Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland & The Far North Of England Regional Weather Chat

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Dry, sunny and breezy in Dyce at the moment, and let's check.........yep it looks the same in my back garden in Kemnay too. :good:

Do 'boys' ever grow out of the excitement of having new 'toys' (even if they were up until 12:30am last night trying to set up 'port forwarding' for the camera in their router)?

• Like 3

Posted

forecast wildly astray, showing 11-24mph,  my weather has been below 2mph for the last 5 hours :-(

Edited by Verglas

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Hi folks, I've returned from my annual netweather hibernation, which was extra long this year due to the referendum. I've got a new toy to play with as well, although I still haven't got round to getting it set up yet - a proper weather station with decent data logging software to boot. 

The early indicators this year are significantly better than last year - slight El Nino, negative QBO, decent ozone aided by the Icelandic volcano - so I'm hopeful but I will wait until the NH snow cover gain and the incredibly successful October Pattern Index comes in. Ice extent has been far greater than in 2012/13 as well, which actually doesn't bode so well for northerly blocking, but I'm unwilling to make any predictions just yet.

• Like 4

Posted

Nice to see you back LS though I'm not ready for winter just yet. It was a very pleasant 20c here in NE Fife this afternoon, quite likely the last 20c of the year...

I do wonder what this winter will bring. It was entirely snow-free here last year and the last snowfall of a cm or more in my garden was way back in Dec 2010. Only a few dustings since then. So in that sense I'm due!

• Like 2

Posted

I was shocked to see the car thermometer read 21C when I got into it after work today. "Nah, it'll drop once we get moving I thought". It did, down to 19C, which is still much warmer than its been for weeks around here im sure.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Just having my first peek of the winter and great to see LS doing likewise.....anyone know what BUS was on about??? as far as i can see its been the usual dead in here over summer months so was he just fed up or were there deleted posts???

seen first snow on my favourite kimmiruit webcam today which is the only one of my saved ones i have seen that on......... much as i love the weather the big kid in me selected a PS4 over the weather station so no new weather toys for me......thought the kids will get use of the PS4 and cant say they would het the same from a station......still i will invest in a simple temp/dewpoint station in next few weeks

looking fwd to seeing everyone reappear over next few weeks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Looking forward to your thoughts LS. I've been quietly lurking for the past few weeks.  :ninja:

Edo  :hi: I think BUS's comments were maybe connected to the scottish politics thread (total guess but i think its been a heated thread - though some really fab debating. Quite enjoyed reading!). Hopefully he will come back when there are some racy charts to be had!

Edited by over_the_rainbow
  • Like 1

Posted

Last of straw bales being gathered in by young Mr. Northernlights this afternoon so harvest home.Very windy tonight and this afternoon with warm sunshine up to 19c at 4.00pm.post-2744-0-72707300-1411682274_thumb.jp Fantastic crop of turnips/swedes in the foreground

A bit cooler when this photograph was taken a couple of days ago with the cliffs at Dunbeath visible in the clear air.post-2744-0-02479200-1411682302_thumb.jp

New bull bought in November was a very busy boy last winter as we are having a calf or two /day so am spending a lot of time making sure the calves  bond with their mothers. They are quality calves into the bargain. Putting them out onto some great fresh vividly green  grass which is stilll growing strongly

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 1

Posted

My weather station is currently showing 17.1C. At 11pm near the end of Sept that's kind of crazy!

Posted

My weather station is currently showing 17.1C. At 11pm near the end of Sept that's kind of crazy!

Descending wind off the Mountains  ? currently 15.9c here with a strong SW wind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Sunny but breezy just now, 14.3C.

Posted

Peak gust of 86mph not long after midnight last night at the Carpark at Glencoe Ski Area, would have been a bit wild on the A82 then as it's more exposed than the ski area base to SW winds which funnel round Meall a' Bhuiridh then rip across the A82 where the wind gets funnelled across the road a bit South of the ski area turn offer. Seen the snow gates closed a couple of times due high winds while the HGV's strewn about the moor are righted!

Posted

Observation from this evening in Inverness, the River Ness is running very low, it was notably low last Thursday and it's down further over the past week, now areas of dry bed appearing at the sides - it looks as if it drops a little bit more it may retreat into about a 1/4 to a 1/3rd of the width of the riverbed. I would say it must be close to the low points of 1995 and 2003 - when it looked as if it was close to reducing to a trickle in the middle of the river bed but never quite got that low.

[edit]

Might have to take that back - perhaps it looked lower in the dark, thought is really low it got down to 30cm at the gauging station at Ness-Side weir in 1995 its currently sitting a bit below 80cm on the gauge right at the bottom of the normal level range on SEPA's website.

Edited by skifreak

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Very breezy here today and yesterday. At work ATM so no idea what the wind speeds or temps are. Definitely colder today though after a really lovely September. What does the Autumn hold for us.....more wind, rain and dull, dull dull?

Posted

Observation from this evening in Inverness, the River Ness is running very low, it was notably low last Thursday and it's down further over the past week, now areas of dry bed appearing at the sides - it looks as if it drops a little bit more it may retreat into about a 1/4 to a 1/3rd of the width of the riverbed. I would say it must be close to the low points of 1995 and 2003 - when it looked as if it was close to reducing to a trickle in the middle of the river bed but never quite got that low.

[edit]

Might have to take that back - perhaps it looked lower in the dark, thought is really low it got down to 30cm at the gauging station at Ness-Side weir in 1995 its currently sitting a bit below 80cm on the gauge right at the bottom of the normal level range on SEPA's website.

Yes ground getting dry again here as well.     Was levelling combine tracks from "Bertha" yesterday and no sign of soft wet ground,amazing after the August we had after "Bertha"

Posted

[edit]

Yes ground getting dry again here as well.     Was levelling combine tracks from "Bertha" yesterday and no sign of soft wet ground,amazing after the August we had after "Bertha"

Its been a wet year in the main, and despite rivers and other watercourses being low for the time of year, it is not an indication of low groundwater levels and reservoirs - these are preety healthy.

In these parts rivers are very fast flowing, a deluge can turn rivers into raging torrents, 24 hours later they can be a trickle. I have a beck at the bottom of my garden, which is never particularly deep - but when we have heavy rain it turns into a mountain of water..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Yes, it has been particularly dry in recent weeks (even the summer as a whole) and the ground is a bit on the dry side. However, recent rain has eased the situation.

What is very noticeable is how the altitude of the sun has changed in the last 2-4 weeks. I was occasionally blinded by the sun on my journey south from Stirling.

Despite this temperatures (maxes) have almost always been in the 15-20 range since the start of August (barring a couple warmer days).

Great for outdoor activity and it has also been a brilliant extension of summer.

4 weeks from now and we really will be heading to winter proper (daylight anyway).

Bring it on :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Looking forward to your thoughts LS. I've been quietly lurking for the past few weeks.  :ninja:

Edo  :hi: I think BUS's comments were maybe connected to the scottish politics thread (total guess but i think its been a heated thread - though some really fab debating. Quite enjoyed reading!). Hopefully he will come back when there are some racy charts to be had!

Cheers, I've had a wee look at some of the analogues just based on the ENSO and QBO states - some absolutely crackers in there, like 86-87 and 09-10 and it does look fairly promising for cold, particularly January, with a signal for stratospheric vortex disruption from early doors (I thought it was perhaps just 2009/10 'skewing' the signal but it remains even when that winter is taken out). If there is decent snow cover gain and the OPI is reasonable then we may well be in business.

• Like 7

Posted

Fine day again a bit overcast but 18.1c. Logging on the south side of the farm on a steep bank above a burn.Never been thinned since it was planted in 64. post-2744-0-62458900-1411905968_thumb.jp Amazing piece of kit harvesting some very steep slopes. post-2744-0-69982000-1411905996_thumb.jp post-2744-0-56895000-1411905954_thumb.jp    Two of our fields neighbouring this will finally grow something again when the shading is removed.

• Like 6

Posted

The odd sunny spell and feeling warm in the WSWly breeze. 20c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Been lurking for the last few weeks so thought I'd come out of my own summer hibernation.

Interesting to see what next weekend brings based on CMD's post. I do like benign weather in autumn but I not at the expense at the occasional low from the Atlantic. It's just some years they become a procession.

Been a while since we had significant rainfall as well so probably about time we got something a bit unsettled.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

loving the emoticon OTR...... I was worried it would be to do with politics......actually feared that may have cropped in to here so glad was kept in a seperate thread.....hopefully the first sign of northern blocking will see BUS return and realise the whole country was at it not just on here........ 

• Like 1

Posted

Compared to the last 5 weekends, which have been excellent in terms of dry sunny warm weather, this weekend has been a bit of a damp squib, thanks to the westerly airstream,. A dank mild often cloudy affair with bits of drizzle in the air, with fine conditions arriving too late in the day. Indeed its been a preety dull gloomy week, in contrast to last week when we faired very well, the shift in the wind to the west/sw being the cause.

The coming week looks a fairly cloudy affair with winds predominantly from between west and south, never good for the Lake District if you are after sunshine.

And at long last a pronounced change to unsettled windy conditions looks like surfacing in time for the weekend, with the first proper bout of disturbed autumnal weather, which will shake things up and change the overall feel of things markedly.

I'm still waiting for September to end, but thankfully it will very soon!

Posted

Decent enough weekend here in Aberdeenshire, dry, mild/warm but somewhat lacking in direct sun due to high-level cloud. Not too different this morning too, but a bit more blue sky than the last two days.

I sense that a bout of wet & windy weather might be welcomed by the residents of this thread. I wouldn't object to that myself, as long as it doesn't last weeks on end. I've no huge objection to the weather we've been having but it'll only really start feeling like Autumn once we get a half-decent storm or two Get that over with then we can start looking towards some of the white stuff, or at least a calm, cold frosty period to start off the winter.