Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Chat

A.J

Posted

While I do think the 91 knots was a mistake (synop reports the gust as 41 m/s), to say that it should be the same as in the METAR gust is wrong. 

Synop gusts refer to the previous hour, while METAR gusts refer to the preceding 10 minutes. Therefore in this case (18Z report) it is possible that there was a massive strong gust (but not 91 kt) some time in the periods 1700Z-1720Z and 1730Z-1750Z. The METAR (1730Z and 1800Z) gusts were taken from the periods 1720Z-1730Z and 1750Z-1800Z, respectively. It is, of course, also possible that both METAR and synop reported gusts are the same if the gust occured during the METAR periods.

[/pedantic]

Edited by Su Campu
  • Like 1

Posted

Serious wind this morning again and through the night.  Temps have dropped from 8 degrees last night to 3 degrees this morning.

Rain on radar showing as sleet covering many parts coming from the north west.  From approx 11pm onwards tonight metO showing rain turning to sleet and then snow for the early hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

bleedin wind kept me awake most of the night, my bedroom is facing south west direction. knackered but intrigued.

Edited by stormforce 10
  • Like 1

Posted

Well, slept right threw the storm, didn't seem to bad.

So from this evening we enter at least a 7 day cold spell with harsh frosts and snow. As ever with the white stuff, some will get a pile and some none at all, but Northern and Western areas favoured as ever.

If we're lucky an Atlantic front may move in from the West later in the period and stall somewhere giving a mountain of stuff on the lucky few.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

Well, slept right threw the storm, didn't seem to bad.

So from this evening we enter at least a 7 day cold spell with harsh frosts and snow. As ever with the white stuff, some will get a pile and some none at all, but Northern and Western areas favoured as ever.

If we're lucky an Atlantic front may move in from the West later in the period and stall somewhere giving a mountain of stuff on the lucky few.

it really was a mild blip, this storm passing through, business as usual later on.

• Like 2

Posted

Definitely an interesting week coming up, what are the risks with the weather front mentioned on Monday, will it be cold enough for all or just higher elevations?

• Like 1

Posted

Pretty wild out there today. Loving this weather that we are getting. It's amazing the amount of snow on the ground yesterday and now all gone but the forecast is looking good. With regards to the model thread, some people in there really need to get a grip of themselves in there. I think expectations are just being set to high!

• Like 1

Posted

I would say from this evening onwards we could be looking at wintery showers once these winds start to die down and the wind direction changes more northerly.

MetO where showing light snow showers for tomorrow am at my location but have upgraded it to heavy snow for a 3hr period.  Monday onwards certainly looks interesting.

For Ballina tomorrow so hopefully the weather is cold and snowy along with the pints and the bar warm!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Dry and bright here this morning and of course windy. A band of precip isnt too far away from me looking at the radar,coming down from the northwest,should be here soon.

Current temp 4.4c.

• Like 1

Posted

Definitely an interesting week coming up, what are the risks with the weather front mentioned on Monday, will it be cold enough for all or just higher elevations?

As the Met Eirrean forecast says, its just difficult to tell at this stage. Two big positives are that there will already be a cold pool in place and that the cold air is mixing out the mild sector quite quickly. So, for lower lying areas, any precipitation might start as snow, turn to sleet/rain then turn back to snow, but it is impossible to tell at this stage.

Posted

Some serious winds in Antrim the past few hours.  Haven't seen it this bad in a good while, to be honest I believe an amber warning should have been issued.   Very heavy sleet at the minute, briefly turns to snow 

• Like 1

Posted

Some serious winds in Antrim the past few hours.  Haven't seen it this bad in a good while, to be honest I believe an amber warning should have been issued.   Very heavy sleet at the minute, briefly turns to snow

As far as I remember, Met É extended the warning until tea time today for your area and it was Orange status??
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow

Rain /sleety rain here atm in that band,very blustery.

Temp got up to 5.1 just before the precip arrived,now down to 3.2c

Posted

Just absolutely lashed down in Belfast City Centre, bouncing about a foot back into the air.

Well thats the cold front through now. From now on, precipitation should be wintry for the foreseeable future.

• Like 4

Posted

Not looking like that much in way of snow for coming couple of days (I don't think it needs a weather warning )

But at least should get wintry showers and frosty nights.

Why do you think that? temps will drop and heavy showers forecast most of which will be wintry and hopefully snow!

• Like 5

Posted

Sparky has a point, I don't think there will be disruptive snow until the slider lows move in Monday/ Tuesday.

Some parts along the North and West coasts may prove an exception though.

• Like 2