Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Rest Of Northern England Regional Weather Chat

A.J

Posted

It's really surprised me this year how we have continually avoided any significant heat while most other places including Scotland have been at least very warm a few times.Highest so far is just 23.7C on the 12th of July.The main reason seems to be a tendency for a touch of easterly-ness in the winds

Today is similar I suspect anywhere near the North Sea won't beat 25CWe haven't had the high minimums either with a comfortable 11.4C last night 

Posted

Usual state of proceedings whenever anything comes up from the south be it snow, heat or storms by the time it tracks up here it tends to have run out of steam and fizzles into nothing. should be a more testing day for the golf though with a stronger wind today

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

True this, it would take a heat wave of epic proportions to deliver notable heat and thunderstorms even to the south of the region. Today looks warm but not hot for most of the region. Mild and humid tomorrow

Edited by SP1986

Depends what you call hot, it should be a match for yesterday. Tomorrow will be a bit cooler but still warm. Sunday/Monday will be cooler generally but particularly for the NW over some other regions because of flow from the northwest, before the tables are turned with flow from the east for a while.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Thundering here now

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

really? Surprising as the CAPE is dead... it was a little drizzle in the night here as the remenants moved over, nasty cloud. Sunny now. The one thing I didn't expect which seems to have materialised, is now fresh it would feel. I thought it would feel humid today, but it feels as it would after a cold front has moved over ie fresh, cool and pleasant.

Interitus, yes western areas do get a wedge of cooler, fresher air, as the cold front moves eastwards and northwards, dragging in a fresher westerly oriented air flow. 

So a pleasant, typical summery outlook for the west of Northern England.. about average. Pleasant.

Edited by SP1986

Posted

I don't consider it to be hot until 25C and above, although humidity and windspeeds make a huge difference.Here in a good summer we can get many days of 25C+ despite having a bit of altitude.The main thing this year is the high pressure cells have almost always been in somewhat unusual positions and rarely delivered air from the South or South East - until the present spell which still does little this far north.

Posted

It's really surprised me this year how we have continually avoided any significant heat while most other places including Scotland have been at least very warm a few times.Highest so far is just 23.7C on the 12th of July.The main reason seems to be a tendency for a touch of easterly-ness in the winds

Today is similar I suspect anywhere near the North Sea won't beat 25CWe haven't had the high minimums either with a comfortable 11.4C last night 

Tell me about it, we've been stuck in an easterly rut since March now pretty much. Today is a fine example, many areas inland are forecast to reach 28-30C, while here we'll be lucky to make 22C (its currently 18.5C). Its a double-edged sword aswell as the easterlies have done a fine job of adding stability to the atmosphere and efficiently killing off all convection meaning we've missed out on almost every batch of thunderstorms so far this year.

Posted

Not really bothered about missing the storms could do without the power getting knocked off as I have tropical fish

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

After heavy rain this morning about 6am and then a brief thunderstorm about 9.15am it has shaped up nicely here, sunny with the occasional hazy bits and 26/27.2c, humidity 40%. Been sky watching all morning, and living in hope for later

Posted

I'm sure the cloud was meant to have broken by now, low cloud misty, strong breeze, far from hot.  Warmish but not hot.  Without that vital ingredient, i'm not sure we'll get much of a lightning show tonight.  South will get all the fun.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

I had a good day today. I had a long walk through Cuerden Park, then I rode my bike around the estate with 3 laps. That is enough exercise for the day!!

:) :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Not the best attempt at the hottest day of the year I've seen.

Obviously others have sweltered but a mainly cloudy day here with a nagging wind and even though the last couple of hours have seen a hazy sun appear, it was to late for temperatures to respond.

Currently at 21.5c, the warmest it's been all day but 3c down on yesterday.

Posted

We only reached 18.9C, but after a burst of rain early afternoon the afternoon was warmish were it not for the strong east wind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Out and about at 5 in the morning, hopefully just as the storms set in up here.

That's if they actually reach this far north.

Posted

Although I won't be popular for saying it, and I'll probably criticised, the energy for tomorrow is not going to be enough to give storms to our region. Normally 700-900j/kg, an LI of -4 would be enough to initiate storms, but the problem is I feel, the high energy is to the south of our region, and because the energy is waning as you move north and west, the cells will probably die, as they will not be able to sustain the energy. 

So I would say, chance is a fine thing, however there will be heavy rain in the south. 

As for thundery chances, Im going to stick my head out and say very slim though higher chance over hillier areas?

Edited by SP1986

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Still very muggy though! 22 degrees here.

• Like 1

Posted

A sticky 19.8c, humidity 69% here, very still, no wind whatsoever. The sky is cloudless apart from the odd fluffy bit floating around. Off to bed windows and blinds open, will get a few hours sleep just in case (I am trying not to get excited, glass half full type of person)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Well it started on merseyside. like blackpool illuminations!!!

• Like 1

Posted

Frequent lightning and thunder here too, woken aslumber by almighty thunderclap. Rain torrential st times

• Like 1

Posted

Frequent lightning and thunder here too, woken aslumber by almighty thunderclap. Rain torrential st times

Same here mate, had the alarm set at 4.15 for a 5 o'clock drive but was woken with the storm at 3.45.Sounds to be right overhead now with almost constant thunder and torrential rain.
  • Like 2

Posted

Have I missed anything? Slept like a log :nonono:

Posted

Have I missed anything? Slept like a log :nonono:

Looking at the forecast I immagine that they'll be more to come.Tremendous storm here before it came light but nothing, apart from a bit of rain since.
  • Like 1