Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland & The Far North Of England Regional Weather Chat

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

We are certainly 'in the mix' this winter.

Something I have observed over the last few winters, is that the timeframe predicted by the models usually is a bit closer than when the cold actually materialises.

On this occasion, that can only be a good thing as good set-ups in two weeks time will not be as cold as say 4-6 weeks.

It does look like we could see at least a brief flirtation with some significant cold before November is over, we shall see if that cold has any longevity and/or severity :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Accuweather not going for that much of a cold winter here:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/europe-winter-2014-2015-forecast-snow-cold/36777733

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Accuweather not going for that much of a cold winter here:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/europe-winter-2014-2015-forecast-snow-cold/36777733

I trust AccuLSS more.

Down to 5 C oot now. Fire a regular feature.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

There's bickering in the model output thread which can only mean one thing.

WINTER IS NEARLY HERE! :)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I'm not going to venture in there unless I have to, I've got enough childishness to contend with without that too.

It not too bad so far because at the moment although the models look promising its all 'potential'. Its once you either get a few days from an easterly which then vanishes, or god forbid, into Feb with no snow, that it really kicks off.

Lovely sunny morning here, with a slight frost. Much better than yesterdays rain soaked gloom. No idea what the exact overnight low was as I didn't reset the max/min on the weather station but no lower than -1.1C. Was still sitting at 0.4C around 8:30.

Posted

Morning all,

Bright sunny start to the day, temperature currently 7c, overnight low was 4c.

Posted

Rain's not far away although it looks like a brief period........then a gap before another dollop comes in a while

Posted

Had a lovely bright  frosty start but it's gone downhill as the day progressed. Now it's just miserable with a lead sky and steady rain. 2.43pm  and I've got the light on :cray:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

ECH1-240.GIF?08-0

ECH0-240.GIF?08-0

:cold:

Certainly looks good, just one possible outcome but the chances of getting blocking in place over Greenland-Iceland is growing. If that does come off, setups like this will start to crop up more and more in the reliable and eventually the cold will come...

• Like 3

Posted

Fine day here after overnight rain with blue skies and sunshine. Clear skies currently  1c  and crunchy grass sparkling in the car headlights, shaded parts of the side roads very slippy, first of the winter.

Posted

Temp dropping like a stone up north.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Great stuff both charts and reports....feels like winter properly beginning....just needs this thread to have 2-4 pages a day to make it really winter.....will need to go into the MT to see if the building blocks still forming

I'm getting married on November 29th so looking for a white wedding....and as we have 4kids won't be the non snow kind....

• Like 4

Posted

One of those evocative late autumn evenings when temperatures suddenly take a drop as dusk settles in a misty murky air.

I like November to produce cold frosty nights, but the outlook is a very unsettled frost free one here, though temps tonight will get close to frost levels. North Scotland should easily see a frost.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

Steve Murr is excited on the MO thread, so there must be some cold rain on the way 2 weeks from now :closedeyes:

• Like 1

Posted

Fine day here after overnight rain with blue skies and sunshine. Clear skies currently  1c  and crunchy grass sparkling in the car headlights, shaded parts of the side roads very slippy, first of the winter.

0c now and ice starting to form on the puddles. Will help to dry up some of the mud and surface water  and  great for knocking down the very strong green tops of the turnips off to make for easier harvesting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Great stuff both charts and reports....feels like winter properly beginning....just needs this thread to have 2-4 pages a day to make it really winter.....will need to go into the MT to see if the building blocks still forming

I'm getting married on November 29th so looking for a white wedding....and as we have 4kids won't be the non snow kind....

I'd steer clear at the moment - it's the usual mess in there, people TOORPing about downgrades that haven't even happened yet :laugh:

This is an interesting post though, and sets out where we're maybe heading longer term

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/81567-stratosphere-temperature-watch-20142015/page-14#entry3066608 

Anyway, very good charts tonight, including the best ensemble mean we've had since March 2013:

EDH1-240.GIF?09-0

The initial easterly doesn't look all that cold but hints that, perhaps, we might get enough of a cold pool through from Scandi to make things interesting:

ECU0-192.GIF?09-0

After that (if we get to that stage) it's a battle between Arctic air to the north and the Atlantic to the west - who will win?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

-1'C here with freezing fog creeping in!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Foggy here

Posted

Foggy morning in Crail, currently 5.4c. Leuchars also reporting fog, 2c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

A decent enough weekend here. Saturday saw some sun at times and actually felt warm when it was out, but it felt cold when it wasn't and the breeze got going. Sunday was better, with blue skies and sun for a lot of the day and dead calm, at least it was in the late afternoon when I walked the dog (lovely walk, if still a little squishy under foot).

Sunday's clear skies led to a low of -2.5C overnight, the lowest I think I've seen it here this 'winter' so far. An obvious frost on the grass and the first time I've needed to scrape the car. Just as well I took the time yesterday to put the scrapers and de-icer back in the car. I hope they will be getting used much more often this year!

Edited by Ravelin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Morning all.
Well I guess it's time to (hopefully) climb aboard the roller coaster again! Things do appear to be looking interesting as winter begins.

Good luck for your big day Edo.....Glad to read that the kids' headcount is still the same as last year! :laugh:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Morning all

Lovely to be back at such an interesting time!! I'm never out of the MT must be winter

Lovely to hear of your upcoming wedding Edo, hope that a lovely( little)snowfall arrives.

Looking wet for the South and west this week. Friday the rain will reach here.

So looking forward to being back to the winter fun of the regional thread.