Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland & The Far North Of England Regional Weather Chat

A.J

Posted

Since 6pm yesterday there has been 111mm of rain on the Summit of Meall a' Bhuiridh (recorded by ultrasonic AWS) - shame it wasn't 5c colder at the Summit! That said this has a striking similarity to last winter, persistent heavy precipitation with accompanying high winds, though persistence of high winds rather than the peak speeds are what is noteworthy. If you apply the drop in average 850hpa temps from this time of year to mid winter to this synoptic situation, this would be the mother of all snow storms for Glencoe, a metre of snow in 14 hours with severe gale force SW winds! :yahoo:

Posted

That's the A82 closed due to a landslide at Loch Linnhe - diversion possible via Corran Ferry and single track roads around Loch Eil - that will be fun!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

What's all the fuss about?....

It has been drizzling here for about an hour, the precipitation has turned progressively heavier but nothing of real note yet.

A quite mild 13.5c

EDIT: I'm back in Dumfries for reading week, however, I'm sure Stirling (being further East) would be much the same

Edited by SW Saltire

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

A better Hoolie out there today than ex-Gonzalo..!

post-7292-0-20352700-1414323722_thumb.gi

• Like 2

Posted

That's the A82 closed due to a landslide at Loch Linnhe - diversion possible via Corran Ferry and single track roads around Loch Eil - that will be fun!

Corran Ferry off due to Ahem weather ! So it's the long way round via Dalwhinnie if yer so minded.

Posted

Posted in the Atlantic storm thread as well since mentions of the warning totals in there, but the Summit AWS at Glencoe Ski Area is now past 135mm of rainfall since 4pm yesterday!

Posted

I'd like to retract my earlier (hasty and poorly judged) comment.

Became much heavier about 12 and has remained so ever since. Pretty miserable although not too heavy yet. I wonder how early it will be dark tonight.... I imagine very as it's not that light right now!

Posted

I'm sorry this post is off-topic but I notice we have been merged with the North of England (Scotland) - and no disrespect to people in the North of England, of course. Very wet today. I wonder if we will see a repeat of November 2009 then the cold builds for mid December? The stratosphere is rapidly cooling just now particularly at the top of the stratosphere. No wave breaking forecast. Disappointing. December will be mild if there is no warming soon. Saying that, ozone over Canada and Alaska has been very persistent this month.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A rough 12hrs to come for you chaps/chapeses, Wish i was up there now as pretty bland down here..

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/highlands/382417/a82-closed-rain-gales-hit-north/

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

As Lorenzo points out winds have really got up. Leuchars reading mean of 41mph, gusting 59mph at 1pm so a good gale blowing here in NE Fife. It's been dry all day with a few sunny intervals thrown in.

Posted

It is wet at times here but not excessively so. Wind though is another matter. Strong gusts all day long

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Rain getting quite heavy here now. Been on and off all day.

Really, really dull. Got the lights on already, full hour before it will be dark.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

I'm sorry this post is off-topic but I notice we have been merged with the North of England (Scotland) - and no disrespect to people in the North of England, of course.

Only the 45% get to post in the independent Scottish thread.

It's hidden to the rest.

:wink:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

In the meantime, getting dark here now and it's only quarter to five. Man that hour makes the difference.

Was fairly dull here today and generally dry. Wind has picked up in the last few hours but just passing light splashes of rain; hills to the west taking the brunt. Mild at 13 °C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Been blowing like hell over here SS, all afternoon. Next door's washing took off a couple of hours ago and is probably in Norway now.

Posted

Pretty much dark now, wind is much stronger than earlier. Gusts mainly 45-55mph, one or two over 60. Rain is on and off but mainly on :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Feels like its been raining forever, so persistent is unreal.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

I am jealous, it's been blowy with the odd spot of rain here today. The only thing that's better than a good west of Scotland rainstorm is snow. I've felt quite homesick seeing it on the radar today :(

Ha ha! There's a reassuring familiarity about a full days rain here. Especially on a Sunday. Seems to be the favoured day for this weather to hit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

I am jealous, it's been blowy with the odd spot of rain here today. The only thing that's better than a good west of Scotland rainstorm is snow. I've felt quite homesick seeing it on the radar today :(

Come back, the weathers great!! :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Don't be too dejected, at least you don't live in the west and still it doesn't reach you!

Posted

From 7pm last night until 7pm tonight i have recorded 100.5mm of rain here in F.W.

No sign of the rain going off any time soon. This could well be the wettest spell in this town for several years....

The only glimmer of light with regards to flooding is the fact that there is no snow melt taking place on the mountains otherwise things could be a whole lot worse.

• Like 1

Posted

Interesting that even people from Fort William are admitting it's wet...it must be bad :D

Since 5pm on Saturday the accumulated rain total at the Summit of Meall a' Bhuiridh is 244mm!!

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Radar suggest 400mm plus in the past 48 hours for the mountains of north and west Scotland!

Since 5pm on Saturday the accumulated rain total at the Summit of Meall a' Bhuiridh is 244mm!!

Is there a link to that WS please that would be very interesting :)