Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Chat

A.J

Posted

o0o0o this sounds promising 

Outlook until Friday.

Becoming colder and windy on Wednesday, frequent and heavy showers likely, these turning increasingly to sleet and snow giving accumulations. Turning even colder from Thursday with winds coming from the Arctic. Risk of further heavy falls of snow overnight into Friday, possibly becoming widespread with risk of significant falls in places.

http://tinyurl.com/or3qgqc

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Feeling very relaxed about this upcoming snow event. Usually I'd be up high doe checking forecasts every half an hour! The deep, long lying snow earlier this month has settled my nerves big time. Hopefully you guys out east get more luck this time!

• Like 2

Posted

o0o0o this sounds promising 

Outlook until Friday.

Becoming colder and windy on Wednesday, frequent and heavy showers likely, these turning increasingly to sleet and snow giving accumulations. Turning even colder from Thursday with winds coming from the Arctic. Risk of further heavy falls of snow overnight into Friday, possibly becoming widespread with risk of significant falls in places.

http://tinyurl.com/or3qgqc

Haven't seen an update like that since the great snow of March 2012.

Looking forward to radar watch starting Wednesday morning. My only concern is that I get to work but can't get home!

• Like 3

Posted

If the precipitation charts are to be beleived we could be looking at a 36hr snow event nearly the whole of Ireland.

From MetO 'Over Scotland and Northern Ireland 5-10 cm is likely even at low levels, with more than 10 cm over high ground'

Things could get interesting. 

Wednesday drive to work looks ok......drive home......hmmmmmmmmm.

• Like 1

Posted

Everyone far too happy on this thread so I'll be a bit grumpy and jealous. Winds r going to be too strong for us on the coast to get much lying snow!

I'm worried the jealousy might kill me :(

Seriously though looking very good for everyone inland :)

• Like 1

Posted

My reading of things at the minute is that Wednesday Thursday are the snowy days, thereafter into the start of February high pressure taking control therefore anywhere with lying snow could well have it lying for quite some time? Maybe am wrong about the high pressure?

• Like 2

Posted

do you guys think bangor will do well out of this set up?

Just depends how far inland showers push. As i mentioned earlier features can form out of nowhere in these setups so anywhere could see snow. I would say best bet for seeing plenty of snow would be NW down into Mid Ulster.

• Like 2

Posted

Do you think we will fair well in the east this time mountain shadow?

Yes.

The winds are more NNW/NW than NW/W than the last spell so the showers should make it to the East coast more regularly. In addition to the showers the Fax charts seem to show a few troughs which would indicate more prolonged spells of the white stuff.

I see it as Wednesday/Thursday for the heavier stuff with the weekend remaining cold with a few snow showers. Things remain cold next week and if the High pressure builds over us then it will be very frosty where there is lying snow. After that, the jury is out but perhaps a more significant block into mid month.

do you guys think bangor will do well out of this set up?

It will see snow, but Bangor's coastal location does not help in it sticking. The hills behind Bangor should do very well.

• Like 3

Posted

Quiet in here guys given what's on the way!

12z tonight from GFS and UKMO hold the Northerly airstream in place until at least Tuesday of next week with increasing signs that the Atlantic may not topple in.

• Like 3

Posted

Its definitely quiet but come Wednesday it will be a different storey. Whoes doing an all nighter with me this time? Lol. Must head in to the model thread now and catch up on things.

*Edit*........IT'S ACTUALLY A PLEASURE READING THE MODEL THREAD THIS EVENING! Lol

Edited by ronan
  • Like 3

Posted

Starting to feel that something special is on the horizon as we head in to February. Ridging in the Atlantic seems to be getting better with each run. Of course this can just as easily flatten but we won't know until the shortwave issue is resolved. Very interesting times ahead.

Edited by ronan
  • Like 3

Posted

Barra Best didn't make much of the snow in that fc. He didn't even mention 5-10cm snow totals in the warning that has been issued. You can't beat Angie or Cecila lol

I'll not even tell you what I think of Barra Best! Lol

• Like 5

Posted

At least Frank was a bit more animated about it on the UTV weather lol

it should be good for people throughout the island of Ireland particularly those in the North and West. am down a good bit south but hoping for the best.

Here you go labane, looking good even for Cork, in fact nearly for the whole of Ireland

post-10430-0-95960400-1422299661_thumb.p

• Like 2

Posted

Barra's forecast there on bbc newsline wasn't the best I must say.  really should have mentioned the fact of 5 - 10 cm on the low levels.  The way he was putting it across made it seem like snow will mostly be for high ground and just a few cm here for low levels.  

I ain't a big fan of Barra to be honest lol.   We had a bit of a heated discussion on facebook, as he got the forecast very very incorrect on one of his facebook posts. and one of the random facebook weather pages got it 100% correct.  So I mentioned that and he took the strop and said none of the weather facebook pages are official and scare monger.     I agree that some many talk rubbish but they were very accurate and have been over the past years that I have followed them.  He wasn't a happy bunny lol.

• Like 6

Posted

I know I probably shoudn't read into it to much by the met had downgraded forecast in my area to sleet and rain for most of Wednesday and Thursday!!

I would have thought at this stage it would have stayed same or even increased chances of snow!!

I may have to move to pomeroy!! Lol

• Like 1

Posted

Jello ye big bully ye :)

I know I probably shoudn't read into it to much by the met had downgraded forecast in my area to sleet and rain for most of Wednesday and Thursday!!

I would have thought at this stage it would have stayed same or even increased chances of snow!!

I may have to move to pomeroy!! Lol

Don't talk weegaz they have me back to sleet for both days again, don't worry it will change another hundred times between now and then lol

Posted

Hoping Belfast gets a good covering. I live on the Castlereagh hills facing the city - facing West...I'm hoping this means i'll get a good enough covering up my way. In work on Wednesday but could be interesting getting home up my hill ... here's hoping .. have missed the drama .. love watching everyone go into hysterics about it .. people in the office - ''oooo I'll not make it home it's so bad .. etc. ..etc..'' .. I love it .. take it as it comes, nothing we can change about it so enjoy it while it lasts. Haven't seen much snow this year so hoping for something good. 

I'm by no means educated on how to read models etc, so I really appreciate you guys who can read the models and give people like me an insight in lamens terms.. 

Best of luck everyone for this snow event!! Hope you all get a bit of a covering  ... especially those that have seen no/minimal snow this year..

• Like 6