Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland & The Far North Of England Regional Weather Chat

A.J

Posted

Radar suggest 400mm plus in the past 48 hours for the mountains of north and west Scotland!

Is there a link to that WS please that would be very interesting :)

Wind and temperature data are available from that weather station on Winterhighland on the Glencoe webcam page at http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/ . Precipitation totals aren't reported online as the type of weather station isn't able to measure snowfall. It's primary purpose is to monitor windspeed at the top of the upper ski tows at Glencoe.

I would not be surprised if mountains further up the coast have seen significantly higher totals - that is a frequent pattern in precipitation in SW flows.

Posted

The trend in the River Ness appears to have plateaued here in Inverness, it may well hold at that level though it could rise through Tuesday as water works its way through as there is mention in the forecasts that the heaviest rain will be overnight tonight before it finally clears early Tuesday. Though some prone areas have flooded and as Coaster mentioned above the saving grace is that this is autumn, not winter and there isn't a substantial volume of snow on on the mountains.

It will however not have been what the snow patches needed! :(

Posted

Only the 45% get to post in the independent Scottish thread.

It's hidden to the rest.

:wink:

I voted Yes, so I am one of the 45%.

Much calmer today and we have a big Asian warming stretching the vortex. Fingers crossed it is the start of a trend.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Cloudy, dry, rather windy and incredibly mild feeling here today (16C@11am in Dyce). It'll be doing the 2 loads of washing I hung out this morning, while I waited on the engineer coming to fix the gas boiler, the world of good (although with my run of luck the last few days it'll probably get a soaking 5mins before I get home again).

Lets hope all the Vortex, OPI, QBO, El Nino stuff bears fruit this winter as I'm yearning for some cold. Oh and since we've just spent a fortune gearing up for our skiing holiday in France at the new year, a huge dump of snow in the Alps in Nov/Dec would be much appreciated.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Nowhere near as bad as I thought today would be. Only a little intermittent drizzle. Very mild at 15.7c

I'm quietly confident winter will put on a good show (maybe not in the 10 winters of all time or whatever) but a vast improvement on last year and will be better than the long-term average - for cold and snow of course...

Ravelin - the Alps on the other hand.... I've seen a couple posters (particularly the one who is based between the Alps and Sussex) state that early indications aren't good.

We shall see....

Edited by SW Saltire

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Nowhere near as bad as I thought today would be. Only a little intermittent drizzle. Very mild at 15.7c

I'm quietly confident winter will put on a good show (maybe not in the 10 winters of all time or whatever) but a vast improvement on last year and will be better than the long-term average - for cold and snow of course...

Ravelin - the Alps on the other hand.... I've seen a couple posters (particularly the one who is based between the Alps and Sussex) state that early indications aren't good.

We shall see....

It will be interesting to see how that pans out - the OPI page suggests that continental Europe is likely to see below average heights this winter, which is both good for us and bodes well for a cold winter there. However, it's possible that this won't really come into play until the New Year (December is in relative terms a colder month in Scotland than for most of continental Europe where lowland snowfall isn't all that common until January/February). As long as the Euro high shifts then I reckon there'll be enough snow for the Alps, albeit perhaps not any more than the seasonal average for early winter.

• Like 1

Posted

The the hotel is in La Plagne Centre, which sits 2000M up the mountain. Hopefully therefore by late Nov into Dec the only real risk of it not snowing won't be due to temperature but due to lack of precipitation. Always a risk you take when booking a Ski holiday, and with the wife being a teacher we're kind of limited to when we can go. Not an option to wait and pick up a late deal if and where conditions look good.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

The the hotel is in La Plagne Centre, which sits 2000M up the mountain. Hopefully therefore by late Nov into Dec the only real risk of it not snowing won't be due to temperature but due to lack of precipitation. Always a risk you take when booking a Ski holiday, and with the wife being a teacher we're kind of limited to when we can go. Not an option to wait and pick up a late deal if and where conditions look good.

Already looking decent up there after a snowfall last Wednesday:

http://laplagne.livecam360.net/rochedemio

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Has anyone checked up on the people of Fort William recently? Looks like it hasn't stopped raining there for at least 24 hours. 

Posted

Already looking decent up there after a snowfall last Wednesday:

http://laplagne.livecam360.net/rochedemio

I think that despite that cam supposedly being "live" that the image is from March. I think this one - http://www.laplagnet.com/la-plagne/webcams/grande-rochette is more likely to be the current situation but even that I'm not sure of. I did see one last week with snow on it, just a dusting though and I think it's all melted.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift

Still pouring with rain in Fort William and Lochaber area. Standing water on the A82 is bad.  Forecast to continue until tomorrow morning!  Loch Lochy is very high as are all the rivers so goodness knows what the drive to work tomorrow will be like. Had to dodge a large tree and minor landslip this morning but Bear Scotland are doing a splendid job of clearing up given the conditions.  Coupled with that the winds have got up again in Glengarry...time for a cosy fire me thinks.

• Like 5

Posted

Have just returned from a trip to the Glencoe area, very, very wet. Didn't stop raining for pretty much the entire weekend and looks like it's still raining!. Burns and waterfalls looking very impressive though. Gorgeous autumnal colours around too. Glad we didn't get stuck between the two landslides on the A82, headed up that way an hour after it happened. 

Posted

The Summit AWS on Meall a' Bhuiridh passed the 300mm mark since it started raining on Saturday evening at 10.30pm... the running total stands at 306mm. Biblical, that's a foot of rain in 2 and a bit days.

As for the mega snow storm I was imagining the other day, this might have moved into the territory of watch what you wish for!

Latest webcam view:

post-4009-0-26116300-1414453535_thumb.jp

Edited by skifreak
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Last night was hellish here. Rain battering the windows and wind gusting constantly. Cabin fever already .

Posted

Very wet here this morning and just 6c. Dreich November day.

Had twin calves yesterday who didn"t seem to know how to get a drink of milk so had to put each one individually on the cow while she was restrained as of course she had a very full udder and was very sore and kicking them off. This morning they still appear not to be drinking themselves so another day of asissting them seems likely until everyone gets the idea.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

And the good news is that the A82 is now open, but with traffic lights! At least it's open which is good as I'm heading down to Stirling for the weekend. The rain has finally stopped, the wind has dropped and I'm told the sun will come out later. BLISS! I don't know what the true rainfall was over the weekend, but my ash bucket has another four inches of water in it. Everything very soggy, and we have discovered another leak in the house.....

Posted

Horrendous weather most of the morning with the rain but wind's really dropped off (and rain just about stopped) should be a much better afternoon

Posted

Reports of a very soggy Greenock and Inverclyde across my Facebook this morning. A8 closed and various (normal) spots badly flooded.

Yeah we had a lot of rain overnight and this morning a lot of roads have been shut and trains cancelled.

Posted

It's been a bit wet here this morning as the front has moved through, but nothing near what other places have been getting.

At 7am in Dyce the wind was southerly and the temperature 14.6C, but by 11am the wind had switched to a North Westerly and the temperature had dropped to 8C. 13mm of rain between 6am and 11am but looking outside now it's pretty much stopped.

Posted

A final tally on the rainfall at the Summit of Meall a' Bhuiridh at Glencoe, by the time the frontal rain finally cleared this morning a total of 402mm of rainfall had been recorded since it started on Saturday evening. That's just shy of 16 inches of rain in 60 hours, crazy!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

There's a real defined back edge to the frontal rain cloud as it passes through with clear blue skies behind, lovely to see!

edit, blazing sunshine now :)

Edited by tempestwatch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Truly horrific morning and early afternoon.

Heavy rain became very heavy about 9am. This constant very heavy rain became torrential in bursts... So torrential that on a 60mph road (I normally drive too fast) I could barely achieve 30 mph. I'm not joking. I couldn't see more than 50 yards and couldn't see the white line in the middle of (not a minor) road

Of course the odd idiot was driving almost normal but it really was atrocious driving conditions with a lot of spray and puddles.

We had gotten off lightly compared with further north but today has made up for that.

A very mild 15c at 9am, slowly fell to 12 at about noon. It was still raining at half 2 when the temperature had dropped to 8c. Dried up by 3:30pm and it is currently 7.1c but humid so not feeling too chilly just yet.

Bad, bad, unusable day

Edit: a chilly 5.8c now

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

A final tally on the rainfall at the Summit of Meall a' Bhuiridh at Glencoe, by the time the frontal rain finally cleared this morning a total of 402mm of rainfall had been recorded since it started on Saturday evening. That's just shy of 16 inches of rain in 60 hours, crazy!

That's the sort of rainfall event I dream about.

Meanwhile the same front. having made its way south, has produced a whopping 1.8mm here up to 1800 and has fragmented into small areas of rain and drizzle.

Posted

Well its certainly feeling rather chilly outside here, currently 0.8/0.3C and still falling slowly.

Posted

A proper cold front today - an intense period of very heavy rain lasting about 3-4 hours before a marked drop in temps and sharp clearing of skies.

Tropical maritime air being displaced by polar maritime. We may see a ground frost overnight - always a good thing at this time of year, tomorrow will feel very different under the different airstream, but alas a short 24 hour window, we will soon be back in the mild mucky airstream, looking forward to the next cold front at the weekend to give it a good booting!

• Like 2