like we'll be hit hard! Showing heavy snow right across the country, even to the east coast.

That really is a thing of beauty! Classic winter weather on the way so enjoy! Maybe a chance of a polar low popping up over the weekend from that northerly! Link for anyone that hasn't seen it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/30995308

• Like 4

Posted

My stag do is on this weekend in Carlingford. What's the chances of a freak snow event on the east coast on Sunday? We'll just have to stay on drinking...dam it!

Edited by Sperrin
  • Like 2

Posted

I'm slightly confused by the BBC weather fc. They have temps of 5-6c over NI for Wed-sat. I know temperatures can drop in the showers but if it's widely fc to reach 5-6 degrees then why the snow warning as it would melt in no time. Surely it's bound to be colder than that?

Edited by -Bomber-
  • Like 1

Posted

Def a bit different than bara best's forecast ronan!!! Good link. Thanks for that

No problem bud. Should build the confidence of some members. Also i fully expect an orange warning to be issued tomorrow. Its not to often you hear in a forecast 'SCOTLAND AND NORTHERN IRELAND BARING THE BRUNT OF THE SNOW'. Excellent stuff!

• Like 2

Posted

I'm slightly confused by the BBC weather fc. They have temps of 5-6c over NI for Wed-sat. I know temperatures can drop in the showers but if it's widely fc to reach 5-6 degrees then why the snow warning as it would melt in no time. Surely it's bound to be colder than that?

Bomber if its the online automated forecast then take no heed. It will change.

Posted

Bifurcated jet!!!! nice knock back on the model thread Rochey :)

Cheers… Am a regular on there, and he had seen that word used once by one of the regular pros… And he hasn't stopped using it since!!! Every other post he's used it. Trying to sound more than he is!!! :-)

I just had to call him out!!! Much like the "Shannon Entropy" buzz that rattled around MOD after Fergieweather used it once last year!!!

Anyway, potential for some of my first decent snowfall since 2010 in the coming week. I can't wait!!! :-)

• Like 5

Posted

I'm also confused, just saw 10.30 weather on BBC and showed only a couple of blobs of precip and 6 degrees?!

Doesn't look as good as 2 weeks ago;(

Edited by Sparky72
  • Like 1

Posted

Couple of weeks ago the temps were predicted days in advance very accurately, some of us had snow other dry with frost, surely the predicted temps are much higher this time any snow lying will be wet and melt very quickly!

Surely Sunday Monday should be better when have a direct northerly

Posted

Saw this on Twitter earlier. Fergie mentions the apparent higher temps being moderated by massive wind chill. Dew points looking very low as well so hopefully conducive to holding the snow cover until the real cold floods in this weekend.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=755720704523075&id=102814153147070&refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FELq0zxpKMK&_rdr

• Like 2

Posted

Place your bets time. How Many CM of snow do you think the favoured spots will get this time? Not talking about mountain tops either ha

The winner gets Bara Best's job so it's win win all round..

Edited by -Bomber-
  • Like 4